DIY wheel and sleeve casting

Airless tyre is gonna be the future also for cars. But for the moment I don’t like them. I mean esthetically. I want my skate to look as close as possible to a skate. It’s just me of course. I will have an AT for commuter but do not want to leave the thane forever. I just like the feeling and look. I agree that for comuniting thane can be tricky. I use it everyday and sometime I think why? :joy:

1 Like

It does get funny when you try to categorize a Bajaboard as a skateboard, which it still technically is. It’s almost closer to an ATV.

5 Likes

Yeah I don’t get the appeal. So big so much power. Kinda beats the purpose to the extreme.

1 Like

A sleeve service would make you a vendor?

Excellent that you’ve shared this killer technique but some of us are too lazy, busy or indifferent to additional DIY when we are already struggling with what we are working on.

Personally speaking, I have a set of Maytech hubs I’ve never used and frankly not really into. Not now but if I were to resurrect them, a 100mm cush. travel board would be lovely. Already have some MBS for the front.

If I could buy a pair of replacement sleeves and send them direct that would make me a possible buyer (at some time)

Something to consider offering since you have the mold and setup and trials already done

3 Likes

:thinking::blush: The liquid PU is too expensive and has a short shelf time. I could do one run like a groupbuy where I know I would use up a whole pack. There are so many warning signs I have never seen before on it that I might fear for my health doing that though :joy:

10 Likes

Good ol German warning labels

2 Likes

@visnu777 those sleeves you made with PMC 780. Did you by any chance made a compression test before installing them?

whats that? Checking for rebound value? Nah, I’m a computer scientist, no engineer :smiley: I do that stuff inventor-like, no calculations, just fast logical thinking :slight_smile: The sleeves work, maybe its because of the orginal pu core, i don’t know :smiley:

3 Likes

No I mean how did it feel in your hand. Was it very soft or more stiff.

2 Likes

This is one of the best threads ever.
Danke Michael for this innovating stuff.
Little tip because i know about silicone molds. get some sort of plastic or metal ring inside the liquid silicone to precise the mold and for longer lasting life. the more stiff plastic inside the more precise is the mold.
PEACE

they felt similar to the diyeboard replaceable sleeve pu, not the best on the market but for my cause it is great.

1 Like

@City-Blade-101 Thanks but there are better casters out there, hope they’ll join this thread :wink:

fuck for better or not. You are doing cool stuff. Next time do some plastic inserts and you will see i am right.
I am ZT and know a lot about forming. Just sad you had this idea first hahahaha just kidding.

Would like to DIY some good looking gummie clones, can anyone help me out and design a mold for them?

1 Like

Here is my project. Hope you guys like it.

3 Likes

Going to try to make this into a gummie clone

Anyone able to help me turn this into a 3d printed mold or a 3d file?

Design will need a bit of refining, black circles/tunnels meant to be a copy of where superstar hubs screws are meant to go. I am not sure if the screws by themselves mounted through the urethane will be okay (for the drive systems) or a hub that allows more urethane than regular hubs will be needed.

3 Likes

You can PM me with some more information, might have time to model something this weekend and I can also print the model if you want.

1 Like

Hey guys does anyone know where i can get white 74A-78A urathane for casting some sleeves please or clear stuff that i can add a white dye to :grin::ok_hand::ok_hand: ive got a really good mould maker on board and if all goes well ill share everything on here :+1::+1:

1 Like

@visnu777 Would you be able to share the file for the 3D printed center sleeve? I’m hoping to do pretty much the exact same thing for my V2.

1 Like

Its nothing special but here:
CenteringMeepoV2.stl (37.6 KB)
I’m not 100% percent sure it is the one for the Meepo but should be.
Basically its a cylinder with a m8 sized hole and something that fits the cover plate of the hubs :slight_smile:

3 Likes