FAULT_CODE_OVER_TEMP_MOTOR (feat crash at 47kph)

and funky temp filtering

1 Like

yeah. EMI is what everyone is saying.

but that guy with the super wild swings on the unity. thatā€™s crazy. even for EMI

I was excited to get motors with temp sensors but reading all of the triggered faults lets me think i unplug the temp cable.

3 Likes

This doesnā€™t happen to every setup. probably not even the majority.

1 Like

Hy @All !!
Im also running into the issue with the over temp readings
Im running a dual setup with 2 focboxes and 2 aps6374s motors
Im getting the temp error also when i lift my board up and let the wheels spin in tge air so without lot of wheigt on the board
Regarding my xmatic readings the temp jumps from 54 up to 75 and then over and over till the error pops up
The motors are not very hot i can touch them with ease
Now before im going to remove the temp wire i wanna ask if a firmware update could solve this?
And my next question is which firmware can i upgrade my focboxes too without damaging them
Im runnin the ackmaniac tool btw
Thx very much guys

Thatā€™s some wild temp swings. possiboly more than noise. possibly broken cables.

Wild temperature noise should likely be addressed at hardware maybe some of these solutions.

• fix broken wires.
  • better routing of sensor wires. ( avoid unpaired routes to avoid receiving emf. )
  • twisting of phase wires to reduce emf.
  • shielding the sensor wires from the phase wires.

as a workaround you can depin the temperature sensor wire.

Newer 5.02 beta firmware (actually 5.01 but that has other issues) has increased software low pass filtering which will take care of some noise but wonā€™t a fix for everything.

so short answer to your specific question. It might help.

1 Like

Thx very much!!
What kind of isolation works best for the sensor wires?
Do you have any experiences?

Kr

@Sharky Iā€™ve heard of people taking shielded HDMI cables, and just using that for the sensor wires. Could also use a shielded USB cable but they only have 4 conductors and you need 6 for sensors + temp.

1 Like

Is it possible to have the vesc ignore the temperature as a security (i.e faulting over it) but still displaying it?

Iā€™ve been running motors without temp sensor ever since i started, now i have new motors with it but donā€™t want to risk a software based fault. Of course its there for a reason but i know my motors and have yet to bring them to a critical state. Iā€™m just interested in the value, but not the safety aspect as stupid as it may sound.

Yeah it would be cool to dissable tht in the vesc or set it soo high it never get reached

i think setting it higher is possible but you need a fork for the fw (???) donā€™t quote me on that. Somebody talked about that with MikEEEE.

Whts meant by fork for the fw?

You have to change the base code from the software and recompile it. That makes a fork. (If i talk bullshit, please correct me)

Ah ok got it thx!!
I think ill try the isolation and if thts not fixing it ill disconect the temp wire
Tbh i dont care which temp the motors have they just should not stop at high temps i dont want to bite the street at 40mph

Thx very much

Thank you a lot ill try some possible solutions you posted
Thx man

1 Like

if nothing works, thatā€™s the step that will work 10p%

1 Like

would be nice. but no.

Yeah i dint wanna miss the foc functionality so this will be the way to go i think
Anyways ill isolate the wires before by switching cat7 cable

1 Like

I havenā€™t gotten far enough down those experiments. so I donā€™t know.
report your findings.