Electrickery - what do I need for a onewheel DIY build?

This is also a hub to look into. Not yet released, but I am excited for it.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s a 14kv hub. You’re gonna want something higher voltage. 16s is kinda the minimum unless you’re cruising under 10mph.

Funwheel discord server ^

3 Likes

Hi.

Nope, building one from scratch. Well, trying to at least… …12s should be high enough, I’ve thought to use locally sourced hud from a Finnish escoot/emoped (what ever you call them…)

Okay cool, so thats sorted for the motor controller side then, awesome.

Battery I can build my self, I’ve got some 100A BMS’s lying around allready.

I’m used building and modding cars and motorcycles so the rails aint that hard, I’ll make them my self.

You cannot count on this; you need to check. Sometimes Trampa brand VESCs have IMUs and sometimes they don’t.

Okay, so if it doesnt have a IMU, can I use a separate IMU-board with it?

I’ve been fiddling with drones and all of the flight controller boards have a gyro in them, so it seems a bit… …weird, that implementing one in hoverboard/onewheel VESC seems to be either hard and/or expencive…?

Most probably there’s once again something obvious that I’m just missing :smiley:

yes, but they can be pretty hit or miss.

with the current prices of things, yeah, expensive.

Oh wow, opened mine up and the U9 slot for a BMI160 IMU is unpopulated :frowning:

1 Like

well dammit… …if I’d happen to have one extra bmi-chip (say frome a drone flight controller), would it work if just soldered to the Trampa-vesc board?

…and yes, I do know the challenges soldering these kinda components…

MPU6050 works, connected to the UART port.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DK83ZYQ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

3 Likes

This is probably the best DIY Onewheel youtube channel, highly recommend checking it out

4 Likes

Thanks. Yeah, I’ve allready stumbled on his channel and made notes before finding out that the buyable little focers were just a batch and fungineer aint doing more…

ATM I’m at the brink of ordering a batch of cheap FOCers semi-prebuilt from jlcpcb, and then scavenging bmi’s and stm32’s from broken electronics and handing them to a friend who does phone repairs…

CheapFOCer2 only does 12S. I strongly recommend over 12S for a funwheel. Consider the LittleFOCer instead and 16S.

Noted. Where do I get one?

Yeah, the EU-side doesnt want to work tho.

Look for other single motor controllers that are 75V or more and run VESC software — preferably not custom binaries as that could be a giant hassle and can also be dangerous under certain circumstances.

Okay, but now we kinda get back to my original issue - being a noob considering one wheel parts I really dont know what to look for, or from where to look for (EU).

That said I would appreciate it a lot if you could dumb it down for me: “look for xx-VESC from yy-stores”…

…custom binaries does not tell me much ATM.

ESCs based on the VESC has a list of ESCs.It sounds like 75/300 or 100/250 based ones are probably what you want, but I know basically nothing about DIY onewheels.

2 Likes