Economical 8" Tyres Discussion

Yeah, you’re limited on a standard esk8 hub, 2.5" for sure, 3" maybe. The standard 70mm wide 4" hub will fit all of the above, but you’ll need some long axles.

I found this 9" wheel on Ali for cheap but the hub looks too big :disappointed_relieved:

3 Likes

Yeah, those are some standard 70mm wide 4" hub I’m talking about.

Here are some monster truck tires/hubs. Just throw in some 80mm shoulder bolts and you’re good to go.

1 Like

I think they’re actually 5" hubs on the 9" ones I linked. Only reason I didn’t think the tire would fit the 4" standard hub size.

1 Like

I think they are both 4" hubs. They both list 2.80/2.50-4 tire sizes, indicating the 4" hub.
5" hubs is a whole other ball game.

You can start looking into go kart wheels at that diameter, but you’re building a go kart at that point…

1 Like

That photo has the hub diameter labeled at 123mm. That’s 4.8 in.

Still tempted to order one to see.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s the outside of the hub. Hub measurements are from the outside of the barrel where the tire sits, ie the inner diameter of the tire.

3 Likes

Yep I hear you but that would be one hell of a lip. My 8" tires have about a 100mm hub opening. The fivestar hubs outer lip diameter is only 110mm. They might work still. To clarify, I’m not wanting to use that hub, just the tires and tubes.

I see the tire rating you’re referring to now. I agree they most likely should fit now.

1 Like

Ah, makes sense. The Fivestar is definitely a special flower since it was developed to fit both 8" and 9" wheels. I think my assertion above stands here

MBS lists their 9" as a 2.5-4, so I’d be surprised if another 2.50-4 didn’t fit. 100mm tires = 4" hub, lip doesn’t really matter since these are split wheels, so you don’t have to get the tire over them or anything.

Next year I’ll build a mtb and put all these combos to the test.

3 Likes

I’ve been trying to find some cheap MBS 9" clones, but all I’ve found so far are these m/c tires that would be sick on a street build.

2 Likes

I must be dense or something, where does that link give you an OD of the tire?

You have to do a little math to find the outer diameter from this tire size format.

TLDR: 2.5 + 2.5 (sidewalls) + 4 (hub) = 9" tall.
2.8" wide.

13 Likes

You get a bookmark my friend. I sincerely thank you for sharing that.

2 Likes

So this supplier theoretically has 11" tires that fit 4" hubs based on this? Second option, they would just be super wide

2 Likes

Yeah, I think putting a 4.1" wide tire on something like a Fivestar is asking for trouble, but I’d love to see it. The 10" tall 3.00-4 might be more interesting though.

Some intriguing mythical sizes… 3.00/3.50-4, 3.50-4, 3.50/4.00-4…

1 Like

I probably should have gone with a more realistic example but it gets the wheels turning :smirk:

2 Likes

Is that you, dad?

2 Likes

Some more 4" hub wheels…
An 11x4 agg tire…

and a knobby as fuck 10x3 tire…
https://www.monsterscooterparts.com/300-4-10x3-knobby-tire-tube-combo.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAt_PuBRDcARIsAMNlBdp7Eupdh-6DzKKvQVfR8rqmO-AgDQaxIjmWCrxl_eFXY2mMYSqdUwQaAuTGEALw_wcB

1 Like

This finally made the nomenclature make sense, my reference so far was using the tire that had a measuring tape in the pictures showing the dimensions

So for most rims the rim diameter should be 4" and the width 2"? maybe we can get away with a bit wider, keeping in mind the clearance for mounts and belts

Maybe this would fit, but the nomenclature is a bit different, would be a 9.5" tire?

Or these with some modified wider hubs

1 Like

These look beautiful. I am tempted to order them too.

I think it would be so awesome if someone could put pics of all the tires and scale them by size and assign them a number and provide links for each number.

One more.

3 Likes