Duality Trucks by Tito Systems

How does the kingpin apply any compression to the boardside bushing if the hanger is captured by the two pivot cups?

(Forgive the shitty drawing)

This is my understanding of the bushing stackup of these trucks. Red is kingpin. Purple is baseplate and hanger. Yellow is boardside bushing. Light blue is roadside bushing. Dark blue is kingpin nut.

The baseplate has no relative motion, because it’s fixed to the deck. The hanger has no relative motion because it’s constrained by the pivot cups. The kingpin has no relative motion (when pre-loaded) because it’s constrained by the baseplate on one side and the nut on the other side.

The only part with relative motion is the kingpin nut, which can only pre-load the roadside bushing. That pre-load tension wont be transferred to the boardside bushing because the hanger is constrained.

Am i missing something?

1 Like

The reason for this is the dual pivot cup design - it constrains the hanger to only move in the direction where it’s supposed to move, and this removes all slop from the system, rider input is converted to steering output much more predictably. This could be taken care of with a spherical bearing in the hanger in a conventional RKP, however those have the tendency to transfer road vibrations very well and you need to modify your bushings to fit them which is quite a hassle. (edit: and they are also notorious for breaking kingpins in half)

Couple this with the fact that the boardside bushing no longer has to support the weight of the rider like in a traditional RKP. Placing the rider weight on the boardside bushing removes a lot of the compression that you set by the kingpin nut tightness, and therefore RKPs in the center position are looser and tighten up exponentially the more you lean.

This dual pivot cup design makes sure that the bushings are only there to restrict turning, and therefore you the center is much more direct and predictable and the tension builds up linearly not exponentially.

All the stability gains from above can be traded for more turning with softer bushings, and that’s what really make these trucks magical. They are inherently so stable that no matter how loose and turny you make them they still remain stable

5 Likes

The trucks are a floating “kingpin” design, although technically I think it would be considered queenpin. The queenpin is custom and has a step that the washer sits on that allows the bushings to compress equally.

9 Likes

I’m definitely not discounting that! And I’m also not alleging that the bushing stackup has any issues. Just wondering about how it works, that’s all.

2 Likes

Gotcha, that makes sense!

8 Likes

Do you think that a custom bushing might be beneficial?

I feel like a square bushing might be more suited to your trucks as the hanger doesn’t pivot ‘around’, only up and down…

I’d be curious to hear @RipTideSports thoughts on it!

6 Likes

Check out the disassembly pics here

4 Likes

When I’ve been showing people the trucks, “pivot cup” feels like the wrong word… the mechanics is slightly different. Also possible I’m just being pedantic.

A pivot cup takes the normal (direction) load on the inside center of the cup
On Tito’s trucks the load is on the outside face that’s against the hanger, like a flanged brass bushing.

@Titoxd1000 do you have a better name that you use for them? “Pivot cylinder”, maybe?

1 Like

Do i understand correctly that its more like a slot? That allows the whole pivot to move up/down? Almost like suspension?

From what i can tell of the pictures, the pivots do not allow for any significant movement besides the intended rotation. The ability to preload both bushings is by having the kingpin float inside of the baseplate, instead of sitting on a flanged surface - basically, the kingpin is not actually retained in the baseplate, there isn’t a lip preventing it from falling out of the plate in either direction. this means it’s only retained by the bushings compressing against the hanger, and tightening it would effectively slide the kingpin up out from the baseplate towards the hanger. The baseplate just retains the kingpin from shifting out of position, not axially moving.

6 Likes

Open ended pivots are referred to as pivot tubes.

3 Likes

Don’t forget, there is a set screw that holds it static.

Curious if the truck feeling would change if someone removed it though

There is no movement only the dampening of the urethane pivots that take the edge off aka not as harsh as metal on metal

Speaking of suspension, the first prototype of the duality was on my suspension board. A cnc machined version of this with updated geometry is the ultimate goal.

3 Likes

That setscrew is supposed to be run loose and only tightened a little bit if you want to adjust the kingpin nut. At least that’s my understanding.

I run it loose, for me it doesn’t contact the kingpin at all during use.

2 Likes

Lol Oops I tightened mine down when I reassembled

We make a Cube bushing!

8 Likes

Reckon I know the answer anyway… but is there a square washer to suit?

Would love to see how much difference a cube bushing makes.

Would need a square bushing seat tho :expressionless:

Nothing a little dremeling can’t fix

Had a T-race session yesterday and got a little bit of footage

After this session I am actually feeling pretty confident that the 25/10 angles will work for the waldshut race too next weekend. That’s a DKP dominant track. These trucks turn that good.

10 Likes