FlexiBMS Lite - Flexible Configuration BMS w/ CAN-bus

I wrote up a quick setup guide for FlexiBMS + DAVEGA X. I believe the same is valid for FlexiBMS + Metr.

https://davega.eu/flexibms-setup

8 Likes

Perfect thanks!
Found my issue:
$38=1 (was 0, so Flexi couldn´t wake up)

2 Likes

Hi,
I’am runningen Davega X with the FlexiBMS (both with latest Firmware) .So fare everything works great but when I change the CAN ID (default 10) from FlexiBMS the BMS is not recognized anymore from the Davega X. Only with 10 it is working.
I want to use 2 FlexiBMS with one Davega X so i guess i need to change the CAN ID from one FlexiBMS.

Best
Philo

1 Like

1 board 2 batteries? :open_mouth:

Use 10 and 11.

Note.
This is one of my first videos where I’m putting myself out there on this kind of scale. I would appreciate constructive feedback, if you have any. Although I would expect that if I start making more videos, then I would start to slowly become more confident in front of the camera and with my speech.

Did I go too much into detail on the parameters or not? I know the video went on a bit long and I didn’t even get to properly doing the practical demonstration.

18 Likes

4WD. Wanted to keep battery cable as short as possible.

thx. Will check it out alter.

It’s good information. :+1:

I personally find it very difficult to do videos like this without preparation. Even when I have a good idea about the information I want to relay, I often get stuck looking for the right words.

I figured that if I first write down what I want to say, it helps me a lot in keeping the videos shorter and clearer. That’s even if I don’t read from the paper, which I mostly try to avoid. It’s mostly about getting the thoughts organized. You may give that a try. It takes some extra time but at least for me it’s definitely worth it.

5 Likes

Yes this workes. So when i understand it right there must be always one FlexiBMS with ID10 in the Chain.

I believe that both 10 and 11 work, even if there’s just one BMS.

Are you useing 2 separate vesc with there own battery? Linking the battery causes know complications and safety bypasses. Last I heard @SimosMCmuffin was working on communication between the BMS to over come this

If the batteries are completely independent, each connected to its own VESC, I don’t think there’s any issue.

The problem is if you have two battery packs that you connect in parallel since then they would be keeping the same voltage level automatically and thus if you charge any of the two packs, you’re automatically charging the other pack as well.

I have 2 vesc and 1 battery for each vesc. vesc are connected via CAN and the 2 BMS are on the same CAN BUS.But i charge them together. Seems to be no problem. Whre can i find the information about complications and saftey bypass from @SimosMCmuffin ?

1 Like

You be fine the issue is when the betrays are linked in parallel or series

1 Like

Every Bioboards Plutonium with 4wd have this setup.
2 of this is inside every board( it’s a flexi single layout bms) and it work fine.

7 Likes

Yes. Jan from Davega X already told me that this should work. Looks really nice and clean. My setup is a little bit more chaotic :smiley:

I tried a other CAN ID with one BMS it shows up in the “About” section of the Davega X Menu but BMS screen does not showup.

After switching the other Lite’s CAN ID to 11, did you save with $S and then reboot the unit with $K?

Yes I did. I also double checked with $L it was really saved. Strange is that in the CAN chain it is now working with ID10 and ID11. Only if I try it with one BMS only it is just working with ID 10.