eLofty Direct Drive Discussions-read before buying

I noticed too, i wondered if the story about Kenna stealing the name is true, as big as a chance that elofty just bailed on kenna and shifted the blame to her.

Last I talked to kenna before the reveal, she was leaving the esk8 market for something else.

Looks like the latest revision plus a small screw to prevent the can unscrewing.

(boundmotors)

One sides axle is also not centered :man_facepalming:

4 Likes

Got those by mail this morning!
Same as yours I think.
It’s crazy to think that the factory could have avoided all this mess by riding their stuff for 10km
I suppose they like to get screwed (pun intended)
[Edit] Do you guys think they glued the damn screw?? :joy:

2 Likes

Gotta check everything’s.

1 Like

If we do a groupbuy for RKPs ver 2.1 count me in.
I want to have a street DKP DD and a AT RKP DD boards. Next build is vanilla motor belt maybe gear drive, 80100 APS motors and a massive battery (I am currently building parden the pun) but after that another DD.

The loose bolts didnt bother me, see my build log for the kraken on the other site. I ripped out the soft Stainless bolts and put in hardened steel alloy with blue thread locker. i have to get them off soon as i have a long group ride and need to swap on my new abec adapters for my evolve glow in the dark 97mm.

I think these bolts are also the source of the centering issue. I just swapped mine on the bad side on the current build with the one on the good side of the new drive and voilá, its centered, at least way better than before. Turns out that the thread of the nut was not centered :wink:

1 Like

If there is a group buy happening for RKP drives then I would be interested in a rear truck. Mine are the first version with the smooth can. @Winfly will these fit?

2 Likes

@Goldrabe
ABSOLUTELY FIT, It’s same base plate

2 Likes

Alright, question than. If the drives that I got from esk8supply fit the RKP hangars. Do you think running drop through with them on a hummie would be possible or would I have to bottom mount? I’m pretty sure the answer is no but as the TB drives don’t fit in that config.

Another question, are the rkp hangars the new stronger type or are they those crusty non heat treated ones.

My take on DKP trucks is below and I use Evolve as an example so if your DKP trucks accept different height bushings in the different positions than Evolve, keep the same shape, compound and duros, just choose the appropriate height bushings for the positions

Evolve DKP setup:

I have worked on several Evolve boards in the past when people have asked us for a nimble yet stable at high speed setup. This is what I found for Evolve “compound” trucks:

For simplicity, I will refer to the bushing positions from roadside to boardside so for the front, F1 is the bushing closest to the road in the front and F4 is the bushing closest to the deck in the front, rear will be the same just designated R1-R4. Also, the position 1-2 are the primary turning pair and position 3-4 are the secondary turning pair.

Front truck

F1: KranK 90a ShortStreetCone (.4" tall)

F2: KranK 90a Barrel (.6" tall)

F3: KranK 93a or 96a ShortStreetBarrel (.4" tall)

F4: KranK 93a or 96a Barrel (.6" tall)

Rear Truck

R1: KranK 93a or 96a ShortStreetCone (.4" tall)

R2: KranK 93a or 96a Barrel (.6" tall)

R3: KranK 93a or 96a ShortStreetBarrel (.4" tall)

R4: KranK 93a or 96a Barrel (.6" tall)

For reference we defaulted to the harder choice of the options above, I weigh just about 200 lbs and this worked well for me as well as my son that weighs 140 lbs. We found the key to settling down the trucks for high speed situations is to keep the pair of bushings closest to the deck (F3-4 and R3-4) stiffer than the bushings closer to the road (F1-2 and R1-2) and the front easier to turn than the rear. The primary pair should initiate the turn, then the secondary pair should come into play when needed or wanted. I hope this is not too confusing as there is a lot going on with these trucks. The way we have it setup currently, you can run full speed all day and still have a lot of turn when needed, so agility and stability.

15 Likes

Would I be able to order this exact setup somehow?
If I ordered on the website, I’d end up with some extra unused ones because everything comes in pairs.

Thanks!

Asked him about this too.
Unfortunately not yet (they are thinking about custom packs)
Group buy with me?

Spares are not a bad idea to have but we can do mixed pairs of the same price point. Be sure the heights match your brand of DKP

1 Like

I have the elofty direct drive.
I don’t have an evolve to compare dkp trucks.
Does anyone know if this bushing setup will work for these DD’s?

Yes they do!

Brad @RipTideSports walked me through it and I made a visual diagram reflecting the bushing setup recommended. The ride is super comfortable, carvy, and stable all at once! (Disregard the gullwing brand dkp in the diagram, I borrowed the image simply for tonal contrast)

Front

Rear

Pivot cups

9 Likes

Hey Brad. so it turns out the bottom of the rear elofty hangar will not fit your short street bushings. It’s an extremely tight fit. The provided cone is the only bushing I got to fit.

Thank you so much!

I just wonder why not replace these cones with ShortStreetBarrels?
(seems though, that they would need be 23mm)

If anyhow possible, i would like to get it stable for speeds 30-40 mph.

2 Likes

Im using the short street barrels on mine. They will not fit in the lowest bushing seat so I have to run the original cone there.