FlexiBMS Lite - Flexible Configuration BMS w/ CAN-bus

Thank you Markus :slight_smile:

And remember to enable “detect diebiems” from Metr. Its a bit counter intuitive but you need to do it. Also have the board charging, then start up board, and then start up Metr. You should be able to then see FlexiBMS data in Metr when you tap the battery percentage icon/widget in realtime data.

1 Like

Where do you find that setting? Never seen it

4 Likes

Ah, can’t find it anymore. It was in Magic section of the settings. I suppose now you are supposed to set the battery type like in @GeorgS picture. Although it seems that mine is working nicely with just the basic Li-Ion setting.

Battery type is useful only in case of DieBieMS. Leave yours as Li-Ion. FlexiBMS does not support State of Charge (%) yet because it can not track capacity (discharge). At the moment 50% value is hardcoded in FlexiBMS firmware.

6 Likes

Your plan was the start of august. Any update on when it might go up? Has some thing set you back @SimosMCmuffin that your working on fixing?

Dose it have a final price also ?

For the sake of transparency and to update everyone on the situation I’ll tell what has been going on for the past 2 months.

I had assembled 25 boards on the PnP machine and thought after that to look into different open source autofeeder mechanisms that people had designed to either make or get ideas/concepts to design my own. Now in hindsight I should have stuck with my original setup for the feeders and just push through the original 100 board batch, but I went into my usual engineering R&D mindset and well, that was that, the curiosity killed the cat.

I started obsessively designing and prototyping a whole new design of a feeder with the mindset: “I’ll get the assembling done so much quicker once I finish this.”. Well this of course meant that board assembling progress halted completely. Designing the new feeder proved to be a bit more involved than what I had originally estimated and now I was deciding between the original slower working setup and investing more time to designing the feeder. AKA, the sunken cost fallacy.

In the end I leaned towards the new feeder, because I wanted to make my setup more modular anyway, so I can more easily change the component reels in the feeders. My HW team leader at the office actually asked if I could assemble for him some Commodore 64 hobby PCBs (I think it was a joystick adapter board) that he had designed.

There has been more development in the non-retail side and the FlexiBMS Lite design is in the process of getting incorporated to more products, but unfortunately that probably doesn’t interest the consumers/individuals as much as they are unable to get their hands on one unit commercially and I understand the frustration with that.

So, the question. How do I/we go on from here?
I do have those 25 boards that can be readied on a short notice. I can take orders for those, invoice the buyers directly and ship them out (once paid). The rest will get done once the new PnP setup gets done and will be sold and shipped out, as they get done.

When will the rest get done, if you didn’t manage to “snag” some of the available 25?
(AKA, when they get done. When is that? Don’t know)

On the side note, this whole process has helped me to realize that I am much more a R&D + product development oriented person. I find conceptualizing, developing and prototyping new products much more enjoyable, interesting and productive than managing manufacturing, which is largely a repeating of earlier motions, I like doing/discovering something new and I easily get bored after figuring out the “cycle” of things.

I’d say a much more productive overall setup would be to get someone to handle the manufacturing + shipping side of things and let me handle the development side, but at this point that is not possible due to not having enough cash flow in and lack of a workshop… Maybe do a test 100 board batch with an assembly house for a test run, if that would work better overall in this case… Well I guess I gotta push through this batch first and then see if there are other options.

Price is still planned to be 70€ (VAT inc. & also includes USB-connector) + other connectors & possible installation fees

9 Likes

totally understand that,
i’have some applications almost ready for commercialization that are sleeping on my hard drive because i never found the energy to do the paperwork and the management things…

it’s a shame because I’ve lost great occasions this way, but let’s face it : it’s so f***ing boring, and you need a certain state of mind to do this.

from experience it’s really difficult to find someone who neither try to steal your patent or isn’t enough motivated for him to do everything without you constatnly pushing behind his back…
and it’s also a quick way to loose friends…

I hope you get it all sorted and continue you’re R&D

3 Likes

:heart: :battery: :straight_ruler: :triangular_ruler:

1 Like

Let us now how and when :yum:

1 Like

I’ll make a google form (buy form) for it with the relevant questions, I can then directly invoice the buyers to their emails.

I’ll need to check couple things with accounting about paypal payments.

I’ll tell when it’s ready and inform at what time the form opens, so you don’t need to camp the thread wearing out your F5 key.

2 Likes

haha the F5 wasjust on my mind, would like 3 of these :smiley:

Now now don’t be greedy! :rofl: Some of us peasants need only one :heart:

2 Likes

I’m hope you can find a way to get these out into the world

Maybe an agreement with a business that already produces and sells things like this
Like bioboards
Or laquoix

1 Like

To late FlexiBMS 0.2HW has been 2 1/2 years in develment had a old battry pack of R25 been that long bashing the f keys sins It Bestech BMS failed. Building a new 12s pack for a new board now. Just looking thro the thread for the bleed resister size or if I should bery a temp sencer in the pack

Edit 0.085A so any size fuse or balance leads AWG

1 Like

Ive got 6 esk8’s so 3 seemed reasonable - the rest of the builds are high end parts but sourcing BMS’s has been tough. for smart BMS/Can bus functions missed Diebiebms more times than id like to admit

You could buy one and install balance ports on your boards :wink:

Dose the bms have a configurable charge cutoff? Can you decide at what voltage the balanceing starts and the acracy?