ESK8 Racing needs our help to grow

This rule still allows me in so why not :ok_hand:t4: but do you mean weighting the gear or the whole rider?

1 Like

Brad you make some extremely valid points in the first post, you can probably just end the thread there and apply it all to get great results from an organisational/safety/mechanical perspective.

I would argue however that you missed the most important of all the ways to grow esk8 racing. That is by making racing accessible to non contenders:

• Professional and inclusive media at events.
  • Leagues, tables and divisions
  • A clear understanding of what it is and who it’s for so that spectators can get on board.

Doing these things will lead to increased spectatorship, emotional and monetary investment by the community at large, larger sponsorships and donations from both esk8 and affiliated brands via exposure and take racing from being a niche to something people look forward to.

Take me as an example, my desire to race skateboards is next to nothing but I could 100% see myself getting invested in racing none the less, in fact I want to really badly. If there was a youtube channel that showed race highlights after every event, a clear scorecard worldwide and friendly banter here between riders and teams I would get lost in it really quickly.

It’s a chicken and egg situation though because until racing becomes something more you likely won’t get any professional media coverage and without the coverage I don’t see it really going anywhere. So it’s going to take a dedicated few who have the equipment and passion to give us the content required… the good news is, this is the kind of place that breeds people like that.

I think every event organizer should reach out to our resident social media clan before every event as a matter of importance and do their best to get as many out to witness and record events. After that it’s all downhill (uphill if you like, motors and all that).

13 Likes

Where I come from the scene is simply not big and old enough for racing to really happen. People are very hesitant to sign up and participate when the word racing hits the canvas. And when the event cost a little $$ almost no one signs up. I think this will change with time. Hopefully.

Also setting up an easy, reliable and cheap timing system is a challenge when we have more people on the track at a time. I think that timing is an essential part for making it fun. With a proper timingsystem people can compete against oneself making it fun to see if one can better ones own performance. Racing against others is fun. Racing against one self is just as much fun if not even more satisfying.

Edit: I am doing the uphill part og a downhill event later this month. I would love to have a timing system, but haven’t found one that’s usable and doesn’t cost an arm and a leg to buy let alone rent.
Measuring speed at the hill should be easier, and would be a fun little thing to have. But that’s also not the cheapest thing if I want a large display for riders to see their speed real time.

5 Likes

I’ve wanted to design something like this for a long time. How much do you think people would be willing to pay for a 12s2p or 12s4p (VTC6 or 30Q) swappable pack. Price is really going to make the difference here because it involves not only the swappable battery case but also a “dock” for the battery that can fit different boards. It won’t be easy to do right.

2 Likes

@Vanarian rider and board

1 Like

I don’t think it will be hard to make

2 Likes

Build it and they will come. We need to get our collective shit together and work out the bugs such as racing long, hard, and fast, no one wants to watch people charging their boards…

7 Likes

I suggest gathering the best minds here to work together and make this a reality.

3 Likes

Nothing is hard to make until it doesn’t work.

If it wasn’t hard, why didn’t boosted board do it? There is no inherent disadvantage besides possibly a little bit of weight. Nothing seems hard at face value until you dive in.

3 Likes

On that note. Kill two birds with one stone and create team events that promote riding in different terrain and settings.

Team turns up with 3 different boards, 3 different riders. The event is held in stages like slalom, off road and hill climb (or whatever) and combined averages win.

That way no one has to charge and a strong member’s performance can win the day despite issues that might occur with the other legs/divisions.

Camaraderie will also be high and it will heavily promote cross divisional communication in esk8 racing.

5 Likes

If we use lipos it’s just a matter of having enough batteries with us, as they an easy change. It’s a bit costly but doable. But you are right. The battery thing is an issue.
At the indoor carting track I races at they have electric carts. They run for approximately 20 min on a charge and they only take around 10 min. to charge up again. When the do longer races each team has two carts they shift between.

2 Likes

@Brenternet, this thread is not really about events but more on the missing components that will allow events to make more sense and attract more sponsorship and interest.

5 Likes

Understood. The title literally says help to grow though :grimacing:

2 Likes

Consider track races where you come in for a pit stop and switch out a pack or two and get back to racing!

2 Likes

Eliminating the obstacles listed will facilitate the growth.

Hoyt have made one. inboard and mellow have done something similar…

2 Likes

Design is never the challenge. I’m not saying the hard part is designing things to look and function like you want necessarily.

Designing to be sustainable, cheap for the consumer, long term and sleek all within a couple of months of idea conception and without dropping a lot of cash on development is the hard part. You’ve designed things for a small community, you should know that.

That being said, I don’t see why someone can’t run with this idea. If I have time I might. Or I might not. Someone make a thread.

3 Likes

I do know this, If I had the money it would be made by now or at least attempted. My projects only go as far as my wallet

5 Likes

Yep.

Although development can be cheap if done correctly. It takes the right mind, and someone with passion and a little out of the box thinking.

3 Likes

Yeah sorry if I sound frustrated I just wasted my time watching the shiitest movie

5 Likes