DAVEGA X: Gauging interest

That’s unexpected. I might have accidentally shipped with an older FW but it seems unlikely. Which FW version did you have and which you have upgraded to? When it’s starting, is it showing “DAVEGA X bootloader v1” or is there a different bootloader version?

Sorry, I was talking about vesc firmware. My Davega was shipped with 1.0

Of course! :man_facepalming: That makes a whole lot more sense. :slight_smile:

Do you happen to remember which VESC FW you had before the update? Ideally DAVEGA would support all versions so I’d like to look into it.

1 Like

And don’t forget… We should be able to play Tetris or Snake on it with the new Firmware :wink:

4 Likes

Obviously. I actually feel ashamed I didn’t include these critical features in v1. I shouldn’t even call it a MVP.

Do you prefer to control the snake with the buttons while stationary or with your remote while riding? If the latter, may I propose “add throttle” = “turn left”, “brake” = “turn right”. And if you hit the wall it will lock your brakes so that you’re punished with a streetface. That sounds like a lot of fun. Putting on the backlog right now. :smile:

5 Likes

May I ask why not go open source? Even though I doubt I’ll have time in the near future to dive into it and customize it to my liking, I just prefer every component in my board being open source, just as a bit of added trust that it won’t deliberately kill me :stuck_out_tongue:

+ if something happens to you / you end support, if the code was open then the community could still write updates to support newer hardware versions / fix bugs / add new features.

Probably because certain companies have made money off of his last open source version without adequate compensation for him.

11 Likes

Certain open source licenses can eliminate that problem cough GPL cough

There’s already an open source DAVEGA. I’m hoping to start a small business with the new one. I’m not yet sure if it’s viable but want to give it a try. Making it open source then essentially means giving all the development work to the competition for free.

12 Likes

Certain companies in certain countries don’t give a damn about the license. Plus, GPL doesn’t prevent commercial use. The old DAVEGA is GPL. VESC is GPL.

5 Likes

Fair enough. I think GPL 2 and 3 might have had some important differences to that regard, but maybe it’s another license that would prohibit monetary sales from people other than the original author.

Good luck with the business venture – it may not make you rich due to the small market for these things, but if you enjoy doing it then that might be more important to you :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s exactly the point. Thanks!

7 Likes

[quote=“janpom, post:332, topic:5203”]
I’m hoping to start a small business with the new one. I’m not yet sure if it’s viable but want to give it a try
[/quote] there is definitely a market for this.

1 Like

I was using focbox on firmware 2.18. Updating to the latest supported vesc tool version 3.61 made it work.

1 Like

I used a washing machine dampener with duct tape on one side to seal the hole in the trampa deck🤣

6 Likes

A bit ago I branched the open source version, rewrote the display drivers, integrated a touch screen, and added some more functionality as well like a realtime graph display you’d find on the Proton board. I have to make another update of it over on my thread about it with the newest developments but expect it to go open source after I finish the LED controller menus to drive and animate LED strips for boards.
I’ll have the option to use the legacy davega screens, but I got my UX engineer at work to start mocking up some new layouts/and look for mine as well.

2 Likes

So I had to relocate my horn to the underside becaus it used to be where the buttons are. Other than that install was really easy. Good job guys. This is one sexy piece of tech!

5 Likes

Fucking slick boyz. @janpom and @LR-designs made love together and this popped out. :+1:

13 Likes

Just got mine and tested it, looks amazing! Can’t wait for future updates! :smiley:

A few things:

My display cuts a little bit off the top and the bottom. Is this normal? Or in the future, can the “width” of the display be adjusted?

I know testing has been done but has anyone experienced any issues with vibration? I ride a carbon board that’s extremely stiff. I’ve added about 12mm of shock pads but it’s still pretty rough and I worry that the vibrations may mess with Davega

@janpom, do you mind providing the outline of the bottom of the top half of Davega (if that makes sense).
My board isn’t a drop through and the battery is mounted in a cavity with an opening on the top. I was hoping to 3D print a spacer between the bottom mounting plate and davega with a small gap so I can snake out the vesc cable.

Yes, there’s a 5 pixels border because the housing is covering a very small piece of the display in the corners. That’s because of the rounded corners. This is intentional. We could of course make the opening in the housing bigger but then the white plastic of the display would be visible and it doesn’t look nice. So we decided to sacrifice a few pixels for a cleaner look.

I regularly ride with it on cobble-stone and it’s fine. I get occasional DAVEGA restarts when I hit a curb. I’m the only one though. None of the other testers have experienced the restarts. @SeanHacker has done some rough riding with it and it was OK. BTW, even if it restarts, it’s not a big deal. You may miss out 0-100 meters on your odometer since it only persists the data every 100 meters traveled but that’s about it.

I’ll talk to @LR-designs about what we can provide. We’ll get back to you.

Yes, that sounds a good idea. Or maybe file a groove in the bottom of the baseplate?

1 Like