DIY Wheels - Hollow Wheels - Very Comfy

The nut squeeze method has never failed me.

Unfortunately I tried drilling out the Kegel holes as previously mentioned. Pretty sure I’ve ruined these abec outer bits.

@TheGoodMomentum am I able to get some new outers? Preferably Kegel ones?

2 Likes

Pic pls

1 Like

LOL Does everyone have one of those? Can you post a link to where to buy one?

1 Like

^^idk why this is not on their site anymore

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjplJuz_I37AhV2CK0GHdtkAbEYABAOGgJwdg&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESa-D2KBhtyA8nRGZE3QvrEg2_gFFQM61-S2fueQXx9CvpkejJS0qeX3zBT9lIDruvc1tKBdfdPc3KK0ptHVMbe1Att2CW8FDofobamUaTjB0qFLrpwdmAuUGrB1o21C8g_J33CibdKfMw38ux&sig=AOD64_3MuMkGJmIOYCOxibxv8mGfZjcreg&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwjF9JOz_I37AhV0AjQIHW_fAaMQ9aACKAB6BAgHEBg&adurl=

oh I should say, the cheap vice from harbor freight and spare bearings are a fairly good substitute.

2 Likes

Between all the tooling expense and R&D expense, I only have so much budget. When I start breaking even on this project, I can make the tool changes, but not with V2 and all that right now. I couldn’t then and I can’t now. :frowning:

It was unclear how many people would have this problem and it was very hard to justify tooling cost, which is not cheap. We’re talking $5k a pop for a tool modification and I had other more pressing things going on at the time.

1 Like

Sorry, I did not document this clearly enough in the instructions.

Here is a video series: Hollow Wheel Installation and Performance Guide – Momentum-Boards

Yes, I will put that disclaimer in.

3 Likes

I do not have Kegel ones.

I do have extra covers and if you want, I can modify them for you.

I am very swamped with V2 development and some other modifications.

Here is a preliminary blog post. I’m still working on it so it isn’t fully released and I have to add some additional content because the factory has made some adjustments to the material that we think has cured the chemical adhesion. Blog Post: Blog #31: Still shipping, Improving Quality Process, V2 Hol – Momentum-Boards

7 Likes

Still waiting for mine to be delivered…

Kindly read this and then email me at Hello@momentum-boards.com

5 Likes

Sorry been heads down.

We believe we fixed the core bonding issues on the comfort Hollow Wheels. Ran 8 more tests.

Just now will be sending the wheels to the biggest riders and running the test rig on warp speed to finish testing. Then will also redo the molds to add better mechanical structure for added factor of safety.

I am officially broke but feeling relieved.

16 Likes

Got my wheels!

It’s been a long time since i last read up about it so i figured i’ll ask again to jog everyone’s memory also.

What does adding the weight inserts do? What am i gonna expect if i run with 0 inserts, 50% inserts, and 100% inserts?

Also, how do i remove the red adapter inside the wheel? Any preferred way to grab and yoink it out?

4 Likes

Increases or decreases rolling resistance and comfort.

The Hollow Wheel provides a fully adjustable suspension in the form of different inserts that can be inserted into the hollow wheel to adjust the stiffness, weight of the wheel which affects rolling resistance and grip.

Heavier the inserts will increase coasting while steadily decreasing comfort. The lighter insert will improve comfort, but reduce coasting distance. This depends heavily on the rider weight and riding preference. Having the insert inside the wheel will improve grip by increasing stiffness.

5 Likes

Sorry for short response. Videos inside on how to remove.

4 Likes

All good! Thanks for the reply, i have a small issue now. The rear of the Kegel wheel has trouble fitting a bearing, almost as if it’s smaller than 22mm. You might need to check.

That’s a know issue, the tolerance is too tight. You can press the bearing in though.

I’ll hook it up to a lathe and sand it a bit, i would like to remove the bearing if i can in the future haha

1 Like

if you have a lathe, you should know how to properly push in a bearing…

1 Like

You can still remove the bearing. It is a tight fit and I’m fixing that for V2. No need for a lathe!

Here is a video for installation: Proper way to installing bearing into Hollow Wheel - YouTube

Note, just got V1B, which is the same wheel with same mold but optimized chemical bonding and better control processes. I cannot get this thing to delaminate at all. I only have 8 wheels, so I am going to be pulverizing them on the test rig (or try to) and also I am sending it to a customer that weighs 270lbs and loves to carve. He said he is able to do 100 miles a week so let’s hope he can do it!

13 Likes

Hey Doug. Im currently trying to purchase the hollow wheel pre-sale, however, the Black Friday offer is not wanting to go through with checkout. Any idea why this is happening?

I’d remove that picture if I were you and PM him, don’t want to dox yourself

1 Like