eLofty Direct Drive Discussions-read before buying

That’s all well and good for you. Now I’m scared to ride mine :joy:

1 Like

He tightened the big nut holding the motors 3 or more times. Each time stretching the shaft and then finally failed. If you find that the motor is getting loose on the shaft and you have to tighten the nut more than once, then stop and contact her for a new shaft.

I haven’t had to do it even once, so it might not be a universal problem.

to be fair. it was knocking around when there’s no load aka cruising on a flat. it keeps on making noise and I thought there was something wrong with the motor themself. once I tightened it, it was dead silent again.

2 Likes

oh yeah, I wasn’t saying that you were wrong to tighten it. I was saying if Ryan finds himself tightening it more than once, he should request a new shaft because the original one is obviously faulty.

And yours was definitely faulty too because hand tightening a nut shouldn’t cause failure in the shaft.

1 Like

I need to bug kenna to find out what steel they have changed to. also I have a friend @deltazeta that bought the original shiny drives disassembled. Time if figure out how it’s constructed.

2 Likes

Yeah help me disassemble these, still need to wye terminate them

Can you show us what your current state of disassembly looks like?

14 Likes

that thing looks awesome. so abnormal and tank like, I love it :slight_smile:.

I like it so much I just ordered the deck, I’m thinking heXL’s, maytech 200kv motors, 10s4p pack with FlipSky dual 4.20 or x2 mini FOC’s. Just gotta figure out an enclosure, and fast. I wanna take it on vacation, we leave Sunday :slight_smile:.

7 Likes

crazy good looking project !!
We want to hug this board :heart_eyes: hahaa
All is so clean, stealth and compact, it looks very sturdy :ok_hand: I want to go back to campus :smile:

Is that the 27" wheelbase length ? crazy ! Can’t wait the video now :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit : and that :

+10000000 :+1:

2 Likes

4 Likes

I like how the bottom is all black and top all orange. The rims have to be spray painted in clear orange coating.

I think carbon fiber will take away from the cuteness and warmth(yellow orange look)

1 Like

I tried this with ackmaniac`s firmware. At default it’s only 2500 sensorless erpm. The startup torque increased a little and the motor sound changed. I wasn’t sure if that is a good thing?
Changed it back for now since I didn’t got any cogging with the 100mm wheels. On stock firmware does the sound gets alternated too?

1 Like

Yeah the sound changes(slightly noisier) but my ESC and motor heat(I put thermocouples) both have gone down by 15 degrees. And of course I love the added torque.

All of this makes sense. Since the motor knows the magnets position more accurately, the stator can generate the magnetic field vector more accurately, thereby pushing the magnets more efficiently. So more of that energy does work instead of just being heat.

1 Like

Thanks for your findings, will give it a go again, motor temps down would be an awesome accomplishment!

2 Likes

You make a backpack ??? :heart_eyes: Tease me all you want!
I’m a real girl about that, it’s my daily handbag (got around 15 or 20 of them or more).
I design one yrs ago, still a mad prototype in my head, drawing, and 3D mod.
But one day, when I will have time ^^

3 Likes

12 Likes

same here :angry:

1 Like

how would akamaniacs firmware help with figuring rotor position and commutation timing? cant you get the same results and efficiency doing the testing on the bldc tool and running without it?

Green one is $35 free shipping. While I fail to understand this platform (short wheelbase with cutouts, where do you put your feet, pneumatics need power where do you put batteries), at this price I picked one up.

I’m thinking with @b264’s mini enclosure and maybe some lipos maybe I can get something done for cheap.

@topcloud thanks for the pics and link!

Oh sorry for the derail.

4 Likes