FlexiBMS Lite - Flexible Configuration BMS w/ CAN-bus

I’m not in the EU so I can’t participate in this purchase, but I’m looking forward to the official release.

3 Likes

not in EU but signed up anyway, this is definitely going to be a game changer for me and my battery builds

1 Like

There’s also DAVEGA X integration.

27 Likes

Oh Jan. This is super sex.

4 Likes

Nooooooooooooooooo!!!
Did I just missed the sale, these things are like unicorns.
You keep heard great things about them but you never actually see one in person.

@SimosMCmuffin I was wondering since the first 10 personal boards are sold when you do planning on taking orders on your new website (batch of 100)? link?

Also I am a Amazon Software Engineer, I been building mobile apps for awhile now. I just been looking for a BMS that can send data VIA canBus. I am planning on building a really nice Bluetooth app with a apple watch companion. I would also to love to join this project in term of helping launch a open source github mobile app.

2 Likes

@SimosMCmuffin p.s. It not to late to send me another on if you have an extra lying around :slight_smile: .

I also want to say great job, I been reading through all of your work for a while now. What you have made is really impressive.

1 Like

Selected respondents have been contacted and details will be sorted with them via PMs.

Just missed it, sorry.

I’ll probably be able to start assembling the big batch at some point next week, when all components and boards arrive. Once I get 40+ done, I’ll see about finishing the online store, activating the payment processor (have already selected who I’m going to use) and bringing it online.

I’m guesstimating the store might be online and functioning in 3-4 weeks.

Have you checked the Metr application?
https://metr.at/

I’m currently writing guides in the project’s github Wiki pages and I’ll create the public FlexiBMS Lite troubleshooting and feedback thread here tomorrow.

13 Likes

I have seen metr app. I just think the flow could be improved as well as how the more thing in the app can be automated. Lastly, I always trying to pick up new projects, what the fun it buying something that premade when you can do it yourself :slight_smile: . I would still require a BMS that can send data VIA canBus to integrate support for cell monitoring, that why I am looking at Canbus BMS right now. It only seem like you and DieBieMS are the only ones doing this right now.

@SimosMCmuffin

9 out of 10 boards packaged up and waiting for me to drop them at the post office.

Waiting for a reply from 1 respondent about their wanted board configuration.

I’ll make the public troubleshooting and support thread now.

10 Likes

Been playing around pushing the DPS5020 I did have at 40mm extract fan but the inbuilt fans from the meanwell RSP1000 PSU push the exhaust over the buck converter so hard it wasn’t needed.

Thinking about making more vent holes at the back top and sides after the buck converter instead (I think with the format I have it’s recirculating the warm air a lot)
reinforcing the wall thickness at the back wall.
Adding a switched IEC

2 Likes

What happens when the battery is finished charging? does the DPS5020 shut off?

I’ve found this thread and the product team ally appealing thanks for making it.

with the higher voltage Escs starting to appear do you have any interest in making a version for 13s-20s? That would also expose you to other EV vehicles which tend to run higher voltages.

The DaveGA/Metr interaction is killer

4 Likes

You can split battery in 2 packs and use 2 x FlexiBMS for 20s. Or not? Maybe I am wrong.

4 Likes

You can definitely do that :muscle:

2 Likes

Good idea but means a pricey and larger BMS footprint + I can foresee this cfg not being very nicely incorporated into Metr (? lol gotcha) & DaveGA multiple device over CAN notwithstanding…still good thoughts & maybe I am the one who is very wrong on that. Frankly if that cfg was not nicely incorporated would personally prefer a typical AliE smart BMS or Neptune BMS and separate BMS app.

I guess my point is we are on the verge of 13s-20s there is little doubt of that & perhaps that may shine a future-forward light to the h/w designers of a gap & perhaps they could spend some time addressing this need.

I mean this BMS is likely the DieBieMS of 2020.

3 Likes

2 x flexi is probably less than half the size of one diebiems.

5 Likes

Don’t you dare predict it the “discontinued and breaking easily” fate!

1 Like

Can’t use CAN-communication with the higher pack one, because it’s ground reference is way higher. If you just use it to control the charging, then it can work, but you also you need to have a isolated outputs on the chargers, if you want to charge both packs at the same time.

I have rolled the concept of a bigger FlexiBMS board for higher voltages (6S-18S) around, but have been focusing on getting the Lite out there first. Mainly looking at what key ICs to build it around.

The Lite is roughly the fifth the size of DieBieMS
Lite: 62,5 x 26,5 mm

140x70 i think, but better check the original diebiems thread.

Edit: I checked 140x60x15mm

3 Likes

Holy shit.

Look at this multi-thousand dollar electric motorcycle and it’s glorious charging system…
4x MeanWell HLG-320H-54A LED DRIVERS!

I guess the battery pack has is partitioned to 4 packs that each of the led drivers charge independently, each with their own BMS circuits.

4 Likes