ESCs based on the VESC

You can buy Vesc6 based escs for so cheap nowadays that it isn’t even cost effective to go with vesc4 anymore. Vesc 6 is more reliable and just plain better in every way.

2 Likes

Think of it like software. Buying a copy of Windows XP or an old version of an antivirus is heavily discouraged.

Same with VESC. Older versions may be available and/or cheaper, but newer version are more stable, more reliable and the design is more tested.

Same [doesn’t] applies to FW as well

fw6.0 has entered the room

4 Likes

Oh yeah I forgot that happened. I rescind my latter statement.

Seems like every new firmware version that Benjamin releases tries to find a new way to kill us lol.

1 Like

TBF with good hardware 5.2 and 5.3 both seem quite solid.

but 5.0 tho

i don’t remember much aboutnit but i’m sure it also had it’s issues that .2 and .3 had to resolve :laughing:

I don’t remember 5.0. I remember 5.1 and pre-5.1 but not 5.0

Was that ever actually released?

exactly :rofl:
i think it got immediately replaced by 5.1?

1 Like

“Duty cycle current limit start enters the room”

1 Like

Other than Trampa MkVI, is there an ESC with phase shunts and phase filters?

1 Like

How do people usually go about cutting the hole for their external heatsink? Just draw it out and Dremel? I want it to look good :pleading_face:

1 Like

Do it carefully

2 Likes

If you have access to a copier you could make a copy of the road side of the heat sink to use as a template

1 Like

If you don’t have access to a CNC or a laser cutter, you could use 4 straight edges and a router to cut it out.

Lots of adjustable builds on YouTube, though you could make something much simpler for a one time use.

Here it is in action:

3 Likes

I actually have a routing kit for my Dremel that I was going to use for routing wires through a deck a while back. It would probably be perfect for this.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

1 Like

Just a thought: routing or grinding is gonna make a lot of nasty airborne dust. Routing will likely dull your tool quite a lot as well.

I use a vibrating tool with a diamond blade on it for cutting fibreglass. Minimises airborne dust but is noisy and quite slow. It is my favourite way to cut glass tho.

4 Likes

As far as I know, just these

You can browse through the hwconf folder on the bldc repository and look for configs that have both.

You would need a controller that has both of these lines in the .h file:

#define HW_HAS_PHASE_SHUNTS
#define HW_HAS_PHASE_FILTERS

3 Likes

You’re confusing a software project with hardware products

true. it’s quite ambiguous though tbf

1 Like