DIY Wheels - Hollow Wheels - Very Comfy

It all depends on how long the boats take. It seems like the boat back up isn’t as bad and it is in the summer so the port shouldn’t be backed up. Pre-pandemic it was typically about 30 days. During the worst of the pandemic, I saw 10 weeks.

But I’ll have a better quote later in June.

Things going well with the factory. Some hiccups here and there but nothing that isn’t solvable.

Here are the new suspension inserts. There is one tolerance that needs to be tighter, so might need to remachine that one tolerance, but looking good so far. They will also be red too and not black, but just getting things dialed in.

15 Likes

Sort of a re-post, but here is the latest from the blog.

June 20th is when the production will be complete and it boards a shipping container to USA. It’s rapidly approaching and so are the wheels.

Factory is moving fast and we are producing thousands of wheels. Some hiccups here and there that cause some slow downs but nothing that isn’t solvable. dsds

All of the covers are a couple of days away from being all completed, then they head off to the logo printer.

Suspension insert mold was completed and we did a first article sample. It’s supposed to be red in color, but we just put in black to do the dimensional inspection. There is one dimension that is off and the factory and I are going back and forth on it, but I don’t think it will cause a delay for June 20th. The samples are being sent to me in CA so I’ll do inspection.

The factory is also starting to work on the thread part of the wheel and dialing in some dimensions as well, but it’s looking good so far.

Many of you have been asking for a picture of the Kegel wheel, so here it is below!

Box production is kicking off and so are all the instruction manuals. Those are easy.

This might be just a wheel to some of you, but this has been the most difficult manufacturing experience I have ever been part of. I designed and mass manufactured an 8.8L V8 and a 4.3L V6 engine for Power Solutions International in 4 years as their Chief Engineer and that felt like a cake walk compared to producing something during COVID. I founded a motion tracking fitness startup called Enflux and went thru the silicon valley tech startup journey then raised millions in venture capital for it and that was insane. But this. This was the most challenging project with twists and turns at every single turn. Usually, I would go live in China and produce the product, but obviously I couldn’t with COVID, which added so much more time in delays and inefficiency. Dealing with production issues, COVID shut downs, China to USA time difference, using my own capital, and so much more for the past two years has been the most stressful experience but the most fulfilling thing I have done.

If you’re still reading and haven’t caught up on the last update where I show the entire assembled wheel go here: Hollow Wheel Manufacturing Update #24: Back in production! – Momentum-Boards

Thanks so much for the support and patience.

Doug

30 Likes

Yeah… I was honestly wondering how old you were & how much industry experience you have, because as a one man project everything you’ve done with this is pretty insane.

Even if it doesn’t end up as a great financial ROI… I’d be pretty fuckin proud of getting this done.

7 Likes

Oh, it’s going to be a shit ROI. Just for fun.

17 Likes

Even more reason to be proud if it. :smiley:

1 Like

Can’t wait to get em

1 Like

tfw u do the math & hourly worse than minimum wage

I’ve made some really cool shit where that ended up being the case lol.

7 Likes

Question @TheGoodMomentum: is there any difference between the ‘-6’ and ‘pev’ on the website?

1 Like

Good question. No. I just set up PEV because there is a Youtuber that made a bunch of videos. We negotiated his compensation would be sales commission so as a quick and dirty way to track sales, I just created PEV and batch 6 so I can know the difference.

1 Like

Glad you make shit too! Send me a link and I’ll buy what you have got.

Whatever the financial outcome maybe, I’m just enjoying the journey.

4 Likes

Just placed an order for 3 sets via broker (could take a week or so) , I would be just happy to see more competitive tests like:

• braking distance from let’s say 30kmh/20mph to full stop
  • performance on wet asphalt / puddles / rain condition

I’m also worrying will this stuff work for a 40-50kg kid? I mean what’s the minimum weight taken into account to bring all this pothole safety?

P.S. An interesting option you have by default to order 2 abec + 2 kegel, but I guess wise guys swap their front/back wheels once in a while

1 Like

Braking distance depends on rider weight, road conditions, gearing ratio, board settings and then, finally, the traction of the wheel haha

How would you like to see this tested? Versus some other wheel? Are we breaking traction? What’s your goal to find out

1 Like

Stopping distance with really high current settings to test how well it grips in conditions where thane would generally lose traction.

1 Like

When did this price change become a thing?

grafik

1 Like

Yeah, I have to say I found that a bit odd. But cool to have the 2+2 option.

2 Likes

:thinking: :thinking:

3 Likes

The Marcel never forgets.

1 Like

I believe the phrase here is “you snooze, you lose”

Should have got that order in 2 years ago :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

With other things equal, so the same rider, same board on a straight line. I suspect this cone shape with small contact spot could affect braking distance drastically

But compared to what? Regular Urethane? Rubber?

Are we breaking traction? The only time I could see this affecting braking is due to skidding