Electrifying surfskate

Hello everyone. I’m thinking on buying a surfskate, but I live in a place with steep hills. I was thinking in adding a pair of torquish motors to make easier the travel to the top of the hill and have some brake for doing downhill (the surfskate system it’s not the best for going fast)

Next year I will move due to work, so it can be also a nice setup for commuting.

Due to Europe limitations and for surfskate practice… Does the VESC firmware has some functionality for passive help like the mellow endless mode?

I heard about the firefly nano remote controller and a similar functionality, but I don’t know if it’s just a test or if it’s reliable.

In my mind I have this points:

• Possibility to have like a “constant” speed to have a constant speed (not very fast) to help surfskating in rough terrains.
  • I like the idea of hitting brake to erase the “constant speed” and be able to have a brake for the downhill part
  • Be able to go uphill easilly
  • I don’t want speed, just to be able to move uphill while carving

Maybe what I want is impossible, but I want a second opinion

2 Likes

They’re not torquey, but the Loaded x Unlimited hub motor kit has an “endless” mode that doesn’t require remote input. You carve to maintain the speed or something. Might be worth checking out until someone adds similar functionality to vescs

3 Likes

I tried a board with similar trucks I wouldn’t electrify something like this, I don’t feel safe on those trucks.

1 Like

with some kind of low speed and low amp good freeroll setup like BN gd or hub it could be a good idea I think.

People go over like 20mph with the waterborne adapter on top of DKP trucks… long/wide wheelbase might help with that

4 Likes

I have a little board like this…

stick with Hubs.
will have the best free roll feeling I believe.

3 Likes

I use loaded x unlimited on carver cx4 trucks and I love it. I’m on a vesc based platform though, I don’t know how the full loaded x unlimited set-up works.

2 Likes

yeah dude…
that has got to be nice…

if I had all the money I would get the new loaded Bolsa surfskate and the loaded motors…

2 Likes

Thank you very much for all the answers! I’ll do some research tomorrow and see what convinces me more.

When it comes to the loaded motors, rider-weight can make a difference. I weigh 175 lbs for reference.

1 Like

hmm nice looking yeah!

1 Like

Well, Im about the same weight, so what do you think about the kit?

It looks it’s the best option for the piece. It’s also interesting the torqueboards direct Drive system, but adding the rest of components it will be more expensive.

avoid. If you want to know why, you can read here: Heed the warnings, don't trust Torqueboards - #4 by rusins

I’m 160 pounds, and definitely think you need at least 2 hub motors to go up any real hills. Maybe more. All I know is that my single one ain’t enough :laughing:

2 Likes

I think it’s reasonable and easy for what you’ve said you are looking for.

I’m a DIY dip shit, so I have to mess with stuff. A tay’to kit from bkb without the some of the part would be a good option too.

I have mine running off of a vesc HD and a 12s2p p42a battery pack FTW :raised_hands:

1 Like