Focbox Unity issues

Did you confirm on your actual battery that it’s not the issue?

1 Like

I went for a ride about 6 miles I checked it after I got back its still on 90%

Im at work so I don’t have my tools

Edit .ler it sit wothout power for awhile and reconnected. To unity ui its fine now.

Today their was a release of a new firmware for Unity.
I highly recommend all to update to the newest firmware direct!

It fixed a bug that would allow battery A to draw double of what you set as max.
I think Enertion will make a announcement tomorrow about it.

9 Likes

Thanks for letting us know a new firmware was released! I fucking knew something was up when 15/20/25 amp settings showed 30/40/50 amps on the app. Good thing I tested my setup before riding all nilly-willy.

Typical issue of ESCs with two shunts only, like VESC 4.xx and Focboxes, Unity etc.
These can’t sample the current far away from the switching cycle. In consequence the ESC does not respond linear to throttle inputs. They jump from 80% to full throttle and there is nothing you can do software wise to compensate. On powerful, torque rich, heavily geared boards that is very noticeable and can cause trouble like you described.

There was a reason why Benjamin Vedder went for three shunt designs after the VESC 4.12.

https://www.vesc-project.com/node/403

4 Likes

@mmaner this should be pinned as a banner for everyone’s safety.

If we pinned every VESC issue there was there’d be nothing but pinned topics.

Just yesterday…

I was using vesc-tool 1.23, I d/l 1.25 because it bitched at me. The firmware revision is the same in the new version!

On a new firmware load and setup I got 120 second negative ramping time as default.

Oh, and reverse is still broken regardless of what everyone says.

5 Likes

What’s broken about it?

It doesn’t work for Nunchuck / VESC Remote. Maybe it does for the Wand but not for others.

can someone explain to me whats up with this fix. can you drain your battery lower than whats set without this fix?

=== FW 23.44 ===

• Fixed bug with bluetooth
  • Fixed bug that caused battery current limit to be per motor and not total
  • Fixed bug where disabling auto-shutdown also disabled the power switch from powering off
  • Patched bug with abs_over_current_fault being triggered from momentary spikes on ADC lines
  • Added some level of write protection for motor config by requiring that the motor config packet have correct length
  • Added some extra data to fault reporting
1 Like

Those two are related to FW 23.45. There is a mistake in the changelog:

1 Like

Why do i see that abs over current coming back… I was assured it wws solved prev patch…

Sorry it’s just sloppy patch notes copy paste by me. Somehow 23.44 and 23.45 got lumped together in the notes. I’ll fix it.

5 Likes

Fieeuuuwww :slight_smile:
(still going to wait until after the skate event of tomorrow :sweat_smile:

Not sure if this issue already been posted on this thread.

Direct battery measured 41V, Unity’ HUD showed 34.4v

2 Likes

@Deodand can you confirm something for me?

Should the unity max motor amp value be per motor or the sum of both? Scale indicates one motor.

2 Likes

Motor A per motor, Battery A total
120A battery A = 120 A
70 motor A =70+70A

10 Likes

Thank you for the confirmation.

3 Likes