Focbox Unity issues

According to whome? It’s just a 2.4 remote with a round case :neutral_face:

You can buy 5 minis for the same price and they are 100% reliable and comfortable.

Overhyped?

1 Like

This was my assessment of it. I was lucky enough to use one for 2 months this year and although it’s a good remote it’s very overpriced.

Short throw but precise throttle.
Good battery life
Comfortable to hold
Haptics (hardly ever used)

That’s what you are getting for the money

1 Like

Nah minis can’t take a 40mph slide on the street and still work, and they don’t look good. You get what you pay for with hoyt

1 Like

This is good info because it’s not a blanket statement based on personal opinion :+1:

The $100 puck will likely explode the same way the mini did but I get why people are chucking the money at pucks. The shape isn’t for everyone though, I dont like it myself.

This year the puck will have real competition in the strength department and we’ll all win.

1 Like

I found the puck impossible to hold. Felt like it would slip out of my gloved hand and when it happened a couple times my thumb always mushed the throttle and threw me off balance. I guess grip tape on the puck helps with that but @Sender’s didn’t have the grip.

The throttle is nice though. Still prefer trigger style.

2 Likes

The puck got marked in my pocket as there were a set of keys in there. Its made of soft bamboo right?

The throttle is good, I just found it a little short

1 Like

I have both mini and puck. Both are good. I prefer the Hoyt due to the throtlle throw being shorter than mini. The mini felt mushy throttle wise despite playing w ramp time and throttle curve. In contrast, didn’t have to do all that work for the Hoyt. All I had to change was POS ramp time to 0.2 because I wanted more ooomph.

1 Like

@rpasichnyk I seem to be encountering this issue too. Any idea whats going on here? Unity and Metr pro unity module seem to not be playing nice with each other during config

Not sure exactly what the issues are between Unity and Metr pro module. For now if you need to configure or update your Unity config., replacing the Metr pro module with the original Unity comm. platform would solve the problem.

There is a bug in UNITY firmware and 250k baud. I communicated this to Enertion and they confirmed the bug. Until there is an official fix you can use modified UNITY firmware with 115200 baud for internal UART port

(NOTE: the firmware below does not work with factory BLE module. Metr Pro module has baud autodetection and will work with both 115k and 250k baud)

https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0pnwaB-qs0BrIiF6OQYkH00QA#UNITY_23_44_btuart115200

3 Likes

I’ll give it a shot… factory BLE module never worked for me anyways so no love lost there :smiley:

I tried the new firmware.
It didn’t help with the issues with unity.
It still won’t save settings.
Removing the metr module from com port allows me to save settings again.

This caused a new problem. The metr app now no longer works. It gets connected but the green circle is flickering, no telemetry or setting data is being passed back to phone. Reverting to default enertion firmware, still same issue. Green Blue LEDs blinking

Wonder if they will ever release an updated Mac version of the Unity tool. It’s annoying to have to use dual boot to boot up windows just for this purpose. Admittedly for my car tuning software too but I havnt had to touch my car tune in 6 years lol.

1 Like

It very well could be a controller issue and I’ll know once the next one comes in. The suggestion of full throttle / brake had not worked, it’s something I have tried.

Though oddly, this doesn’t happen after every cycle of power. Sometimes the board can be off for 3 days and turn on and go fine, others not so. Sometimes the software likes to reset itself to original values and sometimes it holds its previous settings ( with no apparent rhythm. This has happened after a charge [ no battery disconnected ] and has happened just from one power cycle to the next [ no charge no battery disconnect ]). Most frustrating instance of this is when out ( ~ 12 miles from home ), the software reset, I opened up the app, re-calibrated everything, but could not get a motor ( either ) to flip direction. Having a dual rear drive, the motors are opposed and were spinning opposite of one another. Flip works flawlessly when USBC connected. Made for great burnouts.

Thanks for the replies / tips.

i’m getting real tired of the stupid microscopic pcb mounted fuse on the full voltage fuel guage port blowing. Sitting here trying to figure out why I have a full charge and nothing showing up on my fuel guage on my flipsky and viola, got shit for voltage on the port.

1 Like

Just an update:
I went ahead and picked up a Hoyt puck to replace the TB mini controller, gave the board a full charge and have ridden ~ 21 miles. My issues above with sudden braking & cold braking have disappeared. I still have the issue of the Unity resetting its values to default, however. Any insight/suggestions for this? (checked firmware up-to-date)

1 Like

Try clicking Read Current Config before setting up the values.

I also had my unity clear all is settings today. It’s happened a few times now and it’s fucking annoying.

Been riding for days without making any changes. Ride home from work fine. Give board to gf to practice on, she powers it up and gets on but it don’t go no where, motors just twitch. Unity forgot all it’s motor calibration and battery safety cutouts . But some how remote is still calibrated and app settings are still set.

Edit: then cause apps shit I can’t connect and redo motor calibrations. When I do it won’t let me write them to unity. Spend half hour fucking about trying to get it working before it finally writes motor calibration. It’s been find again ever since.

1 Like

Have you let Jeff know?

1 Like

Good guess, but this unfortunately isn’t an issue of me opening the app to check and seeing different values. Like Ducktaperules stated above, the motor calibration clears as well & suddenly the motors are no longer spinning ( just clicking ), and need to be calibrated… unfortunately the app doesn’t allow me to successfully change the motor direction after calibration ( sometimes the app sets them the right way, sometimes not ), so when away and this happens it’s the end of the ride.

1 Like