First DIY build, thoughts/feedback?

Disclaimer: I am grateful that the VESC Tool is made available and updated in a free form for anyone who wants to use it and BV is a boss for keeping it open source.

VESC Tool has everything you need to do the job but I don’t exactly look forward to using the interface. I cannot tell you how many times I have had to update firmware that I was certain was already updated. Or the many times I read settings, make changes, write them and read again to confirm that they took but the setting has changed back to a default. Occasional terrible default values are another aspect that make it not new-user friendly. If I get through the whole programming ordeal without any unexpected weirdness or connection issues to my hardware I feel like I successfully navigated a mine field.

You are right about this but it may give you a false sense of confidence bc things seem to work after a quick process, but there are still a lot of values that need tweaking before I want to go for a ride.

2 Likes

I’m curious to know what you tweak, after years of use I still do the mandatory stuff and that’s it

Does anyone have experience with the Xenith easy UI?

2 Likes

@Balta_6 - below are the things that I like to change from default settings every time:

Duty Cycle Current Limit Start - change from 100% to 85%
Fault Stop Time - change from 500ms to between 50ms and 85ms
traction control - change to ‘true’
Battery Current Max - not the default 99.0 A - set depending on battery, ESC, and riding conditions (air temperature and terrain)
Battery Current Max Regen - not the default -60.0 A

If I am using a PPM/PWM remote instead of UART I cannot stand the default throttle curve. It feels twitchy and is difficult for me to control. I change the expo mode to ‘natural’, the “throttle expo” to -20, and the “throttle expo brake” to -20.

I also like to go into the ‘FOC’ tab. Sometimes I get better results manually detecting each parameter than I do with just running the wizard but I have no clue why that is. Maybe I just feel better seeing all of the boxes turn green.

I also like to make sure that the low battery cut off is set to something reasonable. The recent versions of VESC Tool that I have used have had pretty good default settings as long as you are careful to specify how many cells you have in series and your cell chemistry, but that was not always the case.

4 Likes

Finally the last step! Please help :rofl:

1 Like

Run the wizard bruh, easy peasy

(choose medium)

2 Likes

That’s all I have ever changed in VESC tool.

Well apart from making this line look more stylish, but that’s totally optional

2 Likes

So apparently I’ve got a faulty xenith (won’t power on). Looks like esc’s are super hard to get atm. I can probably get my hands on a stormcore 60d, thoughts on these vs xenith? Or does anyone have any other recommendations?

1 Like

I bought one of these as everyone on this forum was getting super excited about them, still yet to get in on my deck, but we can safely say, people will rate this as a good choice. I’m sad not to be an iPhone user for the first time in my life.

My boards are currently rocking FSESC 6.6 from Flipsky. They’ve been good to me so far, although harder to find people to say good words about them as some people have trouble.

1 Like

Ahh I’m an Android user too, will put not work work the vesc app?

It still does work with the VESC app, I think it even has a built in Bluetooth receiver.

@Venom121212 Any comments on the Stormcore internal Bluetooth?

Stormcore have their own app that looks great for tracking and logging, that’s currently only apple, but I think they are working on the Android one.

1 Like

…what will you do about the Xenith? Pretty sure if it’s faulty the distributer can help. Others may know more…

Yeah I’m going down the route, problem is they seem to be out of stock everywhere

It’s been working flawlessly for me with vesc tool. No random cutouts or lost settings like the unity had.

2 Likes

I have one for sale if interested!

The torque appears to be in newton meters and foot pounds. This means that no matter what size wheel you have, the torque will be the same. Torque is just the force at X distance away from center. I hope this makes sense over text.

Its kind of like RPM… no matter what size your tire is, the RPM remains the same, but when applying RPM to other equations we can find out that tire size affects speed.

Likewise, tire size will affect acceleration but not torque.

ps. I know im late, but I lurk and appreciate the late replies other users leave. Also because I lurk, I can now feel bad about spending $500 on motors that are 40kv higher than what I am capable of riding(or at least safely riding after ending up in the hospital last week) all because I haven’t asked for feedback on this surprise project.

3 Likes

Thanks mate, that makes sense and is super helpful

Ahh that makes perfect sense now. Shoulda payed more attention to my units!

I suppose that calculated number divided by tire diameter would give a better metric for a “perceived torque” and what makes a torquey ride vs not.

Ie 100 Nm on 110s vs 225mm wheels… One would feel quite different than the other.

1 Like

And here she is! Stoked with the result

6 Likes

Crazy build man! Looks awesome, makes mine look like a toy (I realize the irony of this statement, but it’s meant in relativity). What motos did you end up going with? You should share a bit more regarding the specs of the final product and if anything has changed like the unity did…

1 Like