DIY based on Evolve gt carbon- Now continue with DIY gen 2

I never bought brand new industrial board, always look at it as marriage with some manufacture.

few months ago I got myself two evolve used boards and decided to build myself DIY based on the carbon gt. the setup was ready, I managed to fit inside 12s4p, 6368 motors and DV6S esc.

All that changed on the second I got my brand new Hadean :heart_eyes:
perfect board, no words. Evolve costumer service is amazing and I’m really happy to have it.

The Hadean deck is bigger and heavier, and all the rides feel completely different in a good way. but still, there is something really nice it the slim gt design that make me want to keep it.

the new plan is to keep the gt with lightweight street setup but still keep good performance.

New setup:

• Flipsky 5065 140kv motors
  • Belt drive
  • Evolve 107 wheels
  • DV6S esc
  • Molicel P28A 12S3P
  • Daly 12S BMS
  • Custom ESC heatsink, magnetic mudguards
  • VX4 remote

The other parts left will go to different project I will post after :slight_smile:

4 Likes

First step was making the deck look better…
I got from Evolve new gears, belt covers and grip tape. the motor plates had a lot of scratches so I used “Aluminum black” to fix them

3 Likes

Electronics:
The DV6S is really small size esc, never had one but unfortunately I can’t get stormcore anymore.

Right now I’m working on heatsink that will be engraved after coating. hope to cut it during the week.

5 Likes

Well now I feel dumb for completely stripping and painting some scratched up aluminum motor mounts when I could have just sanded it and then add that stuff on it :upside_down_face:

There were scratch marks that would have been super visible even if covered in black without sanding down the raised materials. The rest of the mounts didn’t really need to be repainted though but I did it because I used spray enamel paint

1 Like

I heard about that material only by mistake from one of the engineers in my office, smell so bad but do amazing job after few attempts.
At some point I just decided it’s good enough…

wtf is that silver build looks sick :slight_smile: and what trucks are those?

1 Like

Idea deck?

2 Likes

@JesseM @Esk

That’s another project :slight_smile: @NoWind Etoxx amazing trucks

The universal board- 3 in 1 built thread (updating, going to be really special) - DIY Builds / Battery Builds - esk8.news: DIY Electric Skateboard Forums

Progress for today, Final testing for the mud guards fit before CNC and MJF printing

also, esc heat sink test before cnc. it was good to make because the model I found online doesn’t fit the board…
added makerX dv6s mounting holes

Yesterday I had a chance to cut the heatsink for the makerx esc.
added mounting holes and also tpu gasket to design.

later stage I will do the anodize and engraving based on the new pattern. tumbler andcoating will make it more smooth by texture so it will be better surface for engraving.

1 Like

After few days riding it I can definitely say I’m super satisfied!

The battery still waiting for shrink tube from Aliexpress, until than I put the original battery.
it’s lightweight compared to the Hadean and I really prefer to take it with me when I need to carry my board. the reverse for me is a big issue and also makes me prefer the DIY in the city.

Adding picture of the inside, still need to share with you the lights installation and the battery :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This looks awesome!

1 Like

Thank you @Bavioze

Next stage was LED installation to make it nice as my Hadean
for that I ordered simple kit from AliExpress (10 days to arrive to the states…). Evolve can sell you nice kit cheap but I like to work harder.

what you need is:

• GB WS2812B led strip, black, IP65

WS2811 WS2812B WS2813 WS2815 5050 RGB Smart LED Strip Individually Addressable IC 30/60/144Pixels/Leds/m Tape Light IP30/65/67 (aliexpress.com)

• SP110E bt driver (you can use other but that one is good and really cheap, that make sure it fit your led type)

WS2812B WS2811 Pixels LED Strip Controller Wifi /Bluetooth /Music
Controller SP108E SP511E SP801E SP110E SP105E SP107E DC5-24V - AliExpress

• voltage regulator to 5V (depends on input voltage you have)
    *Latching switch

you can also feed it from the esc if it have good power outputs, I don’t like it personally.

The Led strip attached really good to the carbon deck, had to clean it good with alcohol before. I also sealed it with silicone under the shrink on the edges.
The app is really nice, have 120 different auto mods and also solid lights, even better than what evolve give you.

4 Likes

I ended up removing light on my GTRc, the way the led sits where you pick it up irritated the shit out of me.

Are they waterproof led? They dont look like theyre covered

I was afraid it will bother be but can’t feel them at all…

The led strip have thick soft silicone on it, quality seems to be really good.

Did u power both led strips from a single controller ? Did u need a splitter ? Thx

Hi
Yes, you can connect them in series or parallel and it will affect the pattern of the light. in my board the +/-/S are in parallel to the driver output.

1 Like

The 12S battery installed and the performance are really great! I need to open it again soon to add some DIY pcb to control the led so the thread will continue later.

now, lets continue this thread with another evolve DIY build- Gen1 carbon :slight_smile:

First, I will say big thank you to @Ricardo I really owe you a lot of credit, that was my favorite deck and you made me really happy when you got me that board. be sure that I will text you on my next UK visit for a ride.

I had really old trucks so I left them few minutes in paint remover and might powder coat them again later. for now it look good.
if you know this deck you know that you can’t use the regular motor mounts and trucks since it’s hitting the tail. one option was to cut the tail and the other to go on different mount.
I got used gear set with wheels and motors from really nice guy here - @Kvothe

the benefit of using the Idea gear is the option to adjust the angle:

Current setup I will use:

• Idea gear drive 1:2
  • 6354 190kv motors
  • original evolve gt battery 10S
  • makerx DV6S esc
  • VX4 remote
  • Evolve 97mm wheels ice green
3 Likes

Glad to see the deck put to good use! Which trucks are those? I used 15.2’’ dkp trucks from flipsky

1 Like

Gonna be super saggy with that battery .
U should upgrade :joy: u can fit a 14s4p in there​:man_dancing:t2: