Finally a Landyachtz esk8 deck ??

42+" reinforced Evos and Switchblades.

End of thread.

8 Likes

What about the Stratus 46 Spectrum as the basis for this? 46 inches long, good width etc. Pretty long wheelbase. If it was more rigid, how would that work for someone of your height?

1 Like

Long and wide tails will bite motors and larger wheels. 46" length is sweet though. We like big batteries.

3 Likes

I don’t like the look of it to be honest. I’m in love with the evo design. :alien: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Some key points for your guys:
Esk8 has huge wheels compared to analog. As such, the biggest problem with what I consider your most popular decks in the electric scene(switchblade and Evo) is potential wheel bite(more so on the switchblade)

Vibration is constant and extreme. Reinforcing a deck is good, but what loaded did with the motherboard and TPU reinforcement for vibration dampening sounds awesome.

The main point of breakage is the mounting “tails,” almost every single time I see a deck break, that’s where it breaks. If you’re going to reinforce anything make it those necks.

Routed out bottoms are simple and awesome, more electronics inside, less bulk outside.

12 Likes

I think something with a drop will do more,
when you put 110 wheels and add rizers to get clear of wheelbite you find yourself so high from the ground you have not the slightest chance of footbraking ever

Plutonium is sort of the biggest brother in the evo family, minus the the nose and tail angles

3 Likes

That makes sense. I’ve never riden an esk8 so this is useful for me.

As for the break points, I agree. From what I’ve seen online the failures almost always occur there and it’s way above our usual failure rates. Fiberglass should fix that though.

2 Likes

idealy it should keep some flew for dampening though, except if its for super fast builds, maybe you could propose the same deck with different numbers of plys like we do for mountainboards ?

This way off topic, but are any of you familiar with Beercan Boards? They’re all aluminum. They have a shape pretty similar to our Switchblade but it’s 42 inches.

5 Likes

It’d be tricky to mount a cradle to one to hold your controllers and battery etc, but it’d be a decent thing.

1 Like

Yesssss beercan boards are nice. I’ve only seen one electrified so far.
But, I was talking to them a few months ago and they’re also looking into electric-specific models. There whole lineup is pretty e-friendly anyways, if you ask me.

1 Like

They are. We supply them with trucks at the moment so I only came across them by chance. Never seen one in real life.

1 Like

The problem, from what I gathered, is that their machines are built specifically to bend the metal into that shape, hence the similar frame on all of them. While that frame is actually pretty ok for mounting an enclosure, it gets in the way of the electronics, useable space suffers hard.

If we’re talking about similarities the Rayne Demonseed is functionally similar to the Switchblade with a few more length options, and slightly better for electrification because of truck clearance and stuff. Could be worth looking into for ideas.

Honestly a Switchblade with the truck mounting holes an inch further out both sides and a corresponding fork reinforcement would probably solve most of the problems. We’d even be able to use our existing enclosures!

7 Likes

Great to see you active on here @its.ibbo ! I personally own 4 switchblades, so I’m a huge fan of Landyachtz :smile:

First I will add a +1 to the suggestions others mentioned for an esk8 version of the switchblade:

Esk8 Switchblade

• Truck mounting points need to be extended to help with wheelbite. + The concave of the deck is too close to the current truck mounting holes, so using a flat backing plate on the bottom doesn’t really work / the plate will bend
  • Deck needs to be reinforced with fiberglass. If you were to extend the wheelbase on the current version, it flexes way too much (2nd board in this video):
    Switchblade flexiness - YouTube

And as a bonus feature, a lot of esk8 specific decks actually have the sides of the board thicker (for rigidity) and the middle cut out on the bottom so that there’s more space for batteries and electronics. Here’s a picture of the Hummie deck as an example:

I personally think it makes building a lot more convenient, and allows for slimmer enclosures :sunglasses:

Esk8 Evo

I’ve also built and ridden a few electric Evos, and I gotta say – the standing platform on the 40" Evo is not as wide as on the Switchblade. Feels a bit cramped, which is not good for stability. I’m sure many of us would die for a 42" Evo :heart_eyes_cat:

Also, I really like that with gear drive setups you can forward mount the motors on an Evo and still have them high above the ground for clearance. However with belt drives you need the motor further away for good belt tension, so an Evo with an even longer tail so that there’s more room for forward facing motors would also be amazing :smiley:

(And of course, a middle cutout for more enclosure space is always awesome)

Other crazy esk8 deck ideas

• A Switchblade with angled deck ends for channel trucks / adjustable baseplates. Helps lower the standing platform for boards with really big wheels and trucks.
  • A switchblade that was 2-4" longer and 1-2" wider. I’m a tall guy with big feet, I think more room for a bigger battery would be great :smiley:
  • A lot of people pay stupid amounts of money for this discontinued Lacroix Prototipo deck (manufactured by Zenith I believe):

If you could just shamelessly copy that (Lacroix and Zenith won’t for some reason) or just make something similar or possibly even better (a short board with angled ends), that would be greaaaaat :laughing: :money_with_wings: :money_with_wings: :money_with_wings:

25 Likes

That’s a lot of information! Thanks for the education on esk8’s there.

9 Likes

One important thing I forgot to mention: don’t add carbon fiber layers to the deck please! Carbon fiber blocks radio signals which we need for our remotes and bluetooth and gps :sweat_smile:

(Of course, there are some esk8 decks that do use CF for the strength / flex they want, but just know that it comes with its downsides)

5 Likes

I didn’t know carbon fiber did that! Fiberglass would be the most likely material to use anyway, it’s cheaper and easier to work with and maple/fiberglass layering is already a part of our manufacturing process for some decks such as the ATV-X models.

8 Likes

Also, what would be your thoughts on a foam grip tape to help control vibrations to your feet? If you check the landyachtz website you can see it on our snowskates. It’s kind of like a foam sandpaper.

5 Likes