E-Flexboardz mechanic

Yes, it comes from pinions that were not properly locked/lined up on motor shaft as I was impatient to test the board frame and the electric/electronical components together after so many months on the working bench (not to mention the lockdown which didn’t helped).

The internal gear transmission is only a “cheap/minimal” option that I wanted to test but it’s not specific to the E-Flex frame project so I will now order “state of the art” transmission (external gear)…

Well, I will do it once I’ve made my mind about hubs/tyres/bearing/wheel axle…for the various size of wheels that can fit the board, between 6" and 9", which is not really simple.

There has been a lot of talk about defective wheels on forums lately and it is really a serious safety issue considering the milage that an E-board have to handle compared old world (gravity or wind powered).

Even though the leaning wheel design reduces the (axial) loads on bearings/wheels, I’m really concerned about it.

2 Likes

While waiting to get new sexy hub/wheel, here are few pics to give and idea of the scale of the board with old 9" and 8" wheels

8 Likes

While waiting for new gears/hub, I took the opportunity to fuck around with transmission and experiment weird stuff:

5 Likes

It was supposed to be a teasing…but it didn’t work.

It’s a belt/rope transmission between aft (powered) wheel and (left) front wheel.

As the distance between front and aft wheels is constant on a Flex design, it’s quite easy to install a “belt” (no tensioner needed).

It’s definitely redneck engineering but it’s so cheap and light that it’s worth giving a try.

2 Likes

Great idea! I was going to ask if It was 3WD or something…

Would need a lot of power from the motors!

Well, I don’t know exactly as it is not the main transmission…
I only use the outside of the inner gear as pulley to transmit “power” to the front wheel.

1 Like

I don’t completely understand what you mean but the concept makes sense. I wonder if you could do mid mounted motors for no particular reason.

Wait no yes just one massive motor in the middle

Agree with you : one motor in the middle is the final objective…

1 Like

It’s now ready to roll (video proof is coming)…but it will need a bit more of fine tuning to really ride smoothly.

7 Likes

Not yet swiss watch quality but improving.

1 Like

Technically, it is now an electric board, even though noisy and kinky…

But it’s improving.

4 Likes

Does it still use string for transmission? The sound doesnt seem super cycling,… sounds like something is rubbing there occasionally

No, the string transmission was just an uncontroled moment of redneck engineering…but I still plan to test a sort of braking device using similar string/pulley setup…

Yes, there were few things rubbing but I was quite impatient to make the first E-powered meters.

I’ve improved the gear position but I anticipate that my handmade drillings are not accurate enough for gears life expectancy, specially such small one.

I plan to order new gears (existing and tested) as the transmission is not my main objective (or competence)

3 Likes

RTC smoothness and gears noise are improving :

7 Likes

first E-meters :

15 Likes

Sounding much better than that first video! Its cool to see the progress on this :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Yes, it’s improving step by step on the structure/steering/rtc…and the fun.

The transmission is moving the stuff enough to test, so far, but I won’t bet on its life expectancy.

3 Likes

gears are surviving now (the weird noise in not due to gears but aluminium bottom).

Step by step, it becomes closer to a board…

8 Likes

So is it just parts rattling in the enclosure that we are hearing? If so, those gear drives are sounding much better! What exactly have you been doing to improve the performance of the transmission?

one of the motor axle was not paralell enough to wheel axle (rememner it’shand made), so I improved it.

Also, I used a piece of paper to adjust the gear backlash (it was too tight before)…and insisted…

I will have to add foam/padding in the enclosure.

Also, I will now use nylstop nuts + locktite (which I don’t use on proto to avoid getting crazy)

2 Likes