DIY Onewheel Hoverboard

Looks like you split the whole damn thing in half. You could try gluing it back together/down but you have a high chance of making it rub if it is not fully back into place.

Replacing could be possible with a ton of effort, all the old glue would make putting the new one in near impossible imo.

I guess take the whole thing apart carefully with a hammer…

I want to see the magnet gluing job if there is no mechanical locks for them.

1 Like

this space needs to be filled but its really tiny space.

So in actuality, they are just getting those 2 points of contact to spread out the magnetic load. If we fill it with something it might be able to spread the load much easily and there will be less chance of breaking.

1 Like

I tried to run the motor in this state it won’t even run

1 Like

Dear lord where did I say to do that? I asked if you could even get it apart!

I did that before I posted it over here

1 Like

oh would love to see the pic of the magnets lacking glue, so I know what the job would be like.

In the last week I have battle hardened 9 motors!

what if I remove the magnet and try to run

1 Like

Well I hope you would get far enough!

The G-Flex epoxy I used was very low-viscosity when mixed at a high room temperature. It seemed to be able to flow into some very small gaps.

Depending on the amount missing after you cover the exposed rust-prone iron core of the magnet with epoxy it could be good to go. Half missing idk.

1 Like

I just used the broken magnet. Mine looked like yours. I put a little bit of epoxy on the broken sides of the magnet and also behind it, like you showed in your diagram. The only tricky part is that the magnets are really strong, so it can be difficult to line it up right, but mine wasn’t too bad. As long as you use proper epoxy like JB Weld (don’t use dollar store stuff), then the force of the magnet + epoxy will hold it in place really good.

1 Like

It broke like this and now I am thinking to fill it with epoxy or erolite

Should I remove the broken pieces or just stick them together

1 Like

Tbh just get a broken hoverboard and take a motor from that its not worth the time to do this half-assed fix (its never going to end up as good as it was) :slight_smile:
Magnets should be replaced and its close to impossible to get matching ones imo there are no specs etc. A broken hoverboard can be bought for 20-50$ :slight_smile:

Damn those are tiny magnets in comparison to a onewheel hub motor. Uploading: 20200205_122122.jpg…

1 Like

Hello,
I have convert an hoverboard like your video and it works great. Just tilt angle is not confortable. I wonder if I buy an dual flipsky vesc 4.20 with mpu 6050 if I could have stabilisation like ow xr.?
Bionic24 you have do this mod?

Uploading: IMG_20210512_180033.jpg… Uploading: IMG_20210511_163111.jpg…

2 Likes

Does the stock Hoverboard battery fit in its original shape? or do you need to reconfigure the cells so it sits flatter? Thx!

Hai Duke,

The original design has the battery protruding through the underside it was designed in this way. So yes the original design fits the standard configuration of the cells, but is not particularly pretty nor safe. I would recommend to reconfigure the cells, this is fairly easy and possible without spot welding. In this topic people discussed about the reconfiguration before. Together with that information I think you’re able to figure it out.

PS Here is the closed battery side version. Diy Onewheel Closed battery side by Nathan_I3 - Thingiverse

1 Like

@Bionic24
Hi, have you thought about making a special firmware for the main board of the hoverboard. If you connect the mpu-6050, you can control the tilt. I started to learn this based on the EmanuelFeru FOC firmware. but more knowledge in programming is needed …

1 Like

Hey guys,

I’m in the process of building a Onewheel out of hoverboard motors myself.
But instead of using the hoverboard ESC, I want to use two VESCs (Cheap FOCer 2).

I have them up and running on their own, and I have also connected them over CAN. The master can detect the slave, and I can program the slave through the master.
But I can’t seem to grasp how to actually let the master-vesc control the slave while in balance mode.

I’ve been trying to read up on things, trying to fiddle around in the Vesc tool, but I just can’t seem to get them to work together.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of setup, and maybe could shed some light on this?

Thanks in advance!

3 Likes

Hi I use two hoverboard motor with vesc 4.2 dual flipsky for a diy onewheel. I have pb with pid balance or motor setup. For working dual motor you have to desable with of all uart or remote controller section. And active multiple vesc true in balance app.

1 Like

Thank you very much! I will try it as soon as I get the chance!