Electric Go Carts

Maybe that’s the official world record, but in 2015 these Danish guys made a kart go from 0-100 in 3,3 sec:

5 Likes

I could live with an electric car for dailly commuting, but if I would go on a track day the car must be has powered

Go karts are driven for fun and are very likely to stay gas powered for a really long time
Also a huge number of them is diy’d
Unless the stupid Eu regulations fuck everything over haha

3 Likes

Mount on a hayabusa engine and make it a hybrid :smiley:

1 Like

450A with good cooling should work. We do that on a motorbike, using the 75/300.
Field weakening will happen sooner than later.

6 Likes

Very much agreed. I keep thinking about how nice a gas esk8 would be for track racing.

Also it sucks when you can visibly see a less charged electric cart on a track going slower than its slightly more charged twin brother.

2 Likes

My man! I’m throwing a couple 75/300s into a utility vehicle and from what I’ve heard they don’t like the large motors without field weakening. Glad to hear it.

Field weakening is only making the motor spin faster at the downside of efficiency loss.

4 Likes

@Trampa field weakening works by putting the commutations out of phase with the rotor, correct? the back emf voltage is lower when the commutations are out of phase from the most efficient commutation timing which increases the rotor velocity it takes for the bemf voltage to cancel the battery voltage at no load speed — but it lowers the torque for a given motor current, decreasing efficiency and increasing heating for a given acceleration, is my understanding.

second question… the 75/300 can do 400+ motor amps?

2 Likes

Field weakening and 100v support , then things start to get interesting for other things than esk8 and e-bikes :grinning:

But a search om Google, shows a vesc from trampa on 20s :wink:

probably for legal reasons or they accidentally left off a 0

Rated power is a continuous rating not the peak which will be a lot higher. @eBoosted

1 Like

& output ratings are mechanical watts not electrical

torque newton meter * angular velocity radians per second = watts mechanical

you can get the same mechanical power with high angular velocity and low torque (high volts and low amps) or low angular velocity and high torque (low volts and high amps). the first option is more efficient within certain limits.

1 Like

Depending on cooling, up to 500A for a limited time. 450A for a quick 0 to 100km/h is defo possible.

@Silverline: yes, we designed 100V and 150V versions. We will also create a VESC that is nearly twice as capable as the 75/300.

1 Like

Not here in Belgium anymore. Because off the exhaust in indoor circuits is bad for the health for the workers. All those kart tracks with only indoor circuit need to go to electric. But the clue is that if the indoor circuit also have a outdoor they are allowed to use. So many tracks are just going to lay down 50m outdoor and the rest indoor.

I have tested both for many times and the torque from electric is just incredible like expected.

Many off those circuits use the double amount of karts. They charge group 1 while group 2 is riding. Due that they have always fully charged karts. Charging time is ±8-10min. I think they where using 3-4KW charging stations.

8 Likes

Ah you guys with the fancy indoor circuits…

4 Likes

Haha yeah! The fun thing is that if the weather is bad you still can ride. Good weather means more fun because you have a outdoor and indoor circuit to use :slight_smile:

1 Like

Never been to a modern track honestly, best for me was driving a diy go kart with a 20hp motorcycle engine strapped on it on a 400m circuit with tyres all around as the safety fence haha and it was crazy!

2 Likes

Haha lol! You are still alive :wink:

2 Likes

Eta. ? If you come Up with a 100v before summer (with field weakening support), to a more “friendly” price than 75/300, I buy it No doubt. I run 180 batt Amp and 470 phase amps, so It should could handle that at least.

4 Likes

Wow, this just popped up on Craigslist. If only I had stupid amounts of expendable income. This would be so cool to electrify.

Grand Prix Squalo Child Racer go kart Collectable

This Squalo Child Racer was built by Grand Prix of El Monte, California and is designed to resemble the Ferrari 553 formula race cars of the mid-1950s. It was reportedly sold new at a sporting goods store in Pennsylvania in 1956 at a cost of $575. A …

7 Likes