ESK8 Racing needs our help to grow

Exactly. That would be cool.

Sometimes its also a matter of giving a challenge and see things evolve from that. Sort of like the all the car races. Many inventions has riced from them making our everyday cars better. That could happen in eskate as well I believe.

4 Likes

Its in our long term goals, so count us in :+1:

2 Likes

HAHAHA

1 Like

We need solutions now and community developed would be great

2 Likes

I think I should add one more obstacle in general bulletproof Electronics to control the motors, batteries and whatever else needs to be controlled. The existing units are not fault proof and often are not available for long periods of time and are expensive. I am not an EE but I am confident the collective talent pool we have to work with here can fix this!

1 Like

Talk $$$ my man… I’d be happy to help. Perhaps you can organize the development of stuff by involving the community with those developing and doing a bit of research to find out how much people are willing to spend for the solutions you think are important.

There is a reason engineers do the design work and business types do the selling. I think polls are the best option which shows you how much I know about outreach.

Which is jack shit.

Maybe you can help?

2 Likes

Official Vesc 6’s from Trampa are on the shelf right now for same day dispatch and will handle anything racing throws at them.

Bulletproof BMS’s from ebike and other platforms are widely available at a price.

We already have solid mechanical switching solutions that are easy to implement.

We have established best practice procedures for wiring layouts and component fixing that have proven highly effective.

Battery building here has been perfected to the point of cell level fusing, correct insulation, flexibility and just needs to be implemented by the builders correctly to ensure safety.

There are countless padding and protective gear options that will almost eliminate superficial racing injuries.

This stuff is done, available and ready to go. The issue isn’t availability but the resistance of a DIY culture to spend what is required to ensure their safety and the performance of the boards.

13 Likes

Yeah I think part of it comes from the hobbyist mindset. For a lot of us, it’s not like we make money from this, it’s just on the side for fun. For some the money level is quite high that they are willing to spend, but for me and the rest, we just don’t want to pay the huge entry cost for the bulletproof ESC’s and what not.

As for batteries, the best thing we could do for these racing events is what was suggested before - swap-able batteries. If we had that, then range and performance due to sag and voltage is not as much of an issue.

5 Likes

Show me a rack mounted quick change docking battery system please!

4 Likes

@MoeStooge, @Psychotiller, @longhairedboy, @jamie, @DerelictRobot, @longhairedboy, @hummieee, @Arch, @JaysTCB where are you guys?

6 Likes

minutes of modelling…

12 Likes

The Hoyt system is exactly what you’re describing, but unfortunately, it is not provided for resale

Otherwise, I agree with all points made. Esk8 racing won’t be for everyone, but all the points mentions are certainly restrictive. But I feel as though there is an additional point to consider: legality.
In my eyes, I can’t believe that we’d support a subdivision of esk8 when esk8 as a whole is still largely prohibited. This is preventive for many, as it restricts creativity. Instead of building s balls-to-the-wall builfd, exploring new technologies,any feel the need to color within the lines and try to maintain minimalism in an effort to reduce issues with the law.
If underground esk8 races were to become a thing, there is absolutely no doubt that PEV’S would be affected as a whole.

Nonetheless, this is a wonderful guideline for those in the community seeking a challenge that would benefit us all, regardless of racing relevance

3 Likes

i like the idea of racing on the right course which is so winding that youre limited in speed to maybe 25mph max and not a mass start race but a time trial. less dangerous for sure. there was that video of the mass start race down south somewhere (anyone have it can post it please!) where it was moe o the left and maybe 20 people and the video was only 10 seconds. ridiculous. i must have watched it 50 times and it looked like there could’ve been a disaster at any moment…and then it ends with someone in a mad wobble off the front looking like he could’ve taken out the whole field.

3 Likes

Maybe if there was a certification process through the organizers of the events for DIY boards. Something like an inspection and certain requirements for boards to adhere to. Obviously these restrictions could be made by us, reasonable ones but ones that are made to keep the racers safe.

1 Like

I would not consider race boards street legal even though we will ride them on the street, so we are talking a different level here.

3 Likes

The biggest block to organized Esk8 racing is the complexity in establishing a baseline and then standardizing a frame and drivetrain, right now the easiest way to sort events is between DIY and production, but I would argue the real excitement is centered around the DIY events, Evolve seems to be the most active in supporting organized events, but to be blunt watching an all evolve event is boaring AF. To put a bow on this what the sport needs is money and people willing to put in the effort to establish a regulatory body.

6 Likes

@Dred If we do not lead the way, we will be relegated to following. Personally, I am not a good follower

1 Like

Yeah you’re right. Considering the growth of Esk8.fr maybe they will be able to bring more awareness to the fact that people are actually interested in doing competitive events.

We need to be the ones to lead the regulation, whether that be through Esk8.fr and some kind of organization on the U.S. side, we as a builders community need to figure out how we can have a positive influence on the regulatory bodies

Ignore my shit hand writing

A swappable 12s5p 40t battery.

Imagine like a 24 hours of lemans style race but with eboards. So if you had like 4 of these batterys you should always have one charged

4 Likes

One of the biggest hurdles for me right now is accessibility.
I used to be a regular at the amateur drift circuit.
There’s multiple tracks that do drift days at least once a month where you can go practice for like $10 all day…

For your mid-range builders getting involved in the race circuit is a bit daunting.
Not to mention I haven’t seen very good coverage of a single race event yet. a few pictures and short clips of video at best.

No commentary, no introduction of the riders.

7 Likes