DIY Wheels - Hollow Wheels - Very Comfy

idk about the specifics, but there are quite a few I think. Could be wrong though, I’m not that deep into the matter.

1 Like

There absolutely are.
But, cost is probably gonna skyrocket. And these guys mostly aren’t as large either, so it’s likely(under normal circumstances) a trade up of manufacturing time vs shipping time when you really break it down. Under normal circumstances, the price difference is why everyone would outsource such a job. But with the state of the world, and especially of China, the time it takes to bring this project from idea to ready to ship product is increased exponentially. If China continues to be slowed down for any significant amount of time, I’d guess that the manufacturing industry as a whole may become significantly less centered there.

6 Likes

Mmm yeah and as it is, it’s hard to get US companies to take small scale jobs, especially in a machine shop types of things

Also, this project started right before covid, such unfortunate timing haha

3 Likes

Just another symptom if you ask me, but very true. US manufacturers, and probably also those in other countries, got swamped when china closed down. Theyre still trying to catch up to the massive increase in work they had.

1 Like

Wherent TB110’s manufactured in labeda or something? Thats as local as it gets tbh.

6 Likes

Old school boas, too, iirc.

2 Likes

Heads up guys. The current lockdown in China is affecting about 350 million and about 40 cities. It could be worse than the previous supply chain issues. The next several months would be a serious mess affecting way more than just ESK8.

5 Likes

Holy fuck. Finally. Factory is now starting to get back open. Omg. Fucking COVID. This is so annoying.

I am awaiting timelines and will report back hopefully shortly.

15 Likes

USA manufacturing - I tried. Tooling is 2-3x more expensive. Labor here is way more expensive, for better or for worse. Consumers are price sensitive so what can you do? Only so much margin. Also, USA manufacturers aren’t as hungry. I’m just a small guy with small volume. USA manufacturers don’t give a shit about me. Also their lead times are way worse.

The whole tarrif thing that mainly just screws people like me in ass, it hasn’t thwarted companies from still manufacturing in China over USA for the aforementioned reasons. It takes out margin which in turn takes away the amount of money I can use for marketing or R&D. Consumers are price sensitive for good reason. I only produce in China simply because it is the only way.

There is a reason why not many produces in USA and it is because the government completely fucked it up for all of us. There isn’t enough focus in trade schools. Who do you know are machinists in this country? How about sewing? Tool and die makers don’t exist here either. This is why you have companies like Tesla which is insanely automated because labor rates and expenses are way cheaper. It is because they have to.

15 Likes

Preach!

3 Likes

Doug. You are the MOST patient person I have ever witnessed. Your diligence and drive are admirable and I will probably be seen as the worst type of vulture for saying this but I will be happy to swoop in to buy a set if it is still available after the endless wait finally comes to a close and the other patient people have been served. Keep the faith. Your hollow wheels still look amazing. Hope we all get to ride them sometime soon.

12 Likes

Thank you. I really appreciate it. This is something where I just wanted look back a decade+ from now remembering that I made something that I was really proud of.

11 Likes

Factory said that if all goes well with the rest of production that everything will be packaged and ready to board a ship to USA on June 20th.

18 Likes

Wow great news!

2 Likes

Just shooting some content.

28 Likes

What does the Kegel version look like? Just seem to see abec core ones…?

Or is this some voodoo that can do both??

1 Like

I need to get a Kegel version from the factory of the final polished version, but it looks exactly like the renderings on the site.

19 Likes

I already preordered. Been trying out the cloud 165r. Good wheels so far, just don’t like the bearings slipping out into the motor pulleys. Interested in trying out the hollows.

1 Like

When do you expect for units to be shipped out? I’m thinking about pre-ordering but I might not if it’s gonna be super long. @TheGoodMomentum

Given that the shipment it’s going to board around the end of June (ideally) i imagine we will be seeing first shipments by September.