DIY Wheels - Hollow Wheels - Very Comfy

Just received my wheels! They say HW1-Mixed-Insert, are these the v2 comforts? Given that they just came in, im going to assume they are, but there’s no indication on the box that they are.

2 Likes

Yeah I have the pros and there’s no big indication that they are the pros. I’m assuming they’re the comforts of you ordered them.

Do you remember around what time you ordered them? Trying to get an estimation on when mine are gonna get here.

@Evwan

Hello all,

Sorry, I am up to my eyeballs in shipping the V2 for all the orders. It’s a lot to handle. I will be heads down (and have been for the past week) on shipping.

HW1 is comfort. HW2 is PRO.

@Akbrock47 the difference is 1 degree!

5 Likes

Hey folks a few questions about the hollow wheels comfort:

• how is the range without the suspension inserts in? does it kill the range as they’re softer? comparing to boosted wheels 105mm for example, is it definitely needed?
  • how do they ride with no suspension inserts? does it mean less grip? i imagine it makes them comfier?
  • is the grip on them as good as other urethane wheels e.g. the boosteds? from what i understand the grip is better on them and the hollow wheels pro are even better than that.

Where I am the roads are very bumpy as hell. So hoping for wheels that are very comfy and don’t sacrifice grip or too much range. Cheers!

2 Likes

How you finding them?

Hey I noticed you did an in-depth hollow wheels pro review but you didn’t get round to doing one for the comforts I don’t think. How did the comforts hold up in comparison to the pros? Also wondering how they do without the suspension inserts, how the range is without those as well as the grip (in comparison to wheels like the boosted 105s/madwheels)

Thanks!

1 Like

Well - I have the V1 comfort wheels, which show the signs of delam - and I literally just haven’t had time to ride them yet. I bought them myself so “technically” I had no obligation to review them, unlike the ones he sent me for review (pros)

That being said I still am going to review them, it’s just been raining so much this January that I haven’t had time to get consistent miles on the other wheels I’m reviewing either.

These are all good questions that do need to be answered though

2 Likes

Still no weather to find out :smiley: I just started remote climatization of my car to get rid of the ice on the windshield ;D

1 Like

So I finally got a chance to try out these wheels. First thing I found is that they spin out and lock up with breaking. My previous wheels were TB 110s and i never lost traction when accelerating. I have the comfort wheels with no weights in the inserts. Anyone else experiencing this?

1 Like

break em in a bit. their contact patch is pretty small out the box

2 Likes

The inserts help, i tried a few but wnded up putting them all in and liked them much more, traction also felt better. They do need 50 or so km on them to wear in, a decent carpark session should also do the trick

3 Likes

Yep this will wear em down right quick, got them to almost flat after 2 track sessions

3 Likes

Are you enjoying them beyond this? Are they noticeably comfy compared to 90mms or your 110s? Also any idea on range yet? Thanks!

1 Like

How you finding them? Range, comfort compared to 90mms? And do the inserts make it much less comfy? Were they not great without the inserts in some way

@skate I found them a bit too squishy without the inserts, tho i might have to try them again without. range isnt an issue for me as the board i use them on is a short range commute deck so i havnt done comparisons to other wheels i regulary use. I’d expect them to have decent range tho, the free roll on thems great.

I think that where they shine the most (for me at least) is for carpark sessions on smooth surfaces, they get fairly hacked up on rougher roads (90kg rider) with the way i ride, i wouldnt put them into an all rounder category like something like the eovan 125mm solids or other rubbers and they arent at all like thane, i do like them, just for a specific use and for me thats where they shine.

2 Likes

I have a set of race you could possibly borrow for a bit. I have just run them with suspension inserts and no weights. They are fine, if you want great rubber race wheels hit up SRB. Prefer you are in the US and I do want them back before spring. :slight_smile: and with some rubber left.

That’s very sweet, sadly in the UK so won’t make much sense but thank you! Generally looking for wheels to upgrade from my 90mm urethanes. Wanting something much comfier as the roads around me are definitely not smooth. But also apprehensive about pneumatics because of the range decrease. Thinking of boosted 105s but got any other recommendations? They’re all so expensive to get over to the UK, bit of a pain!

Most everything more comfy than thane is going to reduce range…figure out the range you really need and add more battery if required. I haven’t tried the comfort just race, but my physique is American and 240 lbs. ORSA wheels are comfy…their rubber ones…I think they are in the EU somewhere,

just took mine for a spin on an exway flex. pretty comfy, presumably because of how light they are. I did eat shit because I hit a big ass patch of oil that spread for a couple hundred feet where the board immediately lost traction, but luckily I walked away with a sore knee.

i’ll try the suspension inserts next

3 Likes