Davega problems or questions

Has anyone else had the issue where davega reads a fair bit under what the VESC sees? Mine is showing 49.5V fully charged and the VESC is seeing 50.2V, it doesn’t fill the battery meter up on the davega and it’s triggering my OCD!

2 Likes

I had a similar issue, and Jan said that the davega reads only what the vesc sees, and that there’s likely a slight variation between your vescs (I figure you’re plugging the non-davega vesc into your computer… Otherwise I dunno). He reccomend I switch the vesc that it’s connected to (though I was too lazy to bother :man_shrugging:t2:)

3 Likes

That’s a VESC issue. A well known one.

2 Likes

I thought this was normal. I’ve been seeing this on my units for a while now. I just quickly pull up my smart bms to check the “real” reading.

2 Likes

Mine is always .6-.7 below the actual voltage, no matter where the battery is sitting on the voltage curve.

Does yours change as the battery pack depletes?

This. Always.

1 Like

can’t seem to change the man screen to show speed anyone know whats up?

It doesn’t show speed when you’re stationary. Then the speed is 0 and you know that so it would be redundant information. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Ahhh! Lol right on. Thank you!

2 Likes

The green blinking light, it turns red sometimes. What does that mean?

Connectivity

1 Like

It means it didn’t receive a valid response from the VESC. If it’s less than 1 in 10, it’s nothing to worry about.

1 Like

@janpom do I need to swap the connector for the davega for Stormcore… I think I had gotten it with the unity connector…
:eyes:

1 Like

Should work on the stormcore, just match up rx and tx

2 Likes

You sir are a scholar and a gentleman :eyes::joy:

2 Likes

The Unity connector should actually work for Stormcore out of the box as long as you correctly plug it in. The caveat is that the Unity has 7P UART connector whereas Stormcore has 8P UART. The first 7 pins are the same though and plugging the 7P JST housing into a 8P connector should be possible.

Alternatively you can unpin all the crimps on the cable and insert them into the 8P JST housing. All davega packages come with spare 7P and 8P JST housings.

2 Likes

@janpom went to turn on the board and just have this screen below… any solution :joy:

EDIT: even when I plug it into the computer same screen and can’t detect the davega at all…

1 Like

This unfortunately does happen occasionally due to corrupted flash memory. The root cause is still unknown. I’m unable to reproduce the issue locally.

The solution is to do a complete re-install as described below.

What exactly does that mean? It’s not detected as a new USB-connected device? That would be bad. Please double check you can’t really fix it with the davega tool as described below. Also make sure you have the latest version of the davega tool.

Worst case scenario is that you send the electronics back to me for repair or replacement. Hopefully that won’t be necessary.

I’m sorry about the hassle.

DAVEGA X: Complete re-install

1. Get access to the DAVEGA USB port. Remove the DAVEGA from your board and loosen the 4 bolts holding the PCB to the housing. Then carefully lift the side of the PCB away from the buttons and plug into the microUSB port.
  2. Download the davegax-tool from the downloads page and put it in a new directory.
  3. Download the DAVEGA firmware (.dfs) from the same page and put it in the same directory.
  4. Run the davegax-tool with the DAVEGA connected to the computer and do [1] Auto-detect port.
  5. Run the davegax-tool again and do [7] Show device ID. Note your DAVEGA ID.
  6. Go to the downloads page and download the bootloader (.bin file) for your device. Put in the same directory as the davegax-tool and the firmware. Note that the bootloader major version must agree with the firmware major version (the first number must be the same). For example, download bootloader v3.2 if you have firmware v3.1.2.
  7. Run the davegax-tool and do [5] Export filesystem. If this doesn’t work, you can also get your system backup (if you have one) from the backups page.
  8. Run the davegax-tool and do [6] Erase flash memory.
  9. Run the davegax-tool and do [3] Install bootloader. Select the .bin file you have downloaded in the step 6.
  10. Optional. Run the davegax-tool and do [4] Import files. Select your system backup file.
  11. Run the davegax-tool and do [4] Import files. Select the firmware file downloaded in step 3.
1 Like

“reset session on charge” does not work for me. I noticed it doesn’t reset (neither full nor partial charge). I have DieBieMS as a voltage source.