Everything that makes your ride safe

Can anyone recommend summer centric safety gear, for some of us in the steamy sauna regions of the globe? Wearing inch kevlar laden jackets are a definite death by heatstroke…

1 Like

@taz can tell the jacket he uses

2 Likes

hmm my recommendation would be to only wear knee / slidegloves / helmet and try to make it a second nature to be able to do this, but with hands on the floor aswell

this is one of the main reasons i made my remote into a puck style one

one heads up would be to not try this with cheap kneepads that slide off your knees :heart:

1 Like

Have you seen rheostatic brakes? You wire them in parallel with your battery and it will bleed off excess braking current into heat.

I still had full brakes on full charge.

3 Likes

Not safety gear but I belive stretching makes your ride safer. I typically do a couple standing toe touches, sitting toe touches, ankle stretches and back stretches. Basically I try to warm up most of my muscles that would be used during riding or stretched in a fall. I think it has helped reduce injury a couple times and makes the initial first few miles more comfortable and confident.

9 Likes

Get low profile paddings. Or G forms. Where we’re going we probably dont need heavy duty protection, G forms are good for that.

2 Likes

I just added the elbow pads to my list moments ago!

Any specific ones you like?

Nice, I got the elbow pro ones as well.

For knee, I got the knee + shin guard protection as well. I feel it’s safer than just the knee cus you’ll never know when your fall ends up with a metal pole banging on to your shin.

4 Likes

Woah!.. that’s Stark territory. you don’t sweat puddles in that thing?

1 Like

It’s a small percentage of spandex, and other materials similar to dry fit. The stretchy material is fairly thin so it’s quite alright.

2 Likes

Ok, I’ll take your word for it… looks like a toss in the laundry after every use for me though!

I wash it after 2 rides. Also I hardly wear them now since the regulations.

I am kinda pushing my luck with safety sometimes, but i do keep a lookout and am always on alert on things in front, and at the sides.

So far my falls have always been low speeds like 10km/h, and was caused by the dumbest things like running over a mango, having the front wheel accidentally leave the pavement and onto grass etc :scream:

5 Likes

Gotta watch out for dem mangoes! :grimacing:

2 Likes

i wish i could have that problem :heart:

5 Likes

Stretching is always a good idea. You’ll need the warmed up muscles when you fall and it helps less lactic acid build up which makes for longer rides and less soreness.

3 Likes

Isn’t the idea of a rheostatic to just brake across a phat resistor instead of your battery?
Correct me if I’m wrong lol.

So, I used these pads for a week, fell at 15 MPH, and never used them again. I ended up hurting my knee pretty bad because the soft pad stopped me from sliding. I went to a plastic shell knee pad. I had a fall at about 35 MPH and did not get hurt because I slid instead of stopped. Definitely better than nothing, though.

6 Likes

My ESCs either have rheostatic brakes or reverse torque brakes built in, they also brake from full charge. I should ask HW what they did with the Max6. It’s still all electric though.

You wire in parallel with your battery so it splits it. Maytech was making it seem like it somehow “knows” to only start drawing regen amps when the pack is full. I didn’t set any input voltage value though so how exactly would it know?

I think it just splits it even personally. Someone else can correct me if I’m really wrong.

2 Likes