Electrickery - what do I need for a onewheel DIY build?

Noob question, I know but it seems to be somewhat hard to find parts, even with a hefty price tag here in EU. Specially when you dont know what exactly are you looking for. All the ready made electrickery components are either not available to EU, or in most cases sold out.

I tryed to get them cheap FOCer made but the part bill is outrageous ATM, just one component (IMU) was 140$.

So to the question: if I get a VESC Flipsky mini FSESC6.7 can I use just “any” IMU board/chip with that? They seem to cost pennies compared to the parts used in them FOCers.
Do I need anything else (controlling the board wise that is) or is that “all-in-one” kinda deal?

Another Q: could you use a different IMU chip in the cheap FOCcer to get the cost down?

1 Like

I could sell you a used (and I think refurbished) Trampa vesc 6 mk4 which has a built-in IMU for 150€ + shipping :upside_down_face:
Edit: turns out the IMU is missing, nvm

If it works I might be interested. Soo, would I need something else electrick wise to get a onewheel to work (in theory that is)? Do I need a separate controller board as well?

The VESC mk V has a built in IMU, so you don’t need anything extra. So you need to source a motor, rails, and a battery (with a BMS inside).

The rails and the motor are the hardest to source

1 Like

You’d want something higher than 12s if you’re refurbishing an actual onewheel. For a onewheel hub. The minimum is 15s where your top speed would be ~18 iirc, but its sketchy at that speed. If you’re using a floatwheel hub, which is higher kv, 12s is the minimum where your top speed is around 16, but I’ve nosedived at 16 on my 12s floatwheel.

Relevant discord servers

Floatwheel: Floatwheel

Onewheel vesc conversions: Vescify, Onewheel vesc conversions

3 Likes

This is also a hub to look into. Not yet released, but I am excited for it.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s a 14kv hub. You’re gonna want something higher voltage. 16s is kinda the minimum unless you’re cruising under 10mph.

Funwheel discord server ^

3 Likes

Hi.

Nope, building one from scratch. Well, trying to at least… …12s should be high enough, I’ve thought to use locally sourced hud from a Finnish escoot/emoped (what ever you call them…)

Okay cool, so thats sorted for the motor controller side then, awesome.

Battery I can build my self, I’ve got some 100A BMS’s lying around allready.

I’m used building and modding cars and motorcycles so the rails aint that hard, I’ll make them my self.

You cannot count on this; you need to check. Sometimes Trampa brand VESCs have IMUs and sometimes they don’t.

Okay, so if it doesnt have a IMU, can I use a separate IMU-board with it?

I’ve been fiddling with drones and all of the flight controller boards have a gyro in them, so it seems a bit… …weird, that implementing one in hoverboard/onewheel VESC seems to be either hard and/or expencive…?

Most probably there’s once again something obvious that I’m just missing :smiley:

yes, but they can be pretty hit or miss.

with the current prices of things, yeah, expensive.

Oh wow, opened mine up and the U9 slot for a BMI160 IMU is unpopulated :frowning:

1 Like

well dammit… …if I’d happen to have one extra bmi-chip (say frome a drone flight controller), would it work if just soldered to the Trampa-vesc board?

…and yes, I do know the challenges soldering these kinda components…

MPU6050 works, connected to the UART port.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DK83ZYQ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

3 Likes

This is probably the best DIY Onewheel youtube channel, highly recommend checking it out

4 Likes

Thanks. Yeah, I’ve allready stumbled on his channel and made notes before finding out that the buyable little focers were just a batch and fungineer aint doing more…

ATM I’m at the brink of ordering a batch of cheap FOCers semi-prebuilt from jlcpcb, and then scavenging bmi’s and stm32’s from broken electronics and handing them to a friend who does phone repairs…

CheapFOCer2 only does 12S. I strongly recommend over 12S for a funwheel. Consider the LittleFOCer instead and 16S.

Noted. Where do I get one?