E-Freeboard Freebord Open source Electric Caster

I just had a dumb idea, you could design a powered caster with wires coming up into a special universal joint hidden in the board. Then you have a hall sensor on your caster’s rotation and also a motor on your battery/ESC assembly. So any movement by the caster is matched by the motor rotating the battery/ESC assembly to match so the wires stay straight. Would need two independent ones for each caster.

1 Like

I put the V2, SBX bearing block and the new school and old school baseplate hole patterns all on there. Because I can.

To make that part work in a SBX you would need to either cut the outside to some special shape I don’t have the dimensions for yet to fit the stock plastic housing, or print a housing with this square shape. You would be able to put it on a V1/2 and Freebord deck without mods tho.

1 Like

BEEP BEEP BEEP Curved wheels/hub motors alert!!!

BEEEP BEEEEEP

3 Likes

push fit caster mounting with o ring, no cutting of the bearing only friction there.
He agreed that a design with a ball locking pin would be ideal although far more complex.

haha does not allow a Cam but this would be a special kind of board, possible that you have electric and non electric casters you swap or different heights/wheels or something.

1 Like

I guess I could battle harden the JMK ride wheels. Make like a push fit pulley maybe metal/ lots of screws then epoxy everything. Hmm it would let less heat out but prevent any flex… not sure.

SBX wheels it is then… oh yeah I can cast my own too maybe get cheap enough to make it worth it.

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

@SpeedDemon credits for visual 5-X model.

2 Likes

making custom bases that fit 5-X hangers and also custom 5-X compatible hangers is what I am thinking about. Also some from scratch suspension hanger designs.

1 Like

lmfao it is today I realized Caster is not a Castor. idek, research and dev has been done in an unprofessional manner.

I previously was thinking about non electrical slip rings like hydraulic and such, as they would be more dirt and vibration resistant. A cool idea would be using water so you can make a crappy leaky diy slip ring and that is fine you just refill after a while. You could try to do the same with pneumatic to avoid a wet system, to be clear it would be going through a geared turbine not one way although that would be a good simple test of a hydraulic motor drive.

the pneumatic turbine drive would sound like riding a turbo Freeboard, sick.

Speaking of sending power one way I have a fun idea to make a gravity caster with a EDF slapped on it. Or possibly the EDF could be mounted above the caster and the thrust is ducted down and out the caster pointed right. Huh I guess then you need an airbag/caster in the middle too for the maximum idea.

https://www.dryftboard.com/
https://www.instagram.com/standupdrifting/

Questionable if a motor on that back caster would make it any more fun or what.

2 Likes

@hummieee how would you rate buying your wheels from Aend Industries?

Insanely slow and more. But if they have them already poured maybe not a problem.

2 Likes

Good day
Im new here, but I have been following this group for over a year now all the while trying to build a diy summerboard. May I ask why did you guys move away from a centre mount drive wheel, was there any specific down side? And by downside, I mean design, but also mainly in ride ability and performance.

Regards Jon

1 Like

Okay, so no reply, I did hope that someone could offer some advise, but it seems its not going to happen, any hoo, maybe I’ll try another forum or blog or something, maybe there is someone out there that is interested in what Im tryjng to do😚

3 Likes

I was considering it as one of the many choices. Compared to the normal two powered castors it is extra weight complexity and something to get caught up on when doing any tricks. The advantage is because your foot isn’t over it you can much more room to make the design robust.

I’ve been not working on this for no good reason. Sorry don’t know what to say, I think waiting for the Freebords I ordered so I could actually have a quality board to convert is the reason I’d give.

That build you got there is different from nearly everything so far! Great regards for putting that together and sharing here.

You and @alexincorsica both are doing very good in my books.

This is where I mostly stopped on the central caster design, over a year ago not testing that design out yet still.

Cheers mate, thank you for your reply, It has been a long time working now, I can check my drawings for exact dates, but ja…I was ready to give up☺, so I tried allot of different combos before this one, although to be honest the centre wheel was what I done first then also moved away from it as I thought it was wrong. My biggest problem still now is I have never owned a summer; Leiftech; or Freeboard, so if you are trying to make something you have never tried, it is very difficult to know if your design is bad or you are just a crap rider😊.
I have skateboarded my whole life…not that I’m any good at it but ja, I have 3 or 4 mountain boards that I mainly have used for kite landboarding, and the one you see in the pic, is a mbs scout that I originally bought for my only child…girl child when I was still in the phase of trying to turn her into a boy, that could do and enjoy the crap that I like…needless to say it did not work.
Any Hoo, I first put on the little narrow caster wheels that you buy at a hardware type store, just to get the feel for how a free board feels to ride…horrible, but I stuck with it…did I mention cost. …that and still is a big problem for me…everything I do has been done on the cheap…if you think you know scratch patch…you have not yet seen me in action, I really wanted to go the way you guys went with the sliprings, but could not get my hands on one…so the next best was a guy selling a used made in China one wheel drive hub wheel skateboard. Ripped it apart and the process of getting it to work without a slipping started…again nearly chucked it in, but I had no other option but go get it to work kindve😀
Then I tried them all, centre drive with thin caster wheels back and front, rear wheel drive with thin caster in front, front wheel drive with caster in the back, I remember even trying with the front wheel on the outrriger left side…horrible horrible failures all of them.
Then I started with the wheels that came with the China board wheels as casters…this made a huge difference to stability, but I could only slide the board if I put plenty effort in.
The problem was my caster swivel bearings were really small so I tried again.
What I have now is what you see, the bearings, I am now using has made the board very very loose…and easy to slide, actually for me it seems way to loose, but before I mod anything, I have learnt that again somtimes you have to learn how to ride a different setup, before you try to mod it again.
As mentioned I have skateboarded, mountain boarded, kite land boarded, surfed one weekend and had three days at a resort, snow boarding…I often will tell anybody I meet that the feeling of been able to slide a board around on the snow…even though I never got good at it…was by far the best fun I have ever had in my life…so it is with this yearning that I will continue to try and get back to that using this board, I will say that I am not there yet, but every now and again I do a side ways slide…and recover and continue in a line…and find my self screening in my head…THATS IT…THAT’S WHAT I WANT TO DO :joy:
I will state that I have no wish to make any money from doing what I am doing and will happily and freely share all that I have done, with anybody that is interested…although it is not much and by far not finished, it is available to all and everyone that has a passion to diy😆
Kind regards Jon

1 Like