Do bigger motors deliver more torque at the same motor current?

So why are we not flying around the world on large motor drones? Small ones are so easy to make lift yet large ones with large motors and props struggle

1 Like

Because with land vehicles at constant speed, the weight doesn’t affect the efficiency as it would on a flying vehicle that also needs to produce its own lift.

3 Likes

So larger motors been less efficient don’t matter?

Larger motors only matter if that’s you limiting factor no point in going overkill it adds other factors in that are detrimental. You need to have a balanced system

Just simply calculate the I^2R losses of 2 motors (same kv) at a given speed and torque… a larger one with lower resistance and a smaller one with higher resistance. You will see the mechanical output (and motor current) is the same, but the I^2R losses of the smaller motor are higher, resulting in lower efficiency… you need more current from the battery to supply the same performance plus the additional losses of the smaller motor.

1 Like

Yet the ideal current is higher in a larger motor and the current doubles but the pull dose not

That idle current is measured when the motor is close to top speed, which is why I said earlier electric car makers don’t want their motors to go much over 10000 rpm because now you’re talking abut iron loss which has to be determined experimentally.

Voltage and KV determin speed not amps. Amps can bu used at any speed

iron losses close to (rpm/v) x max v with no load determine the idle current…

the same motor current with the same kv gives the same torque at any speed regardless of size.

the smaller motor with the higher resistance has greater I^2R losses at any operating point.

the mechanical output (nm * rad/sec) is the same in both cases with the same motor current but I^2R loss is higher with the smaller motor and that energy has to come from somewhere, and it comes from the battery.

you could argue the bigger motor has more iron loss when it’s close to top speed, but what percentage of the time are you constantly going close to top speed? that factors into the equation of overall efficiency.

if you’re constant speed at low speed or accelerating at low speed when iron losses in both motors are insignificant, then the larger motor wins the efficiency contest, because of its lower I^2R loss.

You only argument about 1 part not what happened in the real world. You can’t say x loss counts but y dose not.

65A 12000g pull =185g pull per amp

90A 15500g pull = 172 pull per amp

Smaller motor is more efficient making motor power at the wheel unless it’s a limiting factor. Idle current is a direct representative of the losses in the motor. More losses need more ideal current to overcome.

i’m not familiar with “pull per amp” - there is a kt torque per amp constant, which is directly calculated from the kv of the motor only.

Idle current only represents iron loss (which is only a factor close to top speed - that’s the speed at which it’s measured).

If you also factor the I^2R loss you will
see this is the dominant loss until around 8000-10000 rpm depending on the details of the construction.

1 Like

Not the only loss going on Iv already said

Accelerating through ~15-25mph, I^2R is the dominant loss, iron loss comes into play above ~30mph.

The faster the motor turns above 10000rpm, the greater the significance iron loss will become, but below 5000-8000rpm roughly, the larger motor wins the efficiency pageant, because I^2R losses (of the smaller motor) vastly exceed iron losses (of either motor).

1 Like

Can someone ping me when this thread reaches its conclusion?

2 Likes

Ideally, for best efficiency, you’d have half iron abs half copper losses. With the gearing at like 3:1 on a board you don’t get close to that. It’s almost all copper losses. But even before you get to a balance of iron and copper losses the motor will likely fly apart and would need some insanely large gearing.

The no-load current draw is a pittance you can see spinning it up with the low kv and low voltage.

For skateboards if u got a huge motor the iron losses will increase and maybe you’d finally get a balance but it would need to be huge. Impractical. Or spin ur little motor crazy fast(but generally there isn’t the room for the gearing)

Look at the iron losses here at even 8k

3 Likes

The bottom line is…

…if you switch to a bigger, same kv motor and the resistance drops from 70mOhm to 20mOhm giving 10-12lbs additional thrust at 15mph w/ 30a bat / 80a mot limits per motor (2 motors, 12S, geared for 35-40mph)…

…or if you hold a 12lb weight in your hand…

…you’re going to feel it.

2 Likes

On top of what? 10lbs extra on on 20lbs is quite a bit but 10 lbs extra on 500lbs is nothing.

12 lbs on top of 72 lbs. (72 lbs → 84 lbs @ 15mph)

1 Like

How about for these two motors?

the 6374 is 24 mOhm and the 6354 is 46 mOhm

Turnigy SK8 6354-200KV Sensored Brushless Motor (14P) | HobbyKing

Turnigy SK8 6374-192KV Sensored Brushless Motor (14P) | HobbyKing

1 Like