E-Flexboardz mechanic

Awww, let us know if you come to Sunny California! I would love ride such a board!

1 Like

Thanks for your curiosity and your trust.
I’m on the other west coast but mailman can sail inbetween (and package should be quite light).

I dream about returning to SF (I lived there 2 years, long ago) and more generally CA/OR. With some brakes/motors, it must be like a giant ski resort.

That’s also here that I’ve been convinced that boardriding deserve a better industry and founded Flexboardz few years after…so if I get (finally) a bit of success with my boards, CA will be my first destination.

3 Likes

6 Likes

5 Likes

Ha! Look what I just found

Vintage Flexboardz skate board long board big wheels skateboard,

Price: $175

3 Likes

Thanks for the picture.

It’s a pleasure to see that the board are still ridden 10 years later…

3 Likes

I know that these electric stuffs do not belong to the mechanical chapter and I will open a separate post in the DIY built chapter before showing any naked copper.

However, as the transmission and the integration/sealing still relate to mechanic/structure, I will keep posting about it here.

Delivery truck finally showed up. After so many hours spent on forums, reading about theory, that’s a pleasure to look, touch, weight, feel…

For the time being, it’s still static and not really electric as the battery is traveling somewhere.

Unboxing :

To keep thing simple, I’ve ordered from a single supplier. My objective about electricity/electronic is “plug and play”

On the E-Flex, there is a minimum motor axle length, to go through the arm (>40mm), so I had not much choice, 6880 or 5570 (no 63xx)

I have a bit of work to install those tiny things comfortably in the Flex belly, while waiting for the battery to knock at my door.

2 Likes

Take a simple and good looking structure, add some electric/tronic stuff and it’s immediately a mess.

Here is the first attempt to install the electric components: the aluminum bottom is on the deck to show the wires and motors approximate positions.

As my new battery is still traveling, I’ve installed 2 old Flexscoot batteries to give a scale.

I didn’t ordered Esc case/heatsink and it was a mistake… I planed to install both Esc on the sloped part of the aluminium bottom, above potential water entry, but it’s quite tight…will see.

4 Likes

After succesfully connecting/installing/testing the electric package on a bench, I can now assemble the different packages, frame, elect, wheels,…

The deck is oversized (80cm x 30cm) for 8" wheels but it was easier to install the inner gear on these hubs.

Here is a pics with 9" wheel installed, together with the other wheels options (7" & 8")…but it will be better looking with the shorter deck

10 Likes

detail of the tentative inner gear transmission…

8 Likes

Fancy work you got going there.

Have you had time to work on this a lot more during the lockdowns? Or have you been riding the prototypes? I would love some more videos!

+1 here, looks amazing

I had a lot of time during lockdown…but it wasn’t very productive(closed shop didn’t help). Also, the structure of the board itself kept me busy on small details.

So, no, I’ve not yet made test ride. I’ve made basic functional test of the different parts but not all together.

I hope to be able to ride it soon though…

2 Likes

First carve of the E-Flex (the transmission needs to be improved for larger loads as well as RTC).

4 Likes

Here is a picture of the whole stuff packed together into a board, finally, and ready to move by it self…and with loads soon.
(I wish I had flashy red motors to make it more visual…):

7 Likes

What electronics are you running? Does it have bluetooth?

I’m using Maytech recent equipment, 5570 motors sensored, 50A esc and remote (no idea about bluetooth)

2 Likes

As he said, he’s running maytech 50A esc which is basically a vesc 4.12. Flashed with recent firmware he would be able to run a NRF module if wanted.

I’m not sure about vesc version…I will double check.

Anyway, the frame can accomodate any kind of electronic or electric component…

1 Like

Referring to video, does the sound comes from gears?

Otherwise sounds like motor is running high rpms and almost freewheeling while board is just slowly moving forward