Elofty direct drive "group buy" of 3 people only

That’s with 6" tires.
10S battery on 58KV motors with 110mm wheels will give you a loaded top speed of 40-43 Km/h or 24-26ish mi/h.

*edit
To be honest, I have the 72KV version on 11S battery with 100mm wheels. My board is capable of doing more than 30mi/h but I rarely exceed 26mi/h. I miss the torque though. Maybe 58KV with 110mm wheels is a good place to be.
@DavidF

3 Likes

Those are speeds with AT wheels.

With 97mm, you’ll get 21-23mph according to the calc.

With 12s it’s 25-28mph.

With 13s it’s 28-31mph.

3 Likes

That’s what I thought, thanks

Sorry, may be a stupid question, but how would a slower drive provide more torque?

Think of it like a car engine. Assume an engine can only output so many rpms. You can either gear it down so final output is a lower speed but you get a lot more torque or gear up so you have a higher final speed but less torque.

The gearing in this case is the windings of the motor which will affect the KV of the motor. Generally speaking, for the same size stator and winding configuration, lower KV usually means more torque

5 Likes

Nice explanation!

1 Like

Damn, the more I learn, the more I’m lost.
So for decent toque and Speed with a 10S I should go for the 85KV + 110mm wheels?
What would be 10S + 72KV + 97mm wheels? Sounds oretty similar, non?

The 110mm wheels from torqueboards are awesome though and they fit the default wheel adapter from the drives.
What kind of 97mm did you thought of?

Dunno yet I’m just not the big wheels kind of guy I think :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, that’s the tradeoff with gear drives and direct drives at the moment. That’s why my next project will be a belt drive with small wheels.

1 Like

What is decent speed by your standards? 30mph is pretty damn fast. I can tell you a spill at that speeds, you’ll skitter across the ground before rolling to a stop :sweat_smile:

If you are unsure about speed vs torque in relationship to wheel size, I would recommend going with a belt drive first. That ways, you can play with wheel size and speed/gearing by changing your pulley setup.

That said, I think people tend to lean towards torque instead of speed. With torque, you can give the illusion of speed with sudden acceleration. You can also climb hills pretty decently (a factor determined more of less by torque) at speed.
Once you have that figured out, you should have a good idea of what speed/wheel size you’ll want to then make a decision on DD drives.

What type of board do you ride? I feel with longboards around the 40" area, people tend to like to go with bigger AT wheels and small boards around the 30" go with thane wheels around 100mm

1 Like

Of course it is!
I’m not looking for high speed, 25mph max is perfect for my needs :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I wasn’t sure about this either at one point. I really liked my ABEC 97s, but the hype about the 110s from @b264 was too much to ignore. They turned out to be the ideal wheel for my eLofty drives. So, so good.

4 Likes

And what are the specs of your board? 56KV +10S ?

1 Like

Yes, original 58kv drives, 110 wheels and 10s3p.

3 Likes

What max speed?

22.5 mph. Over the limit for my locale, but also fine for me. And no problem propelling my fat ass up inclines.

3 Likes

Thanks BillGordon!

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

Due to there being more delays and unreliable supplier, I have decided to cancel this group buy with crownwheel.

However, I have been in contact with Nathan at @Esk8supply and we have set up a group buy with him over here: Esk8supply direct drive Group Buy of 3-6 people USA (elofty direct drives)

Feel free to continue the discussions there :slight_smile:

For all the members in this group buy, I can give you a refund for this group buy. Or if you still want the direct drives, you can join the new group buy and you will be bumped to the top of the signup list.

@dtaoo @mojoo

@mmaner can you close this thread please?

6 Likes