Casting my own Wheels

Hey Guys,

i just wanted to share my results of casting my own wheels. I was inspired by @visnu777. Next mold will be completly closed, since i wasn’t sure how it would turn out i kept it open to see how this stuff behaves. But i am amazed how easily it got into every corner, but it was probably also because i made sure there are no 90 degree angles in my design. Anyway here are the pictures. Still some flaws in it but ok.

So what is left to are to mill my Hubs, but in the meantime i will print some hubs and use them.

Edit: These wheel have 160mm diameter. I want to recreate a soft ride while also having the good properties of Polyurethane.

31 Likes

Now THIS is DIY! So inspiring, soon we’ll be sharing secret thane formulas next… what sort of sorcery is going on here?

8 Likes

Just used off the shelf Polyurethane from Kaupo, PMC Series, in this case 770. The stiffness is quite perfect. I could imagine using an airless style wheels for more cushy ride.

4 Likes

You could technically drill equal holes in it like the aeboard wheels!

1 Like

I will do something like that in my next batch.

2 Likes

Fabulous!

1 Like

These are incredible!
You are now required by law to post your process.

4 Likes

Be a gem and make us all some raptor hub sleeves? :rofl:

14 Likes

Wow :slight_smile: Link this in the casting thread, we need more of this :slight_smile:

5 Likes

If you want to do some bad weather wheel sleeves i suggest you try some rubber next. You will have to experiment a bit i think, but rubber behaves much much better on wet surface than urethane.
Urethane looses grip almost completely on wet surface, rubber does not.

1 Like

hahhaha yeah that would have been a best seller for some time. Except the bad quality of their thane the main problem is another one. The wheel sleeves on the r2 come off in summer time, when the roads are hot and the urethane gets a bit softer than usual. It expandsthe sleeve) bc of the heat of the motors and the road. Rotation does the rest of the job to kick the sleeve into the universe. Why is it that way?
If you take a closer look on r2 hubs you will see that the sleeves are just bolted in the can(rotor) with a few screws(4?), with an aluminium shield in order to hold the sleeves in place; a rounded sleeve on a rounded can(rotor)!
This is build to come off if you ask me, bc if its not heat deforming the urethane then its the spin of the motors at some point. Under perfect conditions spin and heat go hand in hand.
The solution is to always wedge the wheelsleeves first and to use much more screws to mount a solid shield on the motors, and this is not a point of budged, its knowledge…

…you may know this brand and video but they had the same problem, just at higher speed :rofl:
edit: sorry for highjackin
3 Likes

also the heat generated from the hubs deteriorates and dries out whatever particular urethane formula is…

recipe for disaster

2 Likes

yeah , but wheel sleeves dont last that long anyways, which is no problem imo because if its build right, a change is the easiest thing on earth.
Nextboard found another solution than wedging the sleeves.they found a way to connect the urethane to the core in a way it cannot get off and then just bolted the core sleeve with an alu core on the can.

3 Likes

lots of ways to do it wrong… few ways of doing it correctly!

1 Like

dont get me wrong, im not a professiol eskate builder, but lots of things observing on brands makes me wonder.

Yeah Rubber is King. But how and where to get it the hard thing. If have any info I would appreciate.

2 Likes

Cough cough raptor 2 hubs cough cough cough :smirk:

3 Likes

i know @hummieee did his first wheel sleeves from rubber. Maybe he has a good to go for ya :wink:

Are we talking real rubber? Because that stuff has to be vulcanized. I would be a surprise if he did that.

1 Like

Dont know, only thing i know he used rubber of some kind.
I saw you found @visnu777 thread. Maybe he has an idea what material is the right to start with.