DAVEGA X: Gauging interest

I try my best to beat the shit out of beta products. So far, DAVega wins. It’s rock solid.

7 Likes

I know it’s not visible but that bottom plate looks nice so I don’t really want to cut anything into it :sweat_smile:

I also figured a plastic spacer is either much easier to cut or just print directly to shape. The spacer may also act as a dampener too. Which gets me thinking, maybe I should just cut up a rubber riser.

Another benefit with spacer is you can increase the cavity space underneath DaVega. Not sure why you would want to but I’m sure somebody can figure out a good use for that space haha.

Is there a manual written for DaVega? I had some questions regarding to operations:

What does setting the battery percentage do? Is that a programmed cutoff warning?

Or you could make a thick-ish gasket to put between the baseplate and the housing. That would also help with waterproofing so you would kill two birds with one stone.

Not yet, sorry. It’s on my TODO list.

It shows the (estimate of the) battery state of charge in percent. It’s based on the VESCs coulomb counter. You have to set the battery capacity in mAh for it to work correctly. Also, the “usable capacity” setting is important. For new batteries, this will typically be around 80%. It gets lower over time though.

To get the best results, I recommend that you first decide how low you want to discharge your batteries (say 3.3V), and then adjust the “usable capacity” such that you end up with 0% and 0 remaining range exactly at the time when your battery voltage drops to the target value. This may require a few iterations. If you get to 0% too early increase the “usable capacity” and vice versa.

At any rate, this is only indicative. It won’t mess up with your VESC settings and/or do any kind of cutoff.

2 Likes

@annihil8ted Here’s the STL file for the baseplate. It should help with designing your riser if you decide to go that route.

2 Likes

Did you route the wire under the board? And how did you attach it? Ive sticked it on the underside of my board with elevtrical tape but im not really satisfied with it

I was getting really bad cutouts when offroading due to a loose connection. I need to get the new model back on my mtb and give it another test with some more security.

My 3d printed baseplate snapped in Colorado :frowning:

@janpom is there any way I can order just the metal top case? I got the metal baseplate already from LR and am worried about the 3d printed cover breaking.

Sure, please PM me.

Ahh bummer to hear that :frowning:

I am planning to keep the metal base plate and just adding a plastic spacer between the base plate and top so I can snake out the vesc cable.

I use 3M double sided VHB tape and stick the wire to the board and then I cover it with a layer of gorilla tape and then a layer of clear waterproof gorilla tape. That way nothing moves and shrapnel takes a few months to get to the wires, by that time I’ve already replaced the top tapes

1 Like

@janpom I’m getting a lot of interest on this from my Facebook and Instagram. Let us know when you’re ready for an other batch. I’ll sell the shit out of it if I can drop a link

3 Likes

That’s great! Feel free to share https://davega.eu/. There’s not much there but it does have the important links. Thanks.

I have another 12 units ready that only need a display. The displays arrived today and I should be able to finish the assembly early next week. These all are already reserved but I have parts for more and also @LR-designs has agreed to help with the assembly so we’ll be able to make a lot more before too long.

6 Likes

Awesome. I added the link to the posts.

2 Likes

What’s the purpose of wifi again?

FW updates. You’re at the latest version now but a minor update is soon to come out.

1 Like

Been waiting on this just when my battery craps out AGAIN!!! The universe is against me

4 Likes

Another quick thought, has wireless uart been attempted or considered?

It would eliminate the need for the cable at the cost of more complicated/expensive design. Plus, you need to power the device somehow, i.e. would need a battery and charging. Sounds more annoying to me than having to route a cable.

You could buy a cheap small cellphone for a wireless solution.

7 Likes

My main motivation for this is to avoid routing a cable through my deck haha but you’re right, it would involve some work.

I may do it anyways for science :laughing:

Is it okay to post technical questions here? Assuming I want to do wireless uart, what’s the baud rate for DAVEGA? Or I guess I could also check from the vesc end?

Sure.

Good luck with your tuning. Keep us posted. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is there a bt VESC app that displays the stats like DAVEGA? Mounting a cheap wireless phone seems like a good option. mounted onto your wrist or something, so you dont need to look down

1 Like