Earthwing Supermodel | SS 12S5P P42A | MakerX DV6 | 2WD 6384 belt drive | Onsra 115mm wheels | BN270

With the standard shipping? :smiley: I hope so :smiley:
Can’t wait for it to arrive :grin:

You would be lucky, every single esk8 orders of mine are caught :frowning:

1 Like

Oh, thats pretty bad luck! For now I only got one package that I had to pay tax for… And that was from the USA. Hopefully the rest of chinese packages will arrive fine.

2 Likes

Some updates:

• The makerx DV6 is here, setup was a pain in the butt, but it seems to work correctly now. Still have to setup a bluetooth module though to confirm everything is fine.
  • My battery perfectly fits the earthwing supermodel enclosure and deck that I got from @Halbj613, I still haven’t made a final decision, but it’s very very likely that the build will use that deck and enclosure instead, and the switchblade will be pushboard. The reason for this is mainly because I trust an enclosure from Bigben a lot more than the enclosure that I’ve made. Plus it will have less wheelbite, which is a huge plus.
  • I got a pair of 10 inch caliber 2s and a bag of venom HPF bushings.
  • I have an incoming order from dickyho for a single motor mount, pulleys, and belts. I will share more info about them once I will actually get to upgrading the drivetrain.
  • I am currently saving up for a 6374 or bigger motor, the build will be single drive until late summer most likely. Still not sure which motor, but must be new, available in EU/UK with maximum 100€ shipped. Not many options, I will most likely choose the Flipsky 6384 140kv from anubis or the other option would be the SK3 6374 in whatever kv, most likely 170ish or 190ish. I prefer the Flipsky though, mainly because of the keywayed shaft.
1 Like

So the drivetrain is gonna be the following, all parts are here:

• Flipsky 6384 140 Kv from anubis (I got the last one hahaha)
  • Dickyho mounts for caliber trucks
  • 44T kegel dickyho pulley
  • Onsra 115mm wheels
  • 20T motor pulley
  • Authentic caliber II 50 degree trucks
  • Venom HPF bushing, most likely gonna do 93A barrel boardside, 93A cone roadside for the rear, 93A barrel boardside, 90A cone roadside for the front. Might change to all 93A if I don’t feel like it’s stable enough. I am still unsure how fast I actually want to go with it xD
  • It is geared for about 53km/h top speed, so I can still hit 40+ on a nearly empty battery. Most likely won’t push it over 45 with a single belt though. Maybe uphill, but definitely not downhill or on flats.

Keep in mind its a single drive. I will upgrade the board with a second motor when I have the money - most likely in the summer.

The other parts:

• Deck will be the Earthwing Supermodel with a bigben enclosure
  • ESC will be the MakerX DV6
  • Pretty much only the the charger, the battery, and the remote will stay from the original parts xD
  • ESC box will be a lunchbox or a wooden box for now, still haven’t figured out how much effort I am going to put into it since I plan to change it out for a 3D printed enclosure. But first I have to find the time to learn 3D modelling :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
  • Loopkey is gonna stay, but I will probably integrate it into the enclosure, or figure something a little more elegant out than last time.

Will also reformat the first post to a what was planned and what the board turned out to be category.
Also I won’t rush the assembly as I want the board to be built as well as I can do it. I am quite busy at the moment, so no promises on when it’s finished.

3 Likes

What helmet are you going to use? Do you have that yet?

2 Likes

I have an Oneal Backflip RL2. I have already fallen in it with my wowgo, it’s a good helmet. It’s a DH mountain bike helmet, the FOV isn’t as good as something like the TSG pass, but other than that I have no complaints.

2 Likes

Time for some updates!

V2 final part breakdown, will update the main topic later on today (probably some time during today evening)

• Earthwing Supermodel drop 41 inch deck
  • 12S5P P42A with LLT smart BMS, takes up whole underside enclosure
  • Bigben enclosure for the battery
  • MakerX DV6 ESC (only one side is used until V3 of the board)
  • Flipsky VX1, black body with red buttons and magnetic charging cable
  • Single Flipsky Battlehardened 6384 motor 140KV from nexusboards
  • Caliber II 10 inch trucks with 100A Riptide pivot cups
  • Dickyho mount and dickyho wheel pulley
  • Belt driven, 44:20 ratio
  • Onsra 115mm rubber wheels
  • Flipsky BT module
  • XT60 charge port next to the loopkey
  • 12S “8A” yzpower charger from nexusboards, actual charge current is 6A and it gets pretty hot even though it has two fans
  • ESC box on the top is made from old furniture wood parts and epoxy, with roughly 90 minutes of work as I didn’t want to order something just yet (will be changed out for something a lot better in V3)
  • Bushings are all Venom HPF, 93A barrel rear boardside, 90A barrel rear roadside, 93A barrel front boardside, 87A barrel front roadside. All bushings have cupped washers. Had to tighten bushings quite a lot due to wobbles, more on that in the next paragraph.

Board is mostly in finished V2 state. V1 was still on the switchblade deck, and V3 will be the dual motor upgrade later on. Just need to close the ESC enclosure and need to find which screw came loose during test ride. Gone for the first proper test ride today. Not quite sure how i feel about it’s power yet - I would want more low end torque, but high end torque is plenty. Once it gets going, it just pulls and pulls hard, even uphill. Also had my first fall on this board in 300 meters due to a speedwobble while full throttleing uphill (learnt the lesson: never full throttle at high speeds until you are comfortable on the board). It turned out that the rear truck wasn’t anywhere as tight as required for speed. Also tightened the front, will probably loosen it a bit over time though as I gain some comfort. The turning felt a bit strange to me though. It felt like it’s delayed a bit. Not sure why, but probably the board weighing roughly 16kg doesn’t help at all… Before the fall my efficiency was 18Wh/km, after the fall it went down to 10 Wh/km, I was a bit scared :smiley: Motor temp reached 56C during a 5-6km ride, ESC reached roughly 45C.

Safety gear:

• Oneal Backflip RL2 helmet (full face required for this board)
  • Sunglasses to keep dust and bugs out of my eyes
  • Loaded Advanced Freeride slide gloves, moved one puck down a bit to have place to hold the remote
  • TSG SK8 DHP knee pads
  • cheapo elbow pads, might upgrade later because I hate to wear these… Of course I didn’t have them on when I fell either…

Plans for V3 of the board:

• I already have another wheel pulley and mounts
  • Will upgrade the ESC enclosure to something 3D printed with an integrated heatsink for the ESC
  • Dual 6384 140KV flispky battlehardened motors
  • BN270 hangers
  • Installing a DIY davega, which I’ve already made, but I can’t have bluetooth and the davega installed at the same time on single drive so this has to wait until V3. This is based on Roxie OS, so it’s FW5.1 compatible
5 Likes

Finally had the time and motivation to put the board together. Very happy with the power and handling characteristics so far. Not that happy with the battery :smiley: Either it somehow lost quite a bit of capacity when it has been sitting, or my consumption went way up, will be keeping an eye on it.

Anyways, I updated the original post:

4 Likes

Hopefully both the board and me will be able to compete well on the Onsra open race in Germany on the 2nd of June!

2 Likes

Another update! The dickyho mounts are crap for high power and rough roads

Both motors should be sitting about 7-8mm higher than the hanger, not exactly like this:

I also shouldn’t be doing curbs I guess. Was doing 5cm / 2 inch curbs max, but still… After only about 120km…

The Onsra race is tomorrow, the mounts need to survive a 5-8km or so ride to the race and then the race itself. On the way to the race I will be going super carefully. But I will have to ride hard during the race. At least the surface is very smooth - not ideal for grip but less chance that my mounts will fail. Hopefully it will hold up for just one more day…

The only thing I am sure of, is that as soon as the race is done, I am gonna disassemble the drivetrain and get either new mounts or BN gear drives. Still undecided on which route I should go though.

If I get gears I prefer straights and I need a 2.2 ratio (currently using 44:20 aka 2.2). 2.78 would only give me a 46km/h or so top speed which is kinda low, and I already have more than enough torque. I also kinda dislike how quiet this belt setup is.

If I get motor mounts, I wanna cheap out again, otherwise I would just get gears. Any cheapish good mounts inside the EU? That I can use with crossbars preferably. And they need to handle serious abuse. Running 100A motor 70A battery and I am doing hard accelerations all the time.

1 Like

At a second thought I am thinking about giving jbweld a try. Not to the truck, just the ring adapter to the mount when it’s fixed at the correct angle. What could go wrong, right? xD

Well hopefully it would be strong enough to use it for a while. An upgrade is on the radar, really want to give BN M1s a try but with shipping and imports it’s not as cheap as for US people. Also I am moving countries in 1.5 months so not 100% sure it would arrive in time with the cheaper shipping option

Regarding the Onsra Open race, I got the 14th best lap time out of about 25 riders. Leaderboard only shows top 15. Not too bad as this was my first race and I didn’t even had a lot of practise on the board before. As for how I have done inside the open category, featuring (I think) exclusively boards with rubber wheels… Well not amazing. lol

And this is also on a 44/30 split angle RKP setup. A higher front angle could have been nice to try for the race, for general riding though I’ve grown to like 42-44 degrees much much more than 50. At 50 degrees front I imagine I would have needed something like 80A bushings all around though, maybe even softer. That’s crazy soft.

In the end I ended up with a way softer bushing setup than in the start. For the front I was running 85A/85A tall barrel APS bushings, with a flat boardside washer and a flipped roadside cup washer. Would have tried 82.5A or even 80A roadside if I had such soft bushings on hand, crazy.

The Onsra 115 wheels were very good traction wise on the track. My rear ones have already been worn in - I had the full contact patch :smiley: Traction was probably not far off from 6 inch pneumies. Wear is very very fast though.

On this video I was the guy overtaking the camera guy. Using slide gloves did help with turning, however it quickly became tiring. And my technique is clearly not 100% good yet.

I also need better griptape. For the later rounds when my bushing setup was loosened up significantly, I was able to lean so far that I actually felt like I am not far off from slipping off the griptape. This is just some generic but kinda coarse griptape. Dope grip is the answer maybe?

Some of the very cool boards that I’ve seen:

5 Likes

Your riding style looks sick in the video! Also cool to see the other DIY boards :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, I appreciate it :slight_smile: Riding with gloves down is super fun!

Yeah the DIYs there were looking nice. Most if not all looked cleaner than mine and my friend’s board, I gotta remake my one look to nicer :sweat_smile:

Also the Jetsurf decks were looking great. If I will be able to buy only a deck from them, than that will be my commuter board for sure.

1 Like

Looks awesome. Congrats on your placing! You should have a crack at T Racing too!! I feel at the moment it’s the only way to compare how quick you are to others around the world. Also great race training!!!

Awesome to have so many competitors in that event!!

2 Likes

Thanks! Will give it a try for sure! I first need to fix the board though xD The motor mount is bent quite a bit and shifted quite a lot. I can fix the shifting if I don’t kill the motor mount screws in the meantime. For the next month I can only ride if I can straighten it back and even then not too much riding can be done before these fail :confused:

Still not 100% sure if I want to go with BN M1 straight cuts with a 2.2 ratio or get some new mounts for belts. Will order something in the next couple of days though

1 Like

I’ve just ordered a set of IDEA mounts. The longest caliber option. Hopefully it arrives this week :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Had some trouble finding the correct sized belts locally, but finally found some and assembled the board.
Thing is I couldn’t order from China as I am moving countries in less than a month, would have been a lot of downtime and I feared it wouldn’t even arrive in time.

The board is setup with the longest @IDEA mounts (113-120mm CTC) and 415mm belts.

Fun fact: I don’t even need to take the wheel off to swap belts! :grin:

4 Likes

This is one the coolest things I’ve ever seen for ease of maintenance

2 Likes