@egtscs' shit show of a shop

I’m back bitches

I found a box

Seemed nicely packaged

I like this box and the contents thereof

However you see I am a moron and decided to put off getting a battery when Kamen mentioned it because surely I’d remember another time and to be fair, I was right and I am remembering.

This is on the way

Until next time.

4 Likes

I got the same color combo and mine was actually supposed to be delivered today but wasn’t home to sign for it. Looking forward to trying that sucker out.

2 Likes

It looks even better in person, did you get the lighting version?

3 Likes

Yep, figure I might as well go all out

2 Likes

I love the lights so much more than I could have ever expected

3 Likes

Well I’m getting weird fuckiness and stuttering that I’m just going to attribute to my shitty sensor adapters and fix those first, if that doesn’t work I’ll do more diagnosis but I’ve had my sensor extensions just stuffed in there for way too long and I need to fix it regardless of whether or not it’s causing the issue, fucks sake it looks like this:

Now into the exciting stuff, my tiny lipo I found from
Brian’s post arrived,

my multimeter pins were almost too big to even check the polarity but after about 10 minutes of fiddling it flashed at ~3.6v with correct polarity and that was enough for me.

^^^^^^^^^^^

I feel like I just got the same toy that all the cool kids are playing with because that’s exactly what happened :sunglasses:

6 Likes

I fucking hate sensor wiring

Halfway done and I still hate it

All the way done and I still hate it

Capture33
Aaaaaaand that’s not optimal what are the chances that the sensor on that side is fucked inside the motor rather than in my wiring? Nothing was noticeably wrong with the wiring before I redid the sensors and I’m pretty confident that the sensor pins all have a solid connection. It’s the same side that was acting up before I redid the sensors as well.

2 Likes

You try swapping on the VESC side to rule out those ports?

2 Likes

Capture34
Well that’s new. first time running detection it was successful, sensors properly detected on both sides second time I’m getting this.

I’ll probably just give that side another shot since it seems to be following that connector/motor but for now I’m going to give my neck a break from craning over sensor wires. If that doesn’t work then I’ll fuck around with sensorless modes until somebody smarter than me can chime in with diagnostic ideas.

3 Likes

Redid the problem side connector again, still no luck but I may have found the issue.

There’s a hole in the sheathing over the sensor wires and while I can’t see any visible damage to the wires themselves, I wouldn’t be surprised to find that’s the issue.

Figured it out, I’m just using Bluetooth for the 5v on my sensors is all.

Does anybody have recommendations on how to reconnect that connection? It tore off really close to the motor and I’m not sure I have enough room to solder them back together.

3 Likes

The saga continues

Good news; I ended up having enough wire to solder the 2 back together!
Bad news; vesc still can’t detect sensors. I might just clip that side and run entirely sensorless. I’m getting a little tired of fiddling with them

1 Like

Stick your multimeter probes in the back of that jst connector between ground and a sensor wire. Slowly roll the motor and you should see it toggling between zero and four volts. Each of the three should be toggling at a different time. That should figure out which wire is busted.

4 Likes

I also just went through this and I also hated it.

3 Likes

More good news! I’m an idiot!

When I redid it the second time I reversed the order of the pins, which would definitely cause fuckery. Hoping that’s my last issue.

1 Like

And more bad news, fixing that didn’t help.

If your on 6.0fw or greater, its worth checking out shfi. It’s not exactly silent on a 60d+, but it can be buttery smooth.

2 Likes

I’m scared of 6.0 :sweat_smile: I think I’m on 5.2 or 5.3
I will probably end up experimenting with sensorless modes before updating FW but if all else fails I’ll probably try that.

Am I doing something wrong? None of the sensor pins were coming back with any change from resting on the multimeter. It’s currently setup with multimeter negative to sensor ground and multimeter positive to the second hall pin on the sensors.
I have tried this with all 3 hall wires.
Edit: this is a separate motor with known good sensors and good continuity on my crimping job

3 Likes

Yeah it needs to be powered for you to detect any voltage. IIRC there’s ground, sensor 1,2,3, and 5V.
You need to check the voltage between ground and each of the sensor wires while the 5V is powered and the ground is grounded (basically when it’s hooked up and the esc is turned on unless you have a 5V power supply)

3 Likes

Ah fuck I had that thought but just assumed if the motor was spinning that it would generate power. Thank you very much