Firesafe board storage container

Fire blanked and pour 5-10L of salt water on it. Fire blanket will help to contain the flames as minimum to some extent and water to cool everything down and also helps that surroundings do not catch on fire directly.
That’s also about all you can do if it happens inside before the room is fully filled with smoke. There is really just a window of maybe 30 seconds in which you can do anything at all. I definitely recommend to have the blanket and water always nearby your board, so it’s just a take, throw and run thing.

I wouldn’t consider any poles or similar to take the board out. If your board is on fire, there can be instand flame bursts of 1-2m easy. Not to speak about liquid plastic and rubber flying around when cells explode. That’s nothing you want to hold close to you in this moment.
If the board is stored in a real fire proof bag (not one of those which do not work at all) you might be able to get the board out of the flat thou.

If I had a bigger flat, garage or something, I personally would reserve a small room without anything else than my boards getting stored there. I would install a sprinkler system there as well. Doesn’t need to be something fancy. Maybe just a sprinkler for the garden mounted on the wall or similar.

1 Like

Ah ok salt water sounds like a great idea, and yeah good pointer on storing that stuff super close by. I’ll probably put it above the charging area.

@Andy87, I would recommend not using salt water.
It increases the chances of getting shocked by the pack, will cause more damage to stuff in the room, and won’t help cool the cells below the runaway temp threshold any more effectively than plain water.

Water and aqueous firefighting solutions are very effective in stopping li-ion thermal runaway reactions though if you have enough of it.

2 Likes

My plan when I’m at home is to constantly have my tub full of water and have the board resting across the top of the tub. If it starts to explode I should be able to chuck it in the water quickly.

The problem is I do not know how to store my board when I’m not home. I live in a apartment. We have a shared room on the ground floor for strollers and cellar storage compartments. The best option I think would be to store it on my balcony. But we have freezing winters here and that might actually be a cause for a fire.

Could there be a way to store the board on my balcony, in a box with heating of some sort? That would give me peace of mind I think :thinking:

1 Like

this is a bit… unnecessary?

if you are that concerned your board will catch fire at ANY moment , you may want to reconsider having that battery in the first place
(quick note, water won’t stop the lipo fire, tho it does keep other stuff from burning)

your best practice for storing would be to kep it in the least flammable spot possible, away from heat and moisture. store the board at 3.8V per cell when not using it within 24-48 hours
don’t leave it plugged in unless you are immediately present

2 Likes

I just had a what I think is a great idea! My storage solution is to put the whole board in a giant, waterproof zip-lock bag. Submerged under water in the tub. If the batteries starts to burn. Before long the bag melts. Then in a moment it’s in water.

What do you think? :grinning::pray:

hefty hefty hefty :joy:

1 Like

What @poastoast said. Could also check out @Sk8tedad cave for the exploration he has done. I think waterproof bag you’re more likely to just ruin your board.

Ok my I’m just paranoid. I want to do what I can to minimize the risks because I have a small child at home with my partner.
I’ve read through the thread but have really seen any replicable solution?
What does it mean to keep the volts at that level? I don’t have any measuring tools. Just the charger and app :joy:. Thank you :pray:

3.8V * [number of cells in series] = the overall pack voltage you should keep your board at for storage. if it’s like short short term, i believe you can go as low as 3.5V per cell, but for anything long term you will have less chance of the pack dying on you while you’re gone if you out them at 3.8-3.9V per cell

there are many apps that are used in esk8, which one are you referring to?

I have a Tynee Stinger board. With the Tuya smart -app

2 Likes

ohh, it’s a prebuilt

i got no clue what the tuya app does but i’m assuming it can’t tell you battery levels

if you can see battery percent or dots on your remote, 30% or 2/5 dots is where you want to be

Yes

Does having it at 30% reduce the chances of fire. Or does it reduce the intensity of such a scenario?

This winter I’m building a box 2 feet deep out of metal or a suitable material. My plan is to have my boards in the box for charging. On a metal rack 1’ above it I’ll suspend the amount of perlite to fill the box,using a metal open grid shelf. I’ll use a thin paper membrane to suspend the perlite,if a fire occurs the perlite will be released by the flame and smother and dissipate the heat. I already. Have domestic water plumed to industrial sprinkler heads. So I have a 2 prong approach. 1 is cover the lithium fire,try to dissipate the heat,2 is suppress other flammable materials.

I think I want an exhaust fan but I have to think about it make sure I don’t add to the problem but I’d like to manage the smoke as well, we have an old septic tank I could route the exhaust to pretty easily

1 Like

Keep in mind I’m a idiot trying to protect my hobby family and house,I don’t know shit

I don’t believe freezing temperatures are actually an issue for the battery as long as you don’t charge it. You’re not supposed to charge Li-ion cells at sub-zero temperatures. Storing them is fine though. I keep my board outside all year long. The lowest we get is around -10 Celsius. It has never been an issue.

3 Likes

boooooooooooth
like a balloon

you blow it :smirk: to 100% it’s got more potential to pop and when it does it pops

but blow it :smirk: to 30% it’s more “relaxed” ans doesn’t pop

it’s also better for the battery health

Because of the battery?
IIRC all of the cells we use are rated for down to -20°C for storage. Some even down to -40°C. Check the datasheet for the cells in your pack but you should be okay leaving the board outside.

Just never try to charge the pack until it has warmed up to room temp and any condensation has evaporated (which could take a day, even longer). Probably best to keep the board inside a large air-tight bag of some sort when it’s outside so there’s no condensation. Garment storage bag?

given it’s a tynee board…. i don’t have high hopes that they’re quality cells