First build, Octagon, DIY NKP 3-Link

I’ve tried to copy Ron Paulk from his YouTube channel for his mobile workshop. He’s very organized and functional and I’m the exact opposite. Maybe some day I’ll learn to clean as I go, but probably not!

1 Like

I’m in the process of making my own board. The one I made for my son is working well, but the 8mm threaded rods bend under impact with my 220 lb load. Basically, any hard sidewalk joint or bump hit at speed causes the rod to bend just outside of the octagonal coupling. Still rides OK, but gives the wheels an inward bend… But it supports my son fine as he’s about 160 lbs. Switching out the rods isn’t a big deal… but he’s tired of me bending them :slight_smile:

So I’m going with pneumatics and a 16 mm threaded rod and using 6904-2RS bearings (37mm OD / 20mm ID). This supports a 4mm wide sleeve between the rod and bearing. I like the fatter tires from XCELL, so my rims are 94mm dia and 52mm wide. Hopefully get some soon when their next batch arrives. If I machine everything right, the aluminum cross bar will screw into the truck and stabilize it - right now it tends to try and rotate the motor plates due to the torque from the belts. I’m using some zip ties at the moment to stop that - hopefully this solves that issue.

Got the first wheel done, just need to make three more :slight_smile:

Couple other different items, going with the MakerX DV6 Pro instead of Flipsky… planning on a Hoyt puck or something similar / DIY… Trying to see if I can have space for the DaVega, but the lights I like take up the top of the front and back trucks… And some LEDs around the side per Maxkogo system… I’ve had good luck with the Flipsky 190kV motors but am looking at alternatives as well. Gonna go with the 21700 Molicels as well instead of 18650 but still use the @Winfly battery holders with braided wire. I mill those from Delrin versus 3D printing.

16 Likes

@MarkVa1 shame on you! You forgot to wind your own motors!

4 Likes

I actually read enough about battle hardening to know I wanted nothing to do with it! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

This will for sure make an awesome 2nd build! Lots of premium parts here. Flipsky battle hardened 6374s are some of the best bang for your buck these days - doubt you will find much better.

If I may suggest an alternative on the battery holders - look into NESE battery modules:

Similar to your first build modules, but have undergone a good bit more testing and development. Good experience on the forum as well.

2 Likes

Thanks. I did look into those and they seem to work well. My only concern with the 3D printed holders from @Winfly was the print included a small nub above the battery terminals. The concept seemed to be the screws into the nylon holders would put pressure on these nubs to help ensure a secure connection of the braided tin wire to the terminals. By milling on my CNC out of Delrin, I have a threaded hole above the terminals for a set screw. I think that puts good pressure on the braided tin wire at the terminal location. Haven’t had any set screws loosen or become an issue with my current battery so I’ll stick to this…

Stunning work, fantastic. The ascetic is perfect. It was a hard call between this and the cyboard,for me ,this slightly edged it , but I’m a knob. If I had this type of skill I’d never leave the work shop. Is it hard to not just hang it on a wall and stare at it? Bravo

4 Likes