DIY Wheels - Hollow Wheels - Very Comfy

Short answer: I have to check with the factory.

I’ll inquire with the factory on what they want to do them. They may probably want to charge me for those wheels and in which case they won’t want to just sell me one or two defective sets. They’ll probably want to have me purchase the entire lot, then I’ll be stuck with color mismatched wheels and sell them at a big discount and potentially end up holding the bag (financially speaking, which I am not prepared to do).

8 Likes

I think many people would buy those “defective” wheels if you sell them for a good price :wink:

4 Likes

But also some of those people would not buy the good ones once released if they have a chance to buy a blem version, so from a business point, that wouldn’t be a smartest thing to do.

6 Likes

If they only want to sell you the lot, then definitely make sure to sell your non-blem batch 1 first.

If they happen to sell you individual blem sets then i might be in, depending on price.

2 Likes

You can you sell the blems when you run out of stock

1 Like

I have to do some business analysis to see if that is a good thing to do. Still working with the supplier on those.

Either way, we got the logo printing testing done on the defect wheels (the non white cores) - they look really good. Also, it is a proto box as well so some of the colors aren’t perfect. Just something to note.

20 Likes

It would be pretty sweet if you offered them in that natural color some day. I’d stay buying sets if I could dye them :eyes:

1 Like

It is something I want to do, but the minimum order quantity is very high.

6 Likes

Stick with what you’re doing for now, it’s still in it’s beginnings, just something to consider for future batches! :slight_smile: can’t wait to try em out.

5 Likes

Hello Everyone,

Another quick update, we have finished a lot of our production initial production issues:

• Cosmetic Issue: Flow line on the outside of the wheel. - Fixed
  • Tested and finalized the logo printing - done

One thing left to do is fixing the core color - they are green. But this is coming.

The not-so-good news is that the factory has been shut down for a week so far because of the recent COVID-19 outbreak, it could take another week to start again. China is seeing a major resurgence of COVID. Let’s hope the production team stays safe over there and we can get back to work. My factory is in Shanghai and so this is causing some issues.

I will update timeline on when the batch is completed and they board a plane. It will be very soon.

Thanks,
Doug

17 Likes

Any news about the inserts? Are they doing fine? are they done?

1 Like

Yeah, they are doing fine.

I had to redesign them and they are being retooled. I had to throw away the last tool because I had to add structural ribs inside.

I’ll post pictures when they provide them. The factory owner said they should be able to resume work next week.

4 Likes

Question, im too lazy to dig, but is there a break in period on these wheels like the cloud wheels

2 Likes

Hello, good question. No one has actually asked that before and I have not addressed it.

Yes, there is some tire scrubbing needed before you do some aggressive carving, about 25-50 (depending on your weight… more if you’re lighter and less if you’re heavier) miles at least if just doing straight line. Or you can do a ton of figure 8s still you start to see a little bit of graining. I’ll put this in the instruction manual.

14 Likes

Burn out on em til they’re “stone ground”

1 Like

One of the aspect of Cloudwheels I really dislike.

Many performance tires/wheels require a little bit of scrubbing. But it will be something I continue to work on as I get more feedback and have more budget to invest in R&D of other compounds.

Also update: Factory is still shut down. F*** me

10 Likes

damn, rip. This whole disaster is a good lesson on why its good to manufacture locally. Ik, its more expensive and all that, but at least you get your stuff in days, not months.

3 Likes

I wish that was the case. There are no companies in the US that would have been able to make those wheels.

4 Likes

That’s what I was gonna say, good luck finding one lol