DAVEGA X: Gauging interest

If one ever comes out using bluetooth to connect, it would be so much easier to use :D.

1 Like

I’m currently looking at making davega wireless but I was only going to focus on making the communication between the vesc and davega wireless. I already have a couple of transparent UART transceivers I need to test.

Just curious but why would BT make it easier to connect? I ask because I toyed with the idea of also making the uart BT accessible but dismissed it due to potential complexity and cost.

2 Likes

I already have a bluetooth module installed in my board, so it would be so much easier to connect it to the device, and have it work, instead of opening everything and installing something else. Plus for some people, both of their uart ports are used so we don’t really have any other option to do it.

1 Like

It’s also an odometer, which is the most important feature to me. Mobile apps also have the odometer functionality but it only works correctly if you always have the app on while riding, which may not be the case. Davega, on the other hand, is always on while you’re riding.

I personally use both davega and Metr. While there’s some overlap in the functionality, they complement each other nicely. Metr’s logging is awesome for troubleshooting. It’s also great for changing your VESC settings quickly. Davega is better as live data monitor and odometer.

9 Likes

Hmm maybe I’ll order some BT chips too then and see where that takes me.

1 Like

Oh but there Is

4 Likes

I’m a beta tester for @Ricco. We’ve got a uart splitter in the works. It’s called usplit and allows up to three uart devices on one uart port. Coming soon!

4 Likes

Literally seconds apart w the same answer

1 Like

2 Likes

I was almost a beta tester but I’m still putting the build together. Wouldn’t have been able to really test for him.

1 Like

It’s coming along well.

1 Like

How hard would it be to implement a clock on the board? I know we don’t like phantom power draw of course.

My watch band broke yesterday and stopping to check my phone while riding is hecka annoying.

4 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

This is a very good idea :point_up: I often stop to check my phone for the time. I dont bring my watch since I dont want to ruin it in case of a crash.

1 Like

There’s no user friendly way of doing it with FW update only. The MCU is capable of measuring elapsed time while it’s running (you actually get the uptime and time riding) but there’s no way for it to know what time is it when you turn it on.

You would have to allow it to connect to Internet so that it can get the current time or set the current time manually. It would be able to show the time henceforth (until you turn it off). I could add a “sync time” menu item. It’s fairly easy to implement. It just seems user unfriendly. I wonder if anyone would use it on regular basis.

2 Likes

Maybe my timer idea could be an easy solution. An elapsed “time riding” displayed would be comparable to a clock. Maybe have it reset along with the tripometer so a short power off doesn’t reset it. It could also be manually startes and stopped like a stop watch. Just shooting ideas around!

Shit I thought you were joking.

The FW v1.1.0 is out. It only has minor changes:

• settings: Misc > voltage display: “avg cell” or “pack total” (@deckoz, @mackann)
  • settings: Misc > reset lifetime data
    • careful with it; there’s no undo :slight_smile:
  • FW downloads without the workaround described below

Unfortunately, the FW update isn’t completely without trouble. If you try to update in the standard way, it will likely fail with a memory error. The FW download is hungry for memory. In the earlier versions, davega would restart before performing the download in order to free up memory. I thought I optimized the code for memory enough to afford doing the download without the restart. Bad idea. Lesson learned.

Fortunately, there’s a workaround. Here’s how to do the update.

• power off your board (and davega)
  • power the board on again while holding davega middle button
  • as soon as the menu shows up on davega, release the button (otherwise you will exit the menu; you don’t want that)
  • do the FW update

By entering the menu immediately after startup, no VESC communication will happen and enough memory will be saved to complete the FW update successfully.

Apologies for the inconvenience. As soon as you manage to install v1.1.0, you shouldn’t need any workarounds for FW updates henceforth.

Please let me know if the FW update has worked for you and also if you experience any problems. Good luck. :crossed_fingers:

9 Likes

it works

5 Likes

I want one so bad!