Fiberglass & other Composites (I am incapable of seriousness)

Hi everyone!
Amidst all of the covid shenanigans, I have been de facto evicted from my previous residence. The good news is that now that I’m back home for the summer early, so I have access to workshop space and can start work on weird and wonderful fuckery projects.

What I currently have in the works is an exciting project based around me buying too much supplies for a fiberglass enclosure. I’m planning on building a custom composite deck with an integrated enclosure, embedded motor wires, and any other bells n’ whistles me and the other fuckwits cherished friends can whip up.

The current plan is to use a polystyrene foam core with several laminations of 250gsm fiberglass, bulking up the thicker areas with some strand mat. I’ve also been thinking about reinforcing the composite with other materials like chicken wire or something but that’s probably just overkill.

Since I had an incident involving water ingress with my current build, I will be moving everything that’s still alive from that board over to this one which will hopefully be much more water resistant (leaving enough room for some neoboxes in case my unity can’t be revived though :stuck_out_tongue:)…

Anyway, that’s enough of me gabbing - what I’m gettin’ at is that I want to open up a discussion on fiberglass and other composites, to hopefully push this project to be somethin’ real neato.

EDITS:

• folks have suggested vacuum bagging is a good idea so I will be acquiring a bag to hook up to my shopvac to do that
  • As a compromise for Mr. Dirt Surfer, I’m working on an idea for the lid which will satisfy both the water ingress and look and feel concerns - updates to come.
10 Likes

Forget chikken wire… For a foam core construction look to surf board constuction or even aircraft construction where they often use hexcore (think aircraft quality cardboard construction) but with aluminum… Have fun… Seems like a fun project…

1 Like

I have played a bit with fibreglass. It’s tedious.

4 Likes

Awesome thread! Definitely looking there for pointers…
Would you say the vac bag is necessary for doing fibreglass?

1 Like

I will never use it again :joy:

Vacuum infusion is something I would like to try though.

3 Likes

Alright, noted - no sucky sucky bag :laughing:

1 Like

@rosco is about to chime in, dude has also done some good stuff :ok_hand:

1 Like

Vac bag can help with strength for your parts.

It’s a bit of a mission but prob worth it if you have all the bits needed for the setup.

3 Likes

I’ve heard that all you really need for vac bagging is one of those vacuum packing bags for clothes and a shopvac… Would that be functional or is a proper setup necessary?

1 Like

I believe there are proper bags that stretch a bit to help eliminate crinkles

1 Like

Could be. How good are you with sealing the bag?

I used a pump and control valve which turn it on and off, on which you can also adjust the pressure. It can hold plenty of vacuum for as long as needed to cure.

3 Likes

That’s how the roarockit kits work and people seem to get decent results with them.

(I have no experience with those though, and all my bags seem to leak air from somewhere! - the pump I use cycles on and off to hold vacuum)

2 Likes

I guess the question then is is the improvement from just regular laminating worth the extra effort of bagging?

I know the guys who do fiberglass for boats don’t use vacuum… Plus I’m not too keen on spending extra bux on equipment I’ll probably use once :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Some boatbuilders do.
It is extra cost.
If you get a result you are happy with on the first time , you will be a lot better than me :joy:

4 Likes

if you’re serious about doing it I’d say yes… the propensity of weight of a composite deck is the resin, and vac. bagging the board will allow you to use less resin, and make a stronger lighter safer better laminated board…

if you’re just doing it to do something… just do it…

8 Likes

Dunno if this link will work - old forum. You’ve probably seen this, but if not - Whitepony inspiration

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=81928

7 Likes

I’ll have something on this soon in a write up for easy bagging. It’s worth it

3 Likes

Good reads…
Looking like vacuum bagging is the way to go atm.
Fortunately, a fuckwit friend has experience with vac bagging carbon fiber laminates for auto parts, so that will be helpful.
I’m not too worried about surface finish because I’ll be sanding everything anyway to prep for coatings (ruggedized rubber roadside and maybe glass frit topside?)
Also, here’s some very crude cad of how I’m thinking it’ll look…

The shape of the inner compartment is definitely going to change, along with most of the curves being softened to a more organic shape…

4 Likes

Why go with the lid on top? I don’t understand why so many integrated decks have the lid on top. To me it makes much more sense to have the lid on the bottom.

4 Likes

This was a two-fold decision for me…

1. fiberglass is much stronger in tension than in compression, so the bottom is doing more of the load-bearing.
  2. water has to go farther to get inside