ESK8 Racing needs our help to grow

The only hard part about swapping is you’re not able to use a much bigger battery besides something like a 12s4p otherwise it defeats the purpose of a portable swappable replacement.

If you’re racing too. I’d imagine you’d want a 6P-10P+ configuration over a single 12s4p setup for swappable.

At least, I haven’t found anyway around that.

Unless, you have smaller module swappables.

8 Likes

I feel like the problem with multiple smaller packs is increased risk of failure

Plug and play with a swappable enclosure, a low profile version of this: 41VpsoO5pzL

6 Likes

Yeah especially in the high amp draw situations, the packs will drop faster. Having a 6P or 10P reduces that voltage sag.

The thing is there would have to be a lot of board real estate and some kind of standardized snap-n-go system in order to make it work well. It would need to be robust and efficient.

As for @yelnats8j I would argue the opposite, given the mounting system is robust enough, it would create redundancy and spread out the load across more cells, reducing the chance of cell damage and failure.

6 Likes

Yeah good idea, something like swappable hard drive bays but filled with cells with some kind of connector that snaps in when engaged.

2 Likes

Finally this thread is heading the right direction!

2 Likes

Just go to aliexpress and type in electric skateboard. The asian market developed them years ago.

I wouldn’t use them, but you asked for examples.

1 Like

I’ve been working on a swappable battery setup but IMO 12s4p for swappable is the only practical option as anything bigger is too big for carrying multiple packs for swapping unless your not carrying them in a backpack.

But at the same time… if everyone literally has the same pack then there’s not going to be much difference as far as racing if everyone’s using the same setup. Then it’s just a driver’s race minus drive train differences.

So if you’re actually racing. I’d assume, it’s always going to be 100% Hardcore DIY and if you run out of battery juice… you just need to have 2 setups that are exact same that is 12S20P or whatever.

9 Likes

Something that will work for what we are looking to accomplish, extended race capabilities

Hinge, latch, swap?

Wowgo, revel, landwheel, hoyt, evolve, mellow… hell even diyeboard have removable batteries. Perhaps those housings could be repurposed and then we’re not trying to fund expensive moulding here. Just a little diy spirit to make them work.

Not sure any of that would be sufficient but worth considering.

1 Like

my briefcase

2 Likes

Stop posting that :joy:

2 Likes

The most basic thing required for growth of a sport is youth participation. Look at AYSO. They nailed it. You have to bring in the youth. Sponsor them. Equip them. Coach them. Race them.

They will have a blast and so would we watching them.

5 Likes

So far most events dont allow us to participate.

Racing events.

6 Likes

Koowheel had made a hot swappable battery. It slides in a tray and secures with 2 screws and a crossbar

1 Like

As @yelnats8j said, all the races/hill climb events I’ve seen have been age limited not allowing us (as the youth) to participate in the event.

1 Like

We still need appropriate gear for them to race and not have to wait to recharge their batteries

You all need to start having kids then!

1 Like

how much battery do you need for a race? id rather do a shorter race. going more than a couple miles at full tilt is exhausting.

2 Likes

A 10s6p 30Q will last you at around 45 min. of hard short track racing.

2 Likes