Battery Swap system (DIY or Aftermarket one)

Has anyone cracked the code on easily removable Batteries? @Genex

Some discussion happened here:

I’ve seen a few versions, like what @Duffman did on his board

Seems like what Koowheel did is most promising:

So basically a sturdy enough holder is needed and battery itself needs to have an enclosure. Though im not sure what connector Koowheel uses but it needs to be fixed in place.

So far, on my own I have found these 2 options:

This look ok, the overall look could have been better, but price isnt that bad:

2nd one:

But it is somewhat costly one and you still need a dock like this one:

Takes up a lot of space for just 10s2P pack, so you would need 2x such docks probably.

Though If we got the chance to get that type of connector, it might be good, or we could use just XT60 with panel for screws.

On a side note, with Lipo batteries it is a lot easier to do the swap thing, especially if you got Top mount box, like many mountainboards do, then all you need is open the box, disconnect, take out, put the full batteries and connect back…

So this is mostly aimed for 18650 packs. Either for Mountainboard or street build.

4 Likes

For that last one I’d be weary of vertical vibrations dropping the battery out directly downwards…

1 Like

I agree, those plastic clips doesnt look very promising…

I shared it mostly for fact the connector looks promising, bullets seem to click in more easily, than lets say XT60 (even if xt60 has bullets as well, the larger bullets have these gap holes in them)

1 Like

I am working on one. i am buying a loaded x unlimited kit and pull it apart and see how it works, what connectors are used etc…

2 Likes

I made a 2 part enclosure and just use swappable lipos.

I only need to take out two small bolts to remove and swap my batteries. It takes less than 2 minutes.

2 Likes

Also, I used threaded inserts so you just need to carry a hex key

1 Like

look up how “revel direct drive kit” does it.
Might be a bit expensive to buy the holder + battery packs from them directly, but its pretty solid

Metasurf has one too, sized for 13s1p though

1 Like

The idea would be to get easily available slide rack (rail), then mount it on the board + battery and find a way to fix it in place.

I watched one video of Revel system, it also uses slide system but in video there wasnt a close up of how the latch works.

Anyways, good work, maybe if we collect all these designs in one place some ideas will born.

I know ebike batteries also have slide system, but they are just too high for esk8 use and it wouldnt be practical to buy 2x ebike battery cases, then chop of the top part and just use the rails…

Actually I just remembered a system one guy made up using Inboard battery. He just made rectangular profile out of aluminium and then attached a connector at the right place.

The battery stayed in place on its own, as it was a bit hard pull to get it out, but in this case anything could block it, for it not to come out easily.

So the hardest part in this case would be to make the ‘case’ / box and sealed battery case.

So in theory… with 3d printed enclosure for battery and metal tray to hold it would work. Would add some size due to extra layer for the battery ‘cage’ but I guess there is not much other options unless it is clickable battery, which has latches on the side.

1 Like

Bosch-CORE18V-12Ah-Battery-Rear-Side

Have yall considered these things :joy:
Inside them are 5s3p 21700 cells with their own BMS, battery indicator etc, with good thermal dissipation too.

2 of them in series would make a 10s 12ah battery, comes in different sizes too. These things can put out mad power since they’re made for large continuous run power tools.

With their gav charger, 12Ah pack full charge in 55 minutes, 80% in just 36 minutes. The 4Ah 1P version can do 50% charge in just 9 minutes.

1 Like

Have I? 10s2p packs. 6$ a pop.

5 Likes

I’ve thought about this, trying to figure out a system that would allow the use of the N.E.S.E system as a container - and simply being generally plug and play. But the problem is that anything robust enough for my personal use case would be rather large and bulky. Mountain Boards (used off road and not on road) generally take more abuse, and a locking mechanism would be rather large to ensure that a 10 pound (12s8p) battery doesn’t shake off.

Just getting 12 1s8p NESE modules takes up nearly the entire space of the underside of a DWII which is not a small deck.

So right away this is already a struggle for me in a non-swap-able design because i hardly have any space to put a shroud over these cells - because its a Mountain board and i don’t want 20 pounds of cells on the top(center) i need armor under the board to keep the cells safe from high-siding or sliding on rails.

In short, my efforts to find a ‘swap’ style design for batteries has been fruitless in the sense that there isn’t a ‘slide and lock’ system that i could come up with that was viable. These considerations regarding the use of power-tool batteries is something I have seen in theory but haven’t considered as an option yet.

how many of yours worked? cap tested any of the good cells?

They had all gone under voltage. :grimacing:, I 0.1A ‘activation’ charged one for science. 1.3ah LG cells, probably 9-1.1ah in the one I pulled out.

2 Likes

I meant keeping them in their case, and using their respective dock attached to the board, then you can keep a couple packs on the charger and just slide em onto whatever board. Like 2 of em top mount. Fastest battery swap ever. Slide em on and go, comes off with a button.

1 Like

Most of what you posted looks super promising. The most challenging thing is making them look good and work with lots of decks. I can make a pretty effective one with 3D printed parts but that isn’t going to look nearly as good as an injection molded case, which costs a lot and isn’t very universal since each deck is different. The best best is to sell a deck with a custom swappable battery tray and let people but all of the electronics on them, which is something i’ve thought about before. Again, though, unless we make a lot of them the injection molding is $$$.

If people don’t mind it not looking as nice as a boosted then more options open up, but people (including me) want everything nowadays :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Not much new or different as far as general board design goes but the glimpse at the battery docking system at the start of the YouTube promo looks fairly promising…
Drive Your Board - Strat

1 Like