DIY wheel and sleeve casting

This is one of the best threads ever.
Danke Michael for this innovating stuff.
Little tip because i know about silicone molds. get some sort of plastic or metal ring inside the liquid silicone to precise the mold and for longer lasting life. the more stiff plastic inside the more precise is the mold.
PEACE

they felt similar to the diyeboard replaceable sleeve pu, not the best on the market but for my cause it is great.

1 Like

@City-Blade-101 Thanks but there are better casters out there, hope they’ll join this thread :wink:

fuck for better or not. You are doing cool stuff. Next time do some plastic inserts and you will see i am right.
I am ZT and know a lot about forming. Just sad you had this idea first hahahaha just kidding.

Would like to DIY some good looking gummie clones, can anyone help me out and design a mold for them?

1 Like

Here is my project. Hope you guys like it.

3 Likes

Going to try to make this into a gummie clone

Anyone able to help me turn this into a 3d printed mold or a 3d file?

Design will need a bit of refining, black circles/tunnels meant to be a copy of where superstar hubs screws are meant to go. I am not sure if the screws by themselves mounted through the urethane will be okay (for the drive systems) or a hub that allows more urethane than regular hubs will be needed.

3 Likes

You can PM me with some more information, might have time to model something this weekend and I can also print the model if you want.

1 Like

Hey guys does anyone know where i can get white 74A-78A urathane for casting some sleeves please or clear stuff that i can add a white dye to :grin::ok_hand::ok_hand: ive got a really good mould maker on board and if all goes well ill share everything on here :+1::+1:

1 Like

@visnu777 Would you be able to share the file for the 3D printed center sleeve? I’m hoping to do pretty much the exact same thing for my V2.

1 Like

Its nothing special but here:
CenteringMeepoV2.stl (37.6 KB)
I’m not 100% percent sure it is the one for the Meepo but should be.
Basically its a cylinder with a m8 sized hole and something that fits the cover plate of the hubs :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Would it be possible to cast wheels onto wheels>? drill a bunch of holes to lock it on.

2 Likes

Thats what I did with the latest casts

:wink:

3 Likes

Today I joined your caster’s club :v:

Why not just bying some? Well, I did, but they didn’t quite fit to my DIY Hubmotor (too tight), so I had to DIY again :smiley:

For the outer ring of the mould I used an ordinary aluminium pipe and machined a simple ring groove into another aluminium part for centering the outer ring and the inner one (being the core of my sleeve).

Basically I used visnu777’s manual and same PU.

1. Application of release agent on mould (Spray, distribute with brush, spray again, wait for 30 mins):

2. Assembly of mould, stiring of both PU components for 3 mins, casting slowly to prevent air bubbles)

3. Curing for 2 days, easy removing from mould:

4. Some tempering at 65° in order to further improve physical properties

5. Magic amber sleeve is done :sweat_smile:

@visnu777: Thanks a lot! Without your post here I wouldn’t have even thought about casting wheels or sleeves at home at all! :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Wow, great job! How does it ride?
:man_facepalming: Stupid me, you didnt try yet right? :smiley: Thought the bubbles were dirt :wink:

3 Likes

I didn’t try yet, because the second sleeve is still curing. But with 10mm PU I expect it to be as hard as the sleeves of maytech and Co :laughing:

This time I tried to pour it even slowlier than the first time, to prevent those bubbles. But they aren’t as bad in reality as they seem on the picture. The lamp amplifies them a lot :smile:

I was too stingy to spend another 20€ for the black pigments. I guess, if the sleeve was coloured you wouldn’t notice those bubbles at all

2 Likes

Maybe this is already known (didn’t read the whole thread), but the conclusive way to remove bubbles is to put the whole assembly in a vacuum chamber after pour.

I’ve made a half dozen sets of Smooth-On urethane 30 duro tires with 3D printed molds and they’ve all turned out excellent for their intended use.

2 Likes

Yeah thats looking pretty pretty, doooood.
Awesome job! Curious on how they feel in the streets.

1 Like

Yeah, what @sleepless said and/or mix up the thane under vacuum, so there will be no bubble from the beginning if you let it flow slowly into the mold.
PIGMENTS? I would use tons of glitter bc im brave :dancer: :dancer: :dancer: :dancer: :handshake: :muscle:

1 Like

Yup, that’s what smooth on advices as well but for one set of sleeves I didn’t want to buy another machine or tool. My little flat and cellar is already stuffed with tools for my boards :sweat_smile:
Don’t want to overtax my girlfriend’s acceptance :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes