Esk8 Convention 2022

it would also be a good opportunity for people like me who dont have full gear yet or much experience with it to be able to try out different things and see what we actually like to wear before we invest in a suit of armor. and keep everyone safe. double win!

2 Likes

So lets convince Ruroc to come? :grin:

Their latest version of their helmet looks like it fixed the dangerous issues that it used to pose to esk8, I wouldn’t be against it

They had a version of the helmet that some people wore for esk8 that had a removable chinguard, and it broke off in some crashes, seriously messing up face of the one wearing it. Considered unsafe for sure.

3 Likes

i have heard SUCH divided opinions on them. i just dont want to look like a storm trooper, though. id miss my exit.

2 Likes

im def in though, ill be there. if its a shitshow, its still worth it to me to take a trip to vegas and skate around. hell, if my timeline keeps accelerating i might even have to buy a booth :wink: lol, jk, next year.

2 Likes

@russ is rep for PROPEL All-Terrain Off-Road Electric Skateboards

hmm wait is russ even US based holup

2 Likes

Im still dying off this comment. :rofl: :sweat_smile: I try not to be rude or shit talk.

2 Likes

i was just talking to him earlier today, hes in florida but a bit further south than me.
@Russ you tryna squad to vegas next year? road tripppppppp

2 Likes

:rofl::joy:

2 Likes

I thought russ was downunder?

1 Like

guess not. Propel HQ is in AUS i do know.

i thought they were based in florida, but maybe they just did some shit over here with him. they have a warehouse in california.

I would be in

2 Likes

Doubt it. They posted on australian esk8 page on facebook that they were looking for distrubutors down under

1 Like

the phone number on propels instagram starts with 86 186 which means china, and i BELIEVE 186 means its a mobile number, whilst the phone number on their website is also a china country code, but area code is for weihai city. however, the original cycleagle brand seems to have been based in kent county, michigan, usa. back then a guy named javen was ceo, it seems hes still involved, but not as much. also, he seems to be based in china as well, and was on here under the name @Javen-CYCLEAGLE for like 5 minutes. perhaps @Russ can clarify.
dont mind me. decidedly anti cop detective brain.

1 Like

Appreciate you taking the time to reply in length to folks.

Here’s my personal take:

• I have not personally been slighted by Mboards, but enough of my friends have in the past to be pretty cautious of participating in anything being organized by them.

• The lack of disclosure/transparency that this is an Mboards organized event does not look great. Not a single mention on the entire website? Feels intentionally obfuscated.

• Mikes age is irrelevant. He’s an adult who is conducting business and thus will be held accountable when he fails to meet customer expectation

• This community, in general, I feel is pretty fatigued from the endless stream of toothless brands that show up looking to make a quick buck. From my POV, Mboards fully falls under this category.

• And on that point, while it’s admirable you are here and running our proverbial social gauntlet, it’s also noted that Mike Beard is not.

18 Likes

Mike beard has not been present on this site since January I doubt he will be back anytime soon

1 Like

Are you all so desperate for an esk8 convention that you would support the lowliest of china resellers?

It’s not just that Mike Beard forgot to refund a guy once - it’s that he runs a bad business, taking advantage of novices with legitimately unsafe products and doesn’t give a fuck about the repercussions (still, today). There’s a reason we don’t recommend MBoards batteries. And there’s a reason he doesn’t show his face on this forum.

If the idea of a convention is so good, we have plenty of top notch vendors on this forum to rally around. If you want YouTube footage and product demos and group rides, let’s organize the damn thing.

Much higher probability of success, fun, and memories. And we don’t support a dumpster fire of a company.

10 Likes

I think too many of us here can say that we were essentially baited into buying things from mboards because they are the first result on google most of the time. before I found the forum I bought plenty of things there because I figured the first result on google would be reputable, however my experiences were fine except for the high prices.

this isnt an mboards bashing thread though, and perhaps we can take this concept and improve it. We have carve pdx but thats not really a convention, its more of a lets get as many people together in hill-land and ride. Many of us have clearly shown interest in a convention of sorts, and I feel like this could be done in a more open and inclusive way than just DIY. I’m not confident in my ability to come up with something, however an event like this should try and include as much of esk8 as possible such as prebuilt boards to ensure its success.

1 Like

I’ll give him a test run as an event coordinator. That’a actually a primary part of my job description, and I’ll let anyone who applies work at least ONE event. Also, I want to skate the Vegas strip at night. But make no mistake, this IS a test run, and if it goes badly I’m just gonna leave and go shoot machine guns in the desert because fuck yeah Nevada, and we can collectively judge this whole thing on Mike’s dime and do it on our own next time if it sucks.

4 Likes