Dreamonseed - 18s Abomination

There are thinner ones. But I’d use what you started with.
Heat will make it thinner, but kick faster.
I’d sand it all and then go w a full thin layer.

1 Like

Sorted. Its not perfect or even close but its mine and my first go with CF/FG and epoxy (not counting the paddle)

Around 4mm, it’s a little more than i was initially going for but id rather that than a snap. @glyphiks 's weight comments have been noted

Perfectly imperfect. Theres still some work to do around the side and on the top which shouldnt pose too many issues now. Overall, i quite liked learning all the bits i needed for this part of it, i was quite concerned that itd fail at that point and id have to get another deck and start again. Patience is something this hobby demands.

11 Likes

Looks pretty good dude :ok_hand:

2 Likes

It looks great but I can’t help but wonder about the strength gains of splitting the layups you’ve done over both the bottom AND the top of the board.

Another concern would be carbon as the final layer and it’s potential to rub/short any electrical goodness inside.

Pretty good looking job tho, the patience has paid off!

The GTR never shorted on me :laughing: one of the only things it didnt do… lol… i did give that a isolation layer too.

There will be a full layer of EVA or other material between the deck and the enclosure. There’ll be no possibility of shorting.

2 Likes

It feels like this is settling into place finally but has changed a little from the initial outline.

Demonseed 42’ with modified Eboosted Single Stack enclosure
18s4p Moli 21700 (Battery build pending)
138kv 6374 (Pending acquisition)
3DS Fatboy 240
Maker X D100s

There’s much still to do, mostly it’s the irritating little tiny little fine detail stuff that will be the first to break and look the shittiest the fastest.

Ive also had a go at redesigning the controller case to be a bit less angular and sit back a bit further. Same idea with a click together arrangement.

The plan was to use up as many parts as possible but I didnt count on the purchase of the 138kv motors and that has thrown the budget a little but only a little… I also oddly didn’t factor in a new Puck for the board and added that today as well. Not too bad considering.

(AUD)

3 Likes

and now for the Battery. With luck the motors are only a few weeks away and i can get the 3DS gear drives sorted. Also expecting the aluminium parts from the shop next week to be able to assemble the co.ntroller case. By degrees, its getting closer.

4 Likes

That nickel looks wiiiiide, what size is it?

About 80x35 i think for those packs, the double stacked oned are different

1 Like

Welded up the single stack P groups last night and started to give some more serious thought to the tricky areas around the hump.

the critical area I’m trying to avoid is the top left of the double stack P group, its the closest to the hump, it’s not an issue for the pack itself, there will be roughly 7-10mm gap minimum at the tightest part once the gasket is fitted… speaking of gasket…

Cannot fathom why there is no lip at the front to seat the gasket, Ima gunna have to fix that and bog it up to add a seat. I kinda did that on the other end already adding the cutout for the XT90’s which also needs a touch of fine tuning for the seat angle but is basically there.

5 Likes

Feeling motivated this week so pushed ahead with much soldering practice and feel confident enough in it to go ahead and get on with the battery which is just waiting on some … cough… better wire to arrive so will get back to that.

One of the things that’s been a bit of a thorn was the decks edge lighting that I wanted, once the CF and FG was complete on the base I could get into it with the hand tool and finish the groove in the side which had obviously filled up during epoxy because I rushed into it and didnt plug what I had already done… of course…

During this I wanted to sort out how the thing would be powered and I still haven’t decided on one of two ideas for it. I think I will end up running the buck converter in the enclosure and split it off to a jack in the enclosure, whichever it is, it still had to route the same way.

Testing some UV glue currently and is the main contender to seal the edge of the deck… you can see some scratches I did with the knife on it…

it’s sooo crystal clear it should be a crazy good diffuser for the led.

6 Likes

Oooh like the stuff that cures pretty much instantly under UV? That seems like a great option for that.

Its comingggggg

6 Likes

You dropping the trucks through or top mounting?

Top mounting, i dont think the 240 fatboi’s would work drop tbrough

Plenty of room in that cutout then for goodies :smiling_imp:

1 Like

I need the enclosure finished so back to the mods for that bit today… half the time for these things is the pain of indecision in picking a direction… at least for a noob like me anyway haha… note the obligatory bird shit from a brief jaunt outside to look at it in the light…

I could never work out why there was no lip here, I see other builds and folks just pass cables and such through but fore me… en usko niin… need solutions…

I’m listening Borat, I’m listening…

Astro seems ok with it so I’ll probably get a bit of sandpaper onto it and make it all naice like in a few days.

5 Likes

I am also firmly in the “fuck that flangeless bit” camp

1 Like

decided that fuck it, I really did want cup washers for the enclosure bolts inserted in the deck… and bigger… so drilled the deck bolt hole out to handle the sex bolt diameter. I’d previously had the deck drilled for the cup washers but as a push fit kinda setup, decided I hated that easy approach and I should make it more complex.

Bored the cup washer seat out even larger to accommodate the seating compound around the washer.

Completely unnecessary, overly messy and tedious will be a bastard to clean up… it’s perfect.

I have a “one Day, One Job” policy going on at the moment, finding it difficult to get ANY piece to completion so I’m bringing my focus back into single tasks.

After this bit is finished it will be onto the 3DS gear drives, I understand I have a set of Radium 6374 awaiting putting onto these so pretty happy about pushing that ahead too.

3 Likes

Rivnuts work well for this too, and are even lower profile.

1 Like

How large is the shoulder on rivnuts like those? Doesn’t look like they’d slip through easily, but just curious.