Dreamonseed - 18s Abomination

There isn’t really a shoulder. They are basically 7mm from bottom to top until you get to the lip. (On m5 rivnuts). I secured them with jb weld in the deck.

3 Likes

Things are tightening up with getting the plates in. I feel some assembly coming

4 Likes

Love my demonseed build

8 Likes

What enclosure is that?

1 Like

It was custom made by Alex at findoutcustoms

1 Like

I thought long and hard about a DS enclosure, ultimately i wanted to keep it slimline with a SS but have 18s… cake and eat it too kinda thing… its fucking expensive time cake to do so :laughing:

Is there a build thread for that board out of intetest?

2 Likes

It’s awesome. Would it be too low mounted drop through?

1 Like

Yep, it’ll have about 70 mm (max) top mount so no chance with the Radium 125mm (if thats final diameter??)

1 Like

Nice! I see you are widening mbs rockstar ii pro xls. How wide are you making them? I am interested how the metal spacers hold up! As far as I can see that design doesn’t use the “locking ring” feature on the hub.

I am actually also widening a set too, but I’m gonna use a 3d printed spacer from nylon (if I can sort out the issues on my printer with printing nylon).

The picture is the 10mm version of the file, but I am gonna use a 20mm version

1 Like

Can go 6mm all round or beef up the rear to 10 (+a spare wheel/hub)

Currently thinking 6 front, 10 rear, i have these to fit (different board to this build)

They gunna be chonky

2 Likes

On my build, yes. Its a 10s15p triple stack enclosure. The belly is almost at hanger level. One of the reasons u use the AT wheels and dkp trucks to give it a little boost in height

1 Like

this build is to get away from DKP… Ive been riding the boardnamics 270 hangers for some time and while it’s currently on the bench, Ive been flicking between my flux and my old dkp commuter and holy shit I find them twitchy now… still a lot of fun and I enjoy it for what it is but I dont trust them so I feel my days with DKP are numbered

3 Likes

Nice! Ya my build was specifically for low speed but very carvy and tight turns to get around corners in the urban areas of cities. This thing is super sketch at 30 mph.

1 Like

Getting close to installing the edge lights so thought id give it a white strip in the groove to hopefully add some reflective diffusion… dunno but shouldnt hurt and it feels better to have sealed the wound.

Sat with some sandpaper the other day and smoothed out the edges aroynd the hump. Roughly… another hour would have been great but im not trying for a production quality board… I’ll be happy if it just doesnt snap (instantly) haha…

12 Likes

I thought I’d better find some motivation and crack on with the LED under the UV Glue edge.

There is a few uglier sections but a nice even flow up and back gets pretty good results, Im going to over pour so it’s rounded and then possibly sand flat and level with the CF

I can say with some certainty that its shit to remove once set in and somehow, despite multiple checks, when I got to the end of the board ‘tacking’ the LED in place I was confronted by this.

sharp dremel pieces fix/hide everything… got most of one side complete and now Im happy with process I’ll get on with the other side in the sun tmoz

6 Likes

Can’t believe i didn’t see this thread till now. The deck work is amazing!

5 Likes

following on, Ive got a chance to finish one side tmoz and then I’ll be out of UV glue for a few weeks until I can gather reinforcements which is just enough time to do a few other things.

After laying it down yesterday I was a little horrified to notice that some peeled away from the edges a little, just where it got thin but was enough to make it look horrible… planed ahead for this I did… out with the sander, I was hoping to make a kind of diffuser and…

There are a couple of imperfect spots that will require a touch up but at this point I’m very happy with it generally, I feel that there isn’t enough ‘meat’ in it and might still de-laminate and make a mess of everything but here is how it stacks up

which basically equals this now which is where the idea started.

The plan is to get the LED’s embedded and sand it back until I have the 3 edges exposed and then lay a layer of fiberglass over the top and wrap down over the edge light to finish at eh base layer of carbon fiber / fiberglass so that the whole thing is then encased as a single unit, stiffen the board, complete waterproofing of the hump and generally hopefully make i strong enough to withstand the coming storm haha…
I still have no idea if this project will work or not but I’m having an immense amount of fun with it and learning all sorts of things that Ive never done before… ridiculous amount of fun, im not sure which part of the hobby I enjoy more, the tinker and learning or the payoff with riding

7 Likes

Are you a 3d printer? Wonder if you could 3d print the positive shape of the leds, wrap with sand paper, and have a sanding jig that could help finish it cleanly. Bulk with be a power tool I imagine.

Naa, no 3dp skills here, some old school moddling but not this kinda stuff… itll be sweet when its all sanded back and wrapped, wont even know its there if its not lit

no real wikki or anything on different glass weaves and uses? the enclosure building thread comes up for anything else… not really the right place so I’ll make the question specific.

there’s a final layer of glass to go over this as mentioned ^^^ and Ive been looking at this 8 Harness Satin FG Cloth (301gsm). I’m going to need something forgiving as I have no skill and this sounds like the right sort of thing. Is there something better to use that will still give decent strength but be easy to shape over the nose? I’ll do a little practicing on my experiment deck… poor thing looks a bit like Buster from Myth Busters now haha… and failing that giving me results I’m ok with, I could do it in 2 hits couldn’t I? lay a strip along the edge, trim and sand and then lay the deck, trim sand, finish off and apply frit… trying to make an attack plan with a contingency.