Do bigger motors deliver more torque at the same motor current?

make a calculator… :grinning:

Show me the formulas :joy:

I checked your calculator… what you have labeled as “max wheel torque” is actually the vehicle thrust in newtons (starting off from a stop sign).

simply lower the resistance from 70mOhm to 20mOhm and you should see that thrust increase by a certain amount.

if you convert newtons of thrust to pounds of thrust we can do a comparison of our findings.

Ha! I knew that was too good to be true.

Standing by…

so is this what you’re saying:

larger motor has lower resistance. therefore will allow more battery current to be delivered with the same battery pack. in turn giving greater max power.

and if so, with same vesc settings, wouldn’t the battery current limits nullify this effect? woiuldn’t the max motor current settings also nullify this effect?

2 Likes

No, same battery current through both motors… the bigger, lower resistance motor gets more motor current (same torque per motor amp for both), multiply the torque per motor amp times the higher motor current of the lower resistance motor and you get more thrust and torque.

At low speeds you’ll be limited by the motor current limit so you won’t feel the effect (both will have the same motor current but the lower resistance bigger motor will be drawing less battery current), but at mid-speeds (ie 15mph) you’ll be limited by the battery current limit and you will feel the effect (the bigger, lower resistance motor will have higher motor current for the same battery current, but both motors will be under the motor current limit setting).

1 Like

well i think I see the case you’re making now.

I question this portion though. if battery current doesn’t go up due to less resistance duty cycling into the motors. .then where does the extra power for for motor current come from?

and therefore battery current limits in the vesc would nullify the effect you’re proposing.

… I think that’s poorly phrased. but i’m having trouble seeing how battery current can be independent from the change in resistance in the motors.

With a higher resistance winding as with a smaller motor but the same kv… if u apply the same voltage across a phase there’s more current by ohms law but I’d think that would be the same regardless of battery or motor amps.

It comes from the missing heat that isn’t coming out of the bigger, more efficient motor.

i get that. but I’m thinking that’s the same for both motor and battery current though. they should both see the effect. ??

and then i propose the vesc battery current limits nullify the more power effect mid to top end. same as motor current limits in vesc nullifies the lower end of the effect.

1 Like

Why not download @mutantbass ’s calculator and see what the equations say when you lower the resistance and do nothing else (now that he’s grown silent).

1 Like

did the sheet get updated?

The equations are correct, they’re just mislabeled. edit: “Max torque wheel” is vehicle thrust newtons, and edit: “max motor amps” is motor current at the indicated battery wattage (assuming the motor isn’t turning ie stop sign acceleration).

1 Like

After reading this

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1877211-The-relationship-between-Kv-Resistance-RPM-and-torque-in-BLDC-motors-explained

And seeing formulas expressing the same thing in some random Indian guy’s youtube lecture BLDC equation and Speed Torque Characteristics

I now have a better understanding of the topic.

How I see it: We have a larger motor with lower internal resistance. This means that when we run it at a given voltage, less of that voltage will be lost on the windings (copper losses) than before, so we have more voltage available to oppose back emf, i.e., run the motor faster! But to me that just sounds like we increased the kv as well.

So perhaps, if we both increase the size of the motor, and reduce its kv a bit so that top speed is the same (internal resistance is the same, max motor current is the same) – well yes, we now have more torque, because we have a lower kv ofc.

But this kinda begs the question: how certain are you that a larger motor can have both the same kv, and a lower internal resistance? To me that seems a bit unintuitive – surely as we’d increase the motor size (in length), the winding length would increase, and resistance would go up, no?

I feel like I might be wrong, so where am I wrong here? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Thats a bigger difference that I anticipated.

Whats this supposed to mean?

why did you change the kv and the resistance - we’re only talking about changing the resistance.

Because the 6354 motor is 200kv and the 6374 is 190. Changing it to 190kv on the 6354 is brings it to 340 N so not a big difference.

Maybe your ego is tied into calculating motor torque but I can assure you mine is not :+1:

1 Like

hmm. I’m almost there…

the last equation is wrong. He corrected it later and you divide it by the radius.

It might be… but regardless if you lower only the resistance with your calc, you get more torque, and the reason you are surprised by the amount is you are calculating for accelerating from a stop sign, where the effect would be hidden by the motor current limit. The additional thrust afforded by lower resistance decreases with additional speed, so by the time you get to 15mph where you are limited by the battery current setting and can feel the effect, it is a bit diminished from the case of accelerating from standstill.

1 Like